Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 13:31

Plan: Mostly meat
Stats: 213/203/180 Male 71
BF:~20%
Progress: 30%
Default TKD - How well does it work?

Hi,

I recently started on a TKD, having done low-carbing for the past 3-4 months. A few questions to those of you who have been doing/have done TKD:

1. Does it matter what kind of high GI pre-workout carbs you use? I currently us e one of those sports drinks which contains fructose.

2. How much weight do you typically drop in a week? My weight has stayed constant for the past few weeks, and I'm wondering if the type of carbs (fructose) or increased weight-training might be the cause.

3. I don't have too much muscle soreness (DOMS) after my workouts anymore. I usually do 20 gms carbs before and 25 gms protein+10gms carbs after. Does this mean I'm not pushing myself hard enough? How sore should I be?

Thanks,

Raju
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 00:33

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

I've never noticed any difference in terms of fat loss on any particular kind of KD. I consume 25% of my calories from carbs, don't follow the GI and stopped doing all pre/post workout shakes/meals. I now only eat when I feel like it. I've had enough micromanaging my diet and prefer to keep it simple.

I wouldn't put much stock in muscle soreness, but if soreness is what you want, add a few forced reps and/or negatives to your training and you'll get plenty of it. Otherwise, change something about your training every few weeks and that should keep you moving in the right direction. I prefer to increase volume by adding weight and number of sets.

If weight has been constant for the past few weeks, then you've hit your maintenance level and it's time to drop some calories and/or up the amount of calories your burning in a day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 17:16

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I do/have done TKD a lot, but mostly because I need the extra energy for a tough cycle or workout etc. At those times, I'm more concerned with getting through the work than the weight loss.

Generally I try to eat low-gi before the workout, and then take a whey and dextrose shake afterwards. Amounts vary, depending on the type and duration of workout.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Modified CKD
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

It could be a good thing if you aren't losing weight. I mean, is it possible that you are actually gaining some muscle mass while simultaneously shedding fat? That would be an ideal TKD for most people.

As long as you're not doing some ridiculous sets of like 15 - 30+ reps all the time and as long as you're working your mucles to failure (pushing/pulling as hard as you can to barely squeak out that last rep or to just barely not be able to squeak it out), then don't worry about not being sore. Sometimes it's actually a good sign to not be sore and it means that you're getting the proper amount of protein and amino acids before and after your workout. I know if I have a whey isolate shake with amino acids (been using the Optimum Nutrition brand) before and after a workout, I rarely will feel very sore. Also, the more you lift the more it seems your body just gets used to it and you won't feel so sore anymore over time. It's normal.. don't start doing 10 sets up near your max and pushing too hard--it's a recipe for injury and I've had it happen to me and seen it happen to many other people too. I did that once and ended up not being able to lift heavy weights at all for over a year!