Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 18:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Fries, chips may cause cancer: WHO

Last Updated Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:12:31

GENEVA - Scientists are worried that a chemical found in some starchy food might cause cancer. But on Thursday they said more research is needed before guidelines can be issued.

The substance, acrylamide, is often found in french fries, potato chips and other foods fried or baked at high temperatures – including certain breakfast cereals.

Earlier this year, a Swedish study raised concern that high levels of acrylamide in some food may cause cancer. Since then, similar findings have been found in several other countries.

But after a three-day emergency meeting of the World Health Organization (WHO), experts said it's premature to issue a warning about specific food. About two dozen scientists took part in the conference. Snack food companies and fast-food chains had been worried that consumers would be advised to change their eating habits.

"Acrylamide is of high concern because it can cause cancer in animals, and it's probable that it causes cancer in human beings," said Jorgen Schlundt, co-ordinator of WHO's food safety division.

"The experts were unanimous and clear that this is a major concern."

'We cannot give very specific advice'

The United Nations wants a central database set up so that public and private sector scientists from around the world can share information on acrylamide.

"It is a matter of high concern and we need to do research quite urgently in order to be able to reduce the levels of acrylamide in food," said Dieter Arnold, a German scientist and chairman of the WHO conference.

"On the basis of the information we currently have, we cannot give consumers very specific advice, such as 'Please avoid eating chips of this and that brand.' This will not be done," Arnold added.

"We would rather say that people should eat a balanced and varied diet, which includes plenty of fruits and vegetables, and that they should moderate their consumption of fried and fatty foods."

Health Canada said Thursday it's conducting more tests to see how high levels of acrylymide are in food.

"At this point it's too early to make any recommendations for changing diet," said Tine Kuiper-Goodman, a toxicologist with Health Canada. "We don't even know all the building blocks or precisely what is going on."

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/06/27/acrylamide_020627
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 18:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default WHO do they think they are kidding?

I am just so relieved that I can say we haven't had this stuff in my house for over 10 months. Pretty damned scary.

N
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 18:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

I think my craving for Ruffles potato chips has been effectively eliminated.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 18:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
I think my craving for Ruffles potato chips has been effectively eliminated.

"Ruffles has ridges... and a whole lot more"