Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default 3 months, no weight loss HELP!!

Is it possible that some people can't lose on this WOE? I was on induction for 2 months with a 1lb weight loss. I decided Jan. 1 to add a few more carbs. Maybe I needed more variety. I still have stayed the same. And no inches lost. I measure myself every week. I am at about 24-28 carbs per day. The only thing I added that is not on induction are a few peanuts each day and Flax-o-meal. Here is a sample of what I eat:

1 serving Flax-o-meal lo-carb cereal (12 carbs, 10 are fiber, =2carbs) with 1 T. butter & 2 splenda.
1 decaf with 1 T. cream & 1 splenda
4 oz chicken breast with 2T blue cheese (1 carb for 2T)
2 C lettuce, 1/2 a green onion, 1 oz cheese, 2 T blue cheese dressing
10-15 peanuts
4-6 oz of meat
1-2 oz of cheese for a snack
90 oz water
1 diet rite

I go to the gym 4 days a week. I do 30 minutes weight training & 45 mins cardio.
I am 33 5'3" and 137lbs. 31.5% body fat.

Am I missing something?? I have read the book many times & been reading this forum for 2 months to get ideas about mistakes I may be making. I try to keep my calories at about 1600. Is that too high??? I thought we didn't have to count calories. Oh yea, my ketostix always turn the lightest shade of pink, so I think I am in ketosis & have been for 3 months.

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 13:42
Registered Member

Stats: 202/180/150
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default no weight loss

God bless you for hanging in there! It may be that because you are pretty close to your goal weight your body is fighting to stay where it is. You might try upping your fat, sometimes that seems to get things going. Peanuts might be causing a problem, nuts stall lots of people. Hang in!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Caloric intake

I was just told on another thread to keep my caloric intake to about 10-12x my GOAL WEIGHT (I guess this is the new concensus versus the old one which was 10-12x current weight). Judging from that, you may be taking in too many calories. 12x your goal weight would put you around 1500 cals per day. I wish you luck and keep us posted of your progress!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:28
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You are working out and building muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat. How many inches have you lost???
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Maybe I will cut out the nuts. So, no one thinks it is the Flax-o-meal? I didn't think it was that.

To answer one of your questions, I have lost no inches. I only measure in 2 locations. 1st, my waist which fluctuates btween 28 & 29 inches week to week. Next is my hips (well, the area where my bellybutton is.)that also fluctuates between 38-39inches week to week. I have been this size since I started to measure in October.

Now, one thing that may or may not be worth mentioning...I was breastfeeding up until 3 weeks ago. Someone had told me that my body would hold onto weight until I stopped breastfeeding. But, I had read that you lose more weight while breastfeeding. My milk has just dried up in the past few days. Do you think that will help me or not??

I am ready to start the Xenadrine! I want to lose 15 lbs before having another baby. And also because all my clothes are a smaller size & I am happier at that size.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:16
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

You may not want to hear it but some women do not lose weight as efficiently for up to a year after having a baby. My baby is 5 months now, and I restarted In January and things have gotten moving again.

I too have heard both theories about breastfeeding. Neither seemed true for me, but I wasn't strict low carbing then either.

Just to be on the safe side you could cut the flaxomeal, peanuts, diet rite, splenda and dairy (I know takes a lot of the fun out of it doesn't it?) and be aware it may take some more weeks of adjustment before the scale starts to move again.

Take supplements and drink lots of water (which you seem to be doing a good job of already), definately add in more green veggies. Isn't half an onion quite a few carbs?

I don't know what's in xenadrine, but you could try green tea extract. I have some in my vitamin and it seems to give me more energy.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: Caloric intake

Quote:
Originally posted by Yaseruzo~!
I was just told on another thread to keep my caloric intake to about 10-12x my GOAL WEIGHT (I guess this is the new concensus versus the old one which was 10-12x current weight).

Keep in mind that this is a minimum number of calories, not a maximum. The whole purpose for that recommendation is to make sure that you get enough calories to support your basic metabolic needs. If you go below that, your body starts thinking that you are starving and starts shutting down your metabolism to help you survive. The maximum number of calories above and beyond providing for basal metabolism that a person can consume and still lose weight varies greatly from individual to individual.