Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 10:54

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 155/152/139
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Cheese Curds

[SIZE=1][FONT=arial][COLOR=royalblue]

Hi all..... I am wondering if anyone knows the carb count for cheese curds.......NOT cottage cheese curd which is in the carb counter but just plain cheese curds... I love them and am hoping to be able to eat them regularly.....also....what do some of you recommend for the amount of cheese you eat per day so as not to limit your weight loss.... I have lost 5 pounds in a little over three weeks but feel I could be losing more.... I definitely keep my carbs below 20grams and walk an hour everyday as well as situps every night........any pointers about the cheese would be helpful..... I sometimes have a glass of dry white wine at night as well......should I drop this or the cheese or both for a while?

Thanks for your input.....
Marianne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 14:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi Marianne

According to Corrine T. Netzer's "Complete Book of Food Counts", cheese curds have 1g carb per oz/30g portion.. .. I love curd, growing up and living in dairy country as I have ... fresh, squeaky moist curd. Yumm ... but it still has a little lactose in it, so the carb count is a wee bit higher than the hard cheese it will ultimately become. Delicious for sure, but you can't go overboard.

Cheese seems to be a big staller for a lot of folks, mostly women (interestingly) not sure why .. possibly a hormonal connection?? from the progesterones naturally present in milk?? Who knows.

As for how much to eat in a day ... in Protein Power, the Eades recommend no more than 1 oz hard cheese per meal, combined with other protein, such as eggs, tofu or meats. Or 1 cup of soft curded cheese, such as cottage or ricotta - maximum.

Personally, I've found it necessary to limit cheese to maybe 1 or 2 ounces a few times a week tops. But everybody's different. If you're eating a LOT of cheese, and find you're stalled, that might be one of the first things to cut back on.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 06:25

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 155/152/139
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Doreen.....it was good fresh squeaky curd too nummy!!!! But I guess I won't indulge in that too much
I am sitting at my desk sipping on decaf coffee- the first time I have switched since starting this and intend to limit my cheese by having some only every other day and will see what the next week brings...... I seem to go along fine and then I creep up a couple of pounds, then back down a day or two later but it doesn't seem to fluctuate any more than that five pounds all together......so hopefully this will help.... I haven't measured myself yet though and do feel that my tummy and entire body is reducing physically, so hopefully I am not fooling myself - ha! I have to stay away from the scales every day too and will work on that....sigh!

Not giving up yet------thank you Doreen