Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1336   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 07:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

thud.....
Quote:
Feeling great so far (started end of March). I've got plenty of body fat to fuel me on non eating days and, fortunately for me, hunger is not an issue on fasting days. I don't know why this is - lucky I guess.

In my experience, when body is fat adapted, fasting day is not a hunger day. Just a keep busy and dont meal prep day, as fitting in meals is so normal it is habit.
Sponsored Links
  #1337   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 08:25

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
We all have baggage that affects our relationship with food.

Never before has anyone reduced my experience to "baggage"
  #1338   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 03:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Warwick researchers discover how cells activate autophagy genes during fasting

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...ng-fasting.aspx

Quote:
As modern life-styles and high calorie diets drive the UK's obesity levels up, researchers from the University of Warwick have found how cells respond to fasting and activate the process called autophagy, which means a healthier lifestyle can be promoted to help people maintain a healthy body weight.

The UK has the highest level of obesity in Western Europe, with its levels having more than trebled in the last 30 years, it is estimated that more than half of the population could be obese by 2050 in UK. Obesity is a significant risk factor for increased morbidity and mortality. The cause of the rapid rise in obesity has been blamed on modern lifestyles, including high-calorie diet.

Intermittent fasting, alternate-day fasting, and other forms of periodic caloric restriction are beneficial to maintain a healthy body weight and have gained popularity during the last few years. To respond to fasting, cells use autophagy, a cellular self-recycling process.

A team of researchers led by Professor Ioannis Nezis from the School of Life Sciences, University of Warwick, discovered how cells activate autophagy genes during fasting. In the paper titled 'Regulation of expression of autophagy genes by Atg8a-interacting partners Sequoia, YL-1 and Sir2 in Drosophila', published in the journal Cell Reports on the 26th May, Dr Anne-Claire Jacomin, Dr Stavroula Petridi, PhD student Marisa Di Monaco and Professor Ioannis Nezis have discovered proteins which are required for the transcription of autophagy genes.

The proteins are called Sequoia, YL-1 and Sir2, these proteins interact with the cytoplasmic autophagy-related protein Atg8a. These interactions recruit Atg8a in the nucleus to control the transcription of autophagy genes. This is the first study that uncovers a nuclear role of the cytoplasmic protein Atg8a.

Understanding the molecular mechanisms of activation of autophagy genes during fasting will help us to use interventions to activate the autophagic pathways to maintain a normal body weight and promote healthy well-being."

Professor Ioannis Nezis, Lead author of the research, School of Life Sciences, University of Warwick

#1339   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 07:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Demi. This is good news and the more autophagy is studied, the more humans will be able to leverage the mechanism for improving health. Knowing when autophagy is triggered in the absence of food and being able to use it to one's advantage are beneficial. Further studies will help, and it's encouraging we are now peeling the onion's layers.
  #1340   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-20, 09:28

BF:

I have question about supplements and fasting - do they break a fast? Yes or no?
  #1341   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-20, 09:43

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I have question about supplements and fasting - do they break a fast? Yes or no?

I would say yes, but then I am a very strict faster. If am fasting I have plain water, plain black or green tea, and plain black coffee. Anything else, and I am feeding, not fasting.
  #1342   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-20, 09:58
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Therapeutic fasting (for me) is different from simple IF. I know, I know.
If a person has a disease, as was evident with the first patients Dr. Fung told us about, then I suggest that strict Fung Protocol is called for therapeutically.

When I fast for weight control, I accept the easier fasts Dr. Fung told us about, which included supplements and bone broth.

I think it all boils down to individual needs. Remember, I'm referring to the Fung Protocol from before his first book. I have no idea what he's recommending now.
  #1343   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 03:03

BF:

Ambulo and Glenda, many thanks to you both for providing an answer to my question.

I've come to the conclusion that, as far as I'm concerned, I won't take supplements during a 24 or 36 hour fast where my goal is to activate the autophagy process. A day or two without supplements certainly isn't a deal breaker.
  #1344   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 11:30

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Interesting reading my post #1321 from back in February. It was shortly after making that post that I read “Life in the Fasting Lane” and decided to implement some longer (36-42 hour) fasts. I started on February 19 and since then have lost 40 pounds to reach a weight I haven’t seen since 1986. Although now I’m sort of stalled again rather than the steady downward loss I had the first few months.
  #1345   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 13:12
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I think this is a good time for me to start IF again. 16:8 should work best for me. I tried OMAD and couldn't get enough calories for good health. My first instinct is always to get the best, brightest, newest book, but I really don't need to read another book because, as most of the reviews have said, once you've read one of Dr. Fung's older books, you know the facts.

For me, IF is all between the ears. It certainly is NOT about hunger.
  #1346   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 16:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

For me, IF is all between the ears. It certainly is NOT about hunger.

ME, TOO !!
  #1347   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-20, 08:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Fung's website and program has gone through so many changes, thought I would post the new link, with his new re-write of the most basic intro:

A Calorie is a Calorie, but that’s not the right question
By Jason Fung, M.D.

https://thefastingmethod.com/are_al...use_weight_gain

Marty Kendall writes about a way to determine which fasting protocol is best for an individual. More is not necessarily better. https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...s-a-fuel-gauge/
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473285

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-25-20 at 08:55.
  #1348   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-20, 10:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Since implementing the longer fasts documented in Life in the Fasting Lane I’m now down 52 pounds after being stalled for ten years. I’ve loved Dr. Fung for years but it was this latest book that spoke to my heart.
  #1349   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-20, 10:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

The Marty Kendall url is very very long.
It takes a long time to get to the point of testing blood sugar before meals and upon rising to indicate whether or not to eat.
Its been a long time since I tested my blood sugars so I don't remember the numbers I am supposed to have for a "normal" blood sugar range.
I have book marked it for later perusal with glucometer in hand.
  #1350   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-20, 11:38

BF:

Dr fung.....

Quote:
‘Calories Out’ does not change in response to ‘Calories In’. It’s a well established scientific fact that following most calorie restriction diets result in a lower basal metabolism that requires less caloric expenditure. If you’re burning fewer calories in response to eating fewer calories, then body fat may not be reduced at all

I'm looking to raise BMR. I'm terrified it has been decreased.

https://thefastingmethod.com/how-to...ht-thermometer/

Quote:
This is analogous to reducing calories to lose weight because~it completely ignores the BSW. Suppose our BSW is set at 200 pounds, but we want to weight 170 pounds. Conventional advice tells us to cut 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. Initially weight goes down to 185 pounds, but then our appestat kicks in to make us gain weight. We become more hungry and basal metabolism slows in order to regain the weight. So we try even harder by cutting more calories. But our body responds by further slowing our metabolism. We continually fight against ourselves in an ultimately futile attempt to lose weight. Well, that didn’t work. What is a simpler solution? Turn down the appestat or BSW. How to do that? Read on, my friend.

Quote:
But obesity is~by definition a disease caused by too much insulin – hyperinsulinemia. If you are obese, it’s because insulin prevailed over leptin. As the fat cells stay over-filled, they produce more and more leptin in an attempt to fight insulin. This should help in the Battle Royale. And it does, often for decades. However, the root problem of hyperinsulinemia has not been solved (eating too much sugar, too many refined carbohydrates, eating constantly), so insulin also continues to march higher. And persistent high levels of hormones result in resistance. Eventually, persistent, high levels of leptin cause leptin resistance.~Persistent high levels of insulin cause insulin resistance. But just as true –~persistent high leptin levels cause leptin resistance.

WOww

Quote:
The key to combating obesity, then is to help in the Insulin vs Leptin fight by~lowering insulin. Everything depends upon it. Leptin is already maxed out. The only thing left is to lower insulin. How to do that? Well

Eat less sugar

Eat less refined grains

Moderate protein and high natural fats

Don’t eat all the time (time restricted eating or intermittent fasting). Stop snacking

Eat real unprocessed foods (lower in insulin effects)

Funny. That’s precisely the sort of no-nonsense advice your grandmother would have given.

If I am understanding this, by decreasing or eliminating foods that raise insulin, and leptin has a bigger effect, body weight can decrease.. .....and the body resets it's "normal" set body weight.

Where does BMR fit?

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Sep-25-20 at 11:58.