Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 16:19

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Finding out Skinny doesn't = Fit

I've had 3 interesting conversations this past week:

#1. Was talking to my mom on the phone and she mentioned some event was about 13 miles away; I asked if she rode her bike, she laughed and said she isn't as fit as I am. She is about a size 8.

#2. Was chatting w/ a guy at a get together and mentioned I occassionally do 50+ mile bike rides. He said, "You're in a whole other class, when you do more than 50 miles at a time."

#3. Was talking w/ an acquaintence and she mentioned she should get her bike out again; she's about a size 6. So I invited her to ride w/ me. She laughed and said she could never keep up w/ me; she'd never even rode 10 miles!

I think I have always associated being fat with being unfit, and by my logic then all skinny people are fit. I guess it's not always the case that fat equates with being unfit; I'm still very fat, so I find it weird for skinny people to say I am more fit than them.

Anybody else underestimating their actual fitness level?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 06:03

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yup. I am a "big guy" 5'10" 227lbs. I am a distance runner. I would be on a job site and would need to walk up stairs in a building- Some of the skinny guys would be huffing and puffing and I would be talking as normal. I LOVE that!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 18:22

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am a distance runner, too. Having my ass beat at races by women weighing at least 100 pounds more than me (and I am already 100 pounds overweight) totally put that theory to rest for me. I regularly beat people who train well and "look like runners". I beat a skinny trainer from my gym who'd been training with seasoned competitive runners at a race earlier this year.

Skinny definitely does not equal fit.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/237.4/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Not on the fitness front, but my aunt who has ALWAYS been skinny (I'd say between 120-135) has had high blood pressure issues since she turned 40.

Granted, I'm 23, but at 250 pounds, my blood pressure is perfect, I'm not even pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is fine.

I'd say skinny doesn't always equal healthy either.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 14:13

Stats: 186/184/160 Female 5foot1inch
BF:
Progress: 8%

I understand that one forsure! I work as an instructor in a gym and I have ppl that "look" fit come into my class and they kinda look me over, with doubt on what I can do or teach them. They catch on fast though when they are huffing and ready to hurl , I'm up there feeling great and smiling! It's victory for us " chubbies" being fit has no figure I think .
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-30-10, 15:29

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thin most definitely does not mean fit. When I was a size 0 I was the weakest little thing LOL. I could barely do a push up. At 173 I was sooo strong just a bit too "thick" for my 5'10 frame. Now I'm trying to trim down and maintain or increase my strength.