Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1636   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 05:49

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori sorry on Betty. Yea the meds could be it or she could be failing a bit now just from age. I would do a phone call with Dr...explain it all and maybe he will reconsider and just put her back to the other dosage and leave it alone...she might do better on the old dosage or ? Stuff will shift fast on those 90+s out there...ugh.

Bet your DH is having a blast on his hunt trip!!

Waiting on Jazz and Nicco to report in.

------------taking mom home today. Leave Tues for beach. Of course some darn colder spell is coming in LOL kill me but I will bring heavy clothes for survival. I JUST must have a change of scenery before I break. Smell that salt air and inhale a million crab legs!

So I get my stress over mom on a diff. level. When she is on that walker I fear the fall. OMG she gets up and is more wobbly and slow and has no damn power in her arms hardly.....so every time she hits the bathroom or gets mobile for any reason, geez louise my panic sets in over the top. Last night I hear THUMP THUMP and up I go running. No mom in bathroom so I check the bedroom and there she is standing by the bed 'checking her purse' for something/nothing? and I said what was that? She says she fell against the wall and hit her elbow and head and bounced back into a standing position. GEEZ.....I said you have to hold that walker at all times while up, your balance is going off and she said yea, and I am like, yea right? OMG I can't take it when she is mobile, I am gonna have the damn stroke watching it all!

I said you might have to do assisted living if your balance goes and she said, yea maybe in a year or 3. Who knows HA but I think bro Gregg is starting to freak out on his help in the care, like he is fearing her mobility more and add in she is losing her sense of 'fear' ya know. Like she 'just does' with that brain confusion of her protect yourself mechanism kinda not there anymore ya know. I don't know...it ain't going well, more down hill faster now it all seems

OK I got leftover country pork ribs and Tbone today.

be good all
Sponsored Links
  #1637   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 07:37

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Lori- AWEFUL time for you to be dealing with Betty!!!! I sure hope she does ok until your hubby gets back. Worst case you call him back!!!!
I know you are stressed over it all! I would be too!!!!! Hang in there. Do call hubby though if you need him. GADS!!!!!

TRIG- Did the dude that hit you do any damage to your truck???? WHAT AN A$$

I know that's right you are getting outta dodge on Tue!!!!!
Goodness on the mom thing! Truly what a blessing to have your bro in it with you!

Hey NIC!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------------
Well yesterday was a absolute cluster F to the max. Worst move EVER EVER! One guy was sick the other guy was jacked up on weed and pills and ask me for more pills. He said I know you nurses have some good Sh!T around. He was banging my stuff around and broke a few things. I was livid. I called his boss who met us at the storage unit.

They got into a fight and the guy got fired right in front of me. Then my car up and died right there at the storage unit. The boss offered to go get me a new battery and I said yes. I sat there with the dog in a car for an hour until he got back.

He installed it for me and left. Seriously 5 minutes later I am headed for the highway when all my electric went out and I had no lights. I had about 10 minutes of daylight left. went to 3 hotels all sold out. Ended up here in the Red Dump Motel. 3 rooms later due to bugs I finally got to sleep about 2- when my fire alarm developed a short in it and I stomped down to the front desk like a lunatic at 4 am. I headed for my car to sleep as the front desk guy was following me with a blanket. I just can't make it up-

So he I am now in a room that is in shambles and there is no TV, and no night stands - they were redoing it. I came back in because my car has no heat. I am running on about 2 hours of sleep and still stuck in Pooler. I have already turned in the apt keys.

I am waiting for a "garage/ tire/" store to open across the street so they can put it up on racks and run a diagnostic. I am so stressed out right now.

well- sorry not a cheery note. Check in later-
  #1638   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 09:29

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

OMG Jaz......I cannot believe all that you have been thru in one day! I hope you can get the car situation figured out today.....what a mess, and stuck in that fleabag motel. Please keep us posted.

Trig....I know it is so worrisome with your Mom. It is so hard to see them failing right before your eyes. I hope you can enjoy a few beach days before coming back to make some hard decisions. ((Hugs))

Nic...What's up?

--------------

Miraculous Betty was much better today. She is made out of tough lumber, let me tell you. She was hungry this morning so I made her toast and then gave her a banana, made her a pnut butter & pickle(!) sandwich for later, she has sugar cookies and pumpkin raisin muffins that I got her yesterday. She is set until I go back at 4 this afternoon.

Exercise done and all showered. Laundry done too. Nap time!
  #1639   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 12:40

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hello friends!

Happy Sunday! I'm half watching the Ravens right now. They've been so crappy the last three days that I'm half-watching so I don't feel stressed. Plus our amazing quarterback is out sick. Not feeling great about our team at this stage.

Oh TRIG. Hugs and more hugs. You really need this trip, to destress and get away from it all. Your Mom has been doing really well for someone in their 90s for sure. It does sound like she is having some struggles now and that must be so hard to watch. I'm really glad you have your brothers to go through this with and you all can support each other. Sending you so much love.

Lori- Hugs to you too. Betty definitely seems to be having some ups and downs as well. Again, such a long life. I hope you all can get the doctor to listen more. He should. Get your nap in!

Jaz- OMG. what a frigging disaster! Sounds like your alternator; that will often go in conjunction with the battery. If you need it towed or something, get AAA. You will then have protection for a year for less than it will cost to get it towed alone. It includes towing anyway.

••••••••••••

Things are going fine here. Got my booster (pfizer) and was prepared to possibly feel crappy but I've been fine. My arm is a little sore but that's it. No aches, fever or anything. The J&J I got was way harder on me. I'm almost 24 hours post shot now so I am not expecting anything to develop.

I've been reading more lately and enjoying that.

Also been working on stockings. Things are coming together nicely which is great because then December will be pretty laid back.

I had a really good response for my two Friendsmases! I'm doing two- that way I'll just clean the house once.

That's about it from here. Chris comes home on Wednesday; tomorrow I will do a follow up with the podiatrist and see the chiropractor.
  #1640   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 15:17

BF:

Well- first and foremost- yup right on NIC- alternator. Thress hours after waiting for the ONLY place in Pooler to fix my car I am finally "home". I am a wreck I am so tired. It was THE worst day in a very long time.

Lori- I was so cheered up reading Betty has "perked" up!!!!! I so needed to hear that. I am sure you are relieved!!!!!! You are a awesome niece/family for her! Truly an angel!

I am sure you are feeling good.

Nic- boy you nailed the car issues, urghhhhhhhh....... I wonder what the issue was I only have 43,K miles on that Honda! Aren't they supposed to last to eternity?????

So cool the "kid" is coming home for a minute. Is he then staying through till Jan?

Ok- so you pulled a new word out on me........ Friendsmases. What a Christmas get together with girlfriends? I call that a cocktail party with a gift exchange! Are you doing a full blown dinner????????

I am so happy to read your posts, they are so upbeat . No pressures!

Trig- You packing yet? I am sorry to read about your mom. I agree with NIC that maybe your Bro "sees" more. I dunno. So hard!!!!!! HUGS
-----------------------------------------------------------
I am up 3 pounds- so much for one under............... Back at it tomorrow! yesterday I was at the mercy of what was at hand and it wasn't pretty. I went almost 36 hours without eating and I have had 2 hours sleep in 36 hours.

there is a bubble bath with my name on it tonight and cozy jammies and tomorrow is a new day! This is put behind me now and moving forward!

Son said he was going to divert coming today (thank goodness) to give me a day or so to decompress and visit his sister. I am good with it all. So it just sorta worked that way. He will be here early Wed.

I am going to chill - have a great night. It's over this move! On to better times.....
  #1641   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 15:58

BF:

Jaz.....SO relieved to hear that you are home and safe. Good, too, that your son is going to give you a couple days to decompress....you need it! It is amazing that you could find somewhere to get your car fixed on a Sunday...thank goodness. Sleep well and know tomorrow will be brighter...it has to be! (((Hugs)))
  #1642   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-21, 16:40

BF:

Lori-------- thank you- walked pup- now bubble bath and jammies.
  #1643   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-21, 05:00

BF:

Good Morning!

I survived! DH comes home this afternoon. I had a moment of panic when I didn't hear from him by 8 o'clock last night. I tried to text him.....nothing. Then I called him...no answer. I was imagining the worst(like I do). I called DS's phone and he answered. I asked him if everything was ok as I couldn't get a hold of DH. Yes, everything fine. As it turned out, DH had his phone on silent while they were hunting yesterday afternoon and he never turned it back on. He has been calling me everyday in the afternoon, but yesterday.....nada. The goober. Anyway, they have about 8 hours of time on the road to get home today.

Got up at my normal 4AM. My coffee pot died this morning. It has been sputtering and I knew it was on it's way out. I got out my French press and made coffee that way...still experimenting with it, but it is pretty good. I just bought it last week. I have a new coffee pot(single pod brewer) stored away, so I'll get that out later and get it ready to go.

I'll pop up to see Betty around 9 and get her some breakfast. I may run some other errands....we'll see. Not feeling very ambitious this morning.

I can't believe it's Tgiving week. This month has totally gotten away from me. I have nothing planned for Thursday. We may go to DS's....if we get invited. If not, we may be here eating hamburgers. It really doesn't matter to me. It's just another day.

Have good days!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Mon, Nov-22-21 at 05:08.
  #1644   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-21, 05:14

BF:

Lori super happy to hear Betty is perking up again.

funny on the silent phone and you couldn't get thru LOL
When I can't get hubby on the phone it irks the heck out of me.

dead coffee maker and you got a back up stored away, love that. We got one in the rv if the one in the house dies so hubby is covered too.

Nicco, sounds like you are doing good. All your ducks falling into a row....getting your stuff done and covered, you're feeling better, got the family coming for holiday and all that!

You know I never did stockings. I think only 1 year I put out a stocking for kiddo and then I never bothered again HAHA I hated filling a stocking! Presents were enough but for 'stockings' what I did was scatter some candy under the tree and called it a fast Santa drop I also bought an elf on the shelf and the damn thing never came out of the box LOL Yea me bad that way.

Jazz, omg I couldn't believe your day! That was tough to read, had to drive ya nuts for sure. Then all about the hotel and more....holy cow.....you deserve more than jammies at this point, you need a Hawaii vacation or something to get over that trainwreck LOL Cars suck rocks. Anything mechanic or any gadget etc....when they fail it can be catastrophic to your day, like when a laptop dies fast. Yikes....hope you are doing better.

---------So I am thinking how to handle mom. I think bro Greg is pushing for nursing home more cause he is burned out of all these years handling mom. I don't really wanna do a nursing home cause of Covid and more, I mean why put her in IF we don't have to do it yet ya know. But chatting with brothers and getting all this mess figured out. I might take Mom more now to give bro more of a break. Thinking about it all.

Pack rv today. don't need much at all. short trip

leave tomorrow and can't wait to see that beach. too bad it ain't warm out for swimming and all that but beggars can't be choosers, I am gonna enjoy any beach time I do get

be good all
  #1645   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-21, 07:25

BF:

Good Morning-

I slept 13 hours and feel so much better than I have for the last 3 days. Just processing all I went through it seems unreal to me! I will have a MESS on my hands when I go to unload that mess in the storage unit as they literally THREW and jammed stuff in there. I need to tell myself it is just STUFF and can be replaced. Anything I truly care about came with me. All that will be another day, and not anytime soon.

Trig- I KNOW you are ready to roll! Refresh my brain to where you are going. You know a beach is good any day of the year! Something about it- sounds, smell, feel.

Ahhhhhhhh...... I wonder if your mom is able to help you to make those decisions with you? I am sure after all you have said about your mom she would not want to be a handful. Such difficult things to go through. I was hopeful that maybe she could be more independent. Have you thought about assist living VS a nursing home? She could have her own space and get help as she needs it. She could stay there indefinitely. There are some nicer ones. A nursing home is pretty severe for those that can't do anything for themself. I dunno- hard hard.

I know you are going to enjoy your TG! Crab legs here you come! So nice you have that RV!!!! You have gotten your money out of it for sure!

Lori- I am happy your hubby headed back today and Betty is all perked up! I am with ya on TG - another day. It sounds so Grinchy doesn't it!!!???? HAHAHAHAH

So are you done with golf for the season? The tourney here ended yesterday and everyone is heading out today! There were 4-5 bus loads of people that came and the island was more "busy". It will get really quiet here in a day or so. The island invested some $$$ into making people feel welcome with all the WELCOME signs, ect....

How is sis doing these days?

NIC- My "kid" is coming Wed as well. He is staying through Saturday. See above post to you! I am happy to see you back in your groove and humming along!

Is your arm /self still feeling good from that booster?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wow that sleep felt good. Now I can shift my gears to what is next. I will tidy up a bit here for son and get a few items from the grocery . We both agreed to do fish of some sort.
I was thinking Chilean Sea bass and fresh veggies stir fry. Thankfully, my son eats very LC due to his medical issues. He doesn't eat sugar, or processed food. He eats what I do- actually he doesn't do red meat either. So he will be easy to cook for.

No sun today and damp and cool. I might just stay in jammies today and forgo the beach (SAY WHAT?!?!?) and just sorta job hunt and putter. I need a putter day.

I splurged at the store and bought some peppermint coffee. It is so good. I buy one bag a year, reminds me of Christmas.

Back later.
  #1646   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-21, 11:24

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hello!

Knocked the crap out of my to-do list today after a supremely lazy day yesterday. Hooray!

Jaz- Girl you need to rest up after such a horrid day with your car. You were really put through it. I'm glad your son is giving you a few days to get your feet under you, a move and a car disaster etc is a lot to manage for sure!

Friendsmas- it's like a Friendsgiving, just a different season. Yeah, it's a gathering of friends for dinner. I'll do some light apps and the main, and people will bring a side of dessert to share. I'm doing one group on Friday night and the other group Saturday at noon. Both groups 8-9 people. Should be fun, I think! We'll also play a game (LCR) between the meal and dessert to let things settle.

Lori- You did it, Yay!!! I knew you could and would! You did a great job with Betty too. You are such a sweetheart!

Trig- Sometimes I get annoyed with the stockings- my MIL made them (they are GORGEOUS- hand needlepointed for each grandchild) but they are HUGE. When the kids were little I could put a big VHS movie or books or something in there but now there is a whole lot of space! That being said, apparently my kids freaking love their stockings.. in some ways it is their favorite part, I am learning. So the stockings continue and it makes me happy that it makes THEM happy.

I'm actually thinking I will home-bake some things like truffles and cookies and then put those in the stocking. I get the pleasure of baking and they will have some space filled up in their stockings!

So excited about you leaving tomorrow on your trip; I think you desperately need that break. Think about your Mom a little but rest your brain a little too. I think you might be on the right track with your brother feeling a little burned out/overwhelmed. Plus having your Mom more or for longer will give you more insight into what her struggles are.

•••••••••

Not too much to add. Rested up yesterday but had no ill effects from the booster at all. A little arm soreness and that was it.

To-do list is getting shredded today, so yay for that. Some small stuff like flea/heartworm meds for dogs, change hvac filter, cancel appts, pay bills. You know, all the little crap that adds up and gets put off. Feels good to get some of that taken care of.

It has been really nice to be here for long enough to get crap here under control. I leave for DE on Saturday and am looking forward to that too! I have several things I will be enjoying while I am there- a Christmas shopping show, a Christmas village visit, an appointment to get a blinds estimate, and a 'paint and sip' with the neighborhood. All good stuff that I will enjoy, plus plenty of dog park walks. AND Dh put my new bike together so I will do that too!

I went to the podiatrist already, will go to the Chiro this afternoon. I want to vacuum the upstairs, check the boys' bedrooms to see if they need sheets or anything, and just start getting things generally in order.
  #1647   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-21, 04:37

BF:

Good Morning!

DH arrived home around 4 yesterday afternoon. It's good to have everything back to normal....well....except for the piles of "crap" all over the house. He carried all his stuff in and just dumped it in the hallway. I'll cut him some slack for a couple days before I start nagging him to get it put away.

We have been invited to DS's for Tday. Yay! I picked up a small frozen turkey yesterday just in case I had to cook, but stuck it in the freezer and will make it some other time. Betty doesn't eat turkey, so we'll come up with something different for her. She told me not to do anything special as it is just another day for her. I will make her candied sweet potatoes as she loves them and they are easy for her to eat. Meat is a big problem as she is unable to chew very well.

This morning I'm going to get my Covid booster. I registered Sunday night online at our local hospital and they called me yesterday to schedule it for today. Easy!

Funny we're talking about Xmas stockings as I was just thinking about that mess. I have a big one for each of our grandsons and it is harder and harder to figure out what to put in them now that they're teenagers. I'm hoping I can get DH onboard with abandoning them. I'm just giving the kids $$ and I'd like to tape it to a candy bar and call it a day! DH is more traditional then me, so he may want to stick with the stockings. The boys could care less....truly. We'll see.
-------

Jaz.....Hope you're feeling much better today after your weekend ordeal. Breathe in that sea air!

Trig....Travel day is here!! How long a trip do you have? Rest and recharge!

Nic....Awesome to get things checked off your to-do list. I can't wait to hear about your paint & sip party in DE. It sounds like a good time.

------

That's it from here. The scale continues to bounce up a pound and then down a pound. My eating is much the same....not off the rails, just eating this and that and not always good choices. I have been consistent with my exercise videos each day, but they are not that hard...which is the point at this age. Exercising too hard, especially at this age, is not a good thing. It causes stress on the body which causes cortisol to be released which packs on belly fat.....what fun! Round and round I go.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Tue, Nov-23-21 at 04:48.
  #1648   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-21, 07:29

BF:

So I am off guys

leaving in a bit, put laptop in RV soon and away we go.

will try to post from the camper and tell ya how damn cold the beach really is with that beachy wind in my face HAHA

be good and chat up later
  #1649   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-21, 07:43

BF:

Good Morning!

All this Christmas talk! YIKES!!!!!!! - But here we are yet another season down and in the next! The next thing you know we will be in 2022. I am ready for a new year.

Nic- I love your tradition with the stockings. Your kids love them too which is awesome!

Too much fun you are having. Doesn't it feel good to FINALLY be around people?
Glad no issues with that booster! I am sorta not ready for all that! I was SO sick from the Moderna second shot! I can't fathom getting another RNA booster.

Love the paint and sip- do you know anybody yet in DE that is going as well???? Plus you have a bike!!!!! I know you are just loving life!

Trig- You are packing up and hitting the road!!!!!!! I am excited for you! Beach- nothing like it, regardless of the temp! I will be hitting up the beach this afternoon for a nice long walk as well!!!!

Lori- YAY on getting the invite and NOT cooking TG!!!! Everything is back to normal!!!! Very sweet of you to cook for Betty. Are you spending the night for TG?
HAHAHAH on giving your guy a few days before you nag- HAHAHAHAH
-------------------------------------------------------
So....... my son went to hang with my daughter for a few days before he is supposed to come here. However, I spoke to him last night and he is feeling sick and is wheezing and does not feel like he can do the drive.

I did get an invite from my mother and called her and told her I would come. The big pull was my Aunt and uncle and 3 of my cousins and their spouses and kids will all be there. It will be a big group. So my mom and hubby will be on best behavior. - I haven't seen my Aunt and her side of the family since Covid! It has been about 2 years since I have seen them.

So it worked out as much as I will miss seeing my son- he is in a good place to feel better before he drives back to Ohio.

So I will leave here tomorrow and roll in 6 hours later. LONG DRIVE.
I will come back Saturday.

Next week is a put my nose to the grind and get looking and deciding what is next. But that is next week!

Oh Lori- you are going to laugh. My mother is making beef and noodles over mashed potatoes! I am taking a small pre-cooked smoked turkey and a bag of salad for MY meal.

Ok- Off for more coffee!!!!
  #1650   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-21, 06:01

BF:

Good Morning!

Up way too early. Man, I would love to sleep in one morning. Does anybody want a cat?

Today DH & I may go to Verizon and get him a new phone. His needs replaced, and it's better to do it before it completely dies. Much easier to transfer all his stuff, you know? I'll just have to have patience with him as he tries to learn a new phone....Lord help me.

Other than that, I'm not planning on doing much today. I'm going to make some food for Betty and then DH is having Lasagna for dinner. I ate WAY too much yesterday, so I'm eating lightly today.

No side effects from my booster shot other than the sore arm. I'm sure that will ease up as the day goes on.

---------

Trig...Thinking of you gazing out at the waves this morning. Hope it's not too terribly cold.

Jaz.....I don't envy your long drive today. I hope things go well with your family and that you enjoy your visit. Sorry that your son won't be able to visit you this time. No overnight away on Tday for us. DS only lives about 20 minutes away.

Nic.....Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row for the week!

---------

DH & I had a little discussion about Christmas and we are in total agreement. He doesn't care about the stockings and all that candy & junk for the boys. I got a couple small gift bags at the Dollar Store and I'll put their gift cards or $$ in it and put a small amount of candy in too. All good. We also talked about our usual trip to spend Christmas Eve overnight at our DD's. We really don't want to do it. It is nice to spend time with them, but they always invite friends over who stay till midnight and we are tired and miserable and then try to sleep in a strange bed......we would much rather be home in our own bed. Plus, even though it's only a bit over an hour away, we don't want to be that far from Betty overnight. It's just the way it is. DD always comes up on Christmas Day, so we'll see them on the day. All good.

I'm dreading the long winter ahead. I'm already SO tired of being cold.

Later!