Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 16:24

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Question about water weight?

I've been on the atkins diet for 16 days and by day 11 I had lost 9.5 pounds. I was staying below 20 carbs a day and drinking 100 oz. of water a day. I went on a little vacation on day 12 to 14 and went over 20 carbs one day (and it was due to a salad, so I wasn't going to worry about it), but my problem was I wasn't drinking the water (none)

Now I know water is a MUST on this diet, and I gained 5 lbs. in one day. But this is the thing - was it just water weight that I had lost?

Now two days later, I'm really not drinking that much water (only a couple of glasses with meals) and I've lost 2 lbs.

What does this water do exactly? I obviously have retained 3 lbs. of water, right? I know I'm supposed to drink 64 oz a day plus some, but why? I really don't want to lose water weight. I mean I don't want to be all bloated or anything, but I really only want to lose real weight?

I hope this makes sense, and thanks for any comments for suggestions...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 18:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Erin, it can be quite confusing, i agree

Yes you lost water weight at first. Generally speaking when starting out with LC you lose a fair amount of it (up to 9 lbs is the figure i've been quoted) but you also lose fat. The reason things slow down after induction is that you're losing primarily body fat as you've got rid of the excess water. Remember it was excess water and not a simple water loss. You didnt need that water From what I've gathered from Protein Power on average we lose 1 to 2 lbs of fat a week (maximum) so while that is all you lost during induction it seemed like much more. The goal is to lose body fat continually over a longer period of time, not overnight. When you suddenly go up on the scale (or downward for that matter) you're not seeing a sudden gain (or drop) in fat, you're seing water that is being retained (or released). Fat cells hate to change so when you lose body fat they will compensate by holding onto water. It is necessary that you drink your 64 oz and then some every day to force the fat cells to let go of that extra water (resulting in a whoosh). Moral of the story is twofold: Be sure to drink your water and don't let minor weight fluctuations get you down (after all 3 lbs is minor when you take into account what you're lost already and what you're going to lose over time)

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 18:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Water is important regardless of diet. The fact is, that generally as a species, we don't drink enough water. We drink liquids that have other contents, many of those ingredients are questionable. And many of those ingredients have a diuretic (sp?) effect - like caffein and alcohol.

If you read up what those wiser than me have posted on ketosis, they say that it is a healthy idea to keep the body hydrated so that waste products move on, more quickly and easily. I could argue that is true regardless of whether or not you are in a state of ketosis.

Water weight gain, is when the body as a whole holds water. This happens when it is dehydrated (not getting enough water), during surges of hormones, and if you engage in certain foods, there is probably an impact with weather and humidity or lack thereof, too.

When you see sudden gains and losses in weight, it can be from water retention issues. It's not possible to lose 3 pounds of fat overnight or gain it.

I weigh myself every night, and can predict with great accuracy what I will weigh the next morning. I normally lose 2 pounds overnight. I will then weigh the same thing I did the morning previous.

If I indulge in bread, or in a salty food (KFC is a good example) I can guarantee that I will be UP 2 pounds the next day.

During my TOM I can gain up to 4 pounds (and that's not much compared to some)

All these are examples are water weight.

The trick is: when you have gained excess water, the best way to get rid of it is to drink water. So when I indulge in salty foods or KFC, or it's my TOM - I drink A LOT of water - it really helps. Otherwise I try to work in a steady 2-3 litres a day minimum.

And the bottom line is, drinking a steady and appropriate amount every day WILL contribute to weight loss. Drinking a lot one day and then little for the next 2 days, etc etc, just makes your body believe you are living in the desert and are moving from oasis to oasis - so it's going to try and hold onto the water it has. Make your body believe that water is plentiful and never ending, and it will be less likely to retain any.

Inital weight loss may be partially a loss in water, but that is water retained from being on a high carb - low fat diet. It's water your body didn't need, it was just hanging onto it because of the diet you were on previously.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 18:56

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hey Nat, high five
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 18:57

BF:

*lol* great timing, LC

N
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 19:20

Thanks for replying so quickly

So if at a max, I can only lose 1-2 lbs. of fat a week, a small portion of my total loss (7 pounds in 16 days), is still from water loss? I'm not saying it's bad, but I'm just curious...I know this WOL is long term, but I have looked forward to getting on the scale each morning with 1-2 lbs. gone EACH DAY...now since I done induction...this is an unrealistic goal, huh? Maybe I'll try weighing myself each week.

So I can only lose 2 lbs tops a week of real fat...what if my metabolism is crazy fast?? Still only 2 lbs . Well, it actually takes some pressure off...thanks for the info.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 21:09

BF:

1 - 2 lbs sounds like a little bit; try thinking of it in terms of percentages. And yes the bulk of what you lose at first is water as you rid yourself of the carbs and glycogen ( 1g carb will retain 3g of water). Fat is lost, and unlike a low fat low calorie diet you are not going to lose lean muscle mass, so you'll notice that youre shrinking even if the scales do not budge. Take some measurments, they will tell a more accurate story than the scales.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 21:21

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi!

I have been thinking abt my recent problem too, could be a result of water retention.

I have been seeing my scales going down, but yet not my waist n hip measurements. Is that considered losing water but not fat? I have been keeping my carbs lower than 20g, except for a particular day that it exceed slightly above 20g.

How many days usually we can get back on track when we cheat on a particular day?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 01:01

You're definitely right about the "shrinkage." My clothing is getting looser. A couple of days ago, I literally tried on all the clothes I have saved thinking I could one day fit into them again and I am already wearing jeans that I couldn't wear last winter

I'm kicking myself for not measuring myself 16 days ago because I've read a bunch of threads about how benifical it is. Alright, that will be Saturday's purchase

Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 01:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/221/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Cool H2O

It seems to me that with this woe, to lose fat you must eat fat, and to lose water, you must drink water! Every success story I have read about where they used Atkins or other LC woe, all stress the importance of water. I am truly committed to my water this time and drinking up to 4 quarts a water plus 1 diet soda a day. I have already dropped almost one clothing size after 12 days and have begun my favorite dieting past time: trying on all my old clothes. It is so fun to fit back into something I haven't been able to wear for 3 years!

Another benifit from drinking water is my skin is looking better! I used to retain a lot in my face from drinking coffee and soda all day, but since I have been drinking so much water, my skin *feels* better. And this woe seems to make me thirsty all the time anyway. Is it normal to have a dry mouth all the time? My ketostix are usually in the moderate range so I know I am in ketosis.

Great job on 9.5 lbs in 16 days!!! I am inspired everywhere!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 02:02

Default Dry mouth

The dry mouth is definitely normal, although I don't check my ketones. I find that I am constantly craving my water bottle (how wierd is that). However, ever since I went off the "water track" while on my little vacation, I have not been craving water nearly as much or experiencing the dry mouth. I have no idea what that means - whether I mental or my body loves water when I give it tons I think I'm still in ketosis because well, the breath is still not it's normal flavor (I'm brushing, promise) and I lost a pound? I will definitely start the 100 oz plus again tomorrow, just to make sure...

Good Luck Debster...we'll be trying on all the old clothes together
I'm actually now only at a 7 lbs. loss because I stopped drinking all my H20, but I will never stop again...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 02:08

Debster I was just checking out your profile...great job

You and I are in the same boat: 5'9" and have a similar goal weight (mine is alittle harsh for me, since I'm large boned, but I thought it may just happen ) We also started atkins at a similar time - I'm 10/11/2001 and you're 10/15/2001

Good luck. I'd love to hear about your progress...make sure you update your profile .
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 06:58

BF:
Thumbs up Trying on clothing

I have to admit this has become one of my favourite past times I will run up the bedroom (and the spare room, and the office.... can you say clothing horse?) after work and spend 20 minutes or so pulling on things that a) haven't fit for a year and stuff that b) used to fit 3 months ago. Talk about guiltless pleasures! My faves these days are my Xmas and New Year's party dresses. Oh how I am looking forward to the holiday season this time around!

On a more serious note, LC is right.. we need that water regardless of LC. The benefits are numerous, from the weight loss to the clearer skin. I have been a water guzzler for years, but I think now I appreciate it all the more.

Must go get a refill

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/221/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking Clothes horse

I have at least 2 closets of clothes. I have things in my closet with the tags still on them. I buy things on sale whenever possible and always tell myself it will be my incentive to lose weight, but I never have - until now!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 08:46

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi....

Now i am gulping down more water...

frankly speaking, i went for a buffet meal yesterday and i decided that only that meal i allow myself some forbidden foods ( oh well to make my money worth ). Then i remembered abt here saying drink more water. When i reached home i drank a lot of it, and had more loo sessions .

i am also trying to drink more water today. Hoping that the buffet foods wont have a great effect on my weight gain. Though my scales tell me i am gaining abt close to a kg.

Well does anyone know if this method works well to minimise weight gain?