Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/163/150
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb 1st workout mishaps

You will soon see that I tend to post a lot. I figure that if I don’t know someone will or if I screw up (like today) that if I tell everyone they might not make the same mistake. So heregoes....
1st I was planning to start in about 2 days but after taking the L-Glutamine my muscle fatigue that I was experiencing had all but disappeared and my muscles were screaming to be abused so I complied. I went threw the book and picked the exercises that I wanted to do. Assigned the weights which is just a guess since most of the exercises are newer ones that I haven’t done in years.
I went to the gym and lined up all my barbells read the exercises and I was off. About half way threw my workout I was starting to wander how anybody could do 12 reps of a weight higher than the one that was 6 reps. So I looked at the charts in the book and saw that the weights don’t continually increase. The last one decreases. So for the rest of the workout I adjusted it and will fix it before my next UBW. But as I sit here and type I am having difficulty keeping my arm up to the key board and my triceps keep trembling so I guess it was still a success.
I would like to know how you all approach assigning weights. I also would like to know about the abs. Do you just do the reps like in the daily workout sheet or what?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there officerjqg, and welcome to the forum

Sounds like you had an interesting first workout. When I first starated with BFL I had a rough idea of what I could lift but found that for the first week I rarely hit my 10s - I was underestimating how strong I was. What I do now when I switch my exercises every 4 weeks is do a practice lift of every new exercise on freeday trying to figure out my maxiumum. I then take 80% of that max one rep and use it for my 6 reps, 75% is for 8, 70% is for 10 and 50% is for 12. For the 12 after my 6 reps at 80% I'll either do the same weight as at 10 or 8, depending on how I feel and what is next. You have to keep in mind that the idea is to reach failure on the second exercise for that muscle group.

With abs, I have been doing the Ab bootcamp - something I got from Muscle Media Magazine - its a 15 minute circuit program that's tough and demanding and I do it after cardio (I do not do abs with my LBWO) I posted a link to ab bootcamp a while back - at the bottom of the thread is the link to the actual article complete with photos.

Congrats on starting, I am sure that you'll be noticing results in no time.
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:35

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default starting weights

Hello officer ...

regardding starting weights, over in the General Exercise forum, I posted a beginner's article that (further down) in the article lists typical starting weights for a variety of lifts.

Give it a look, hope it helps, and good luck with your program. Keep us posted.