Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 12:26

Plan: Paleo/LCHF
Stats: 215/165/75 Male 173 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default lipid profile went wrong?

Hello Everybody !

I'm rookie here and I'm aware that I should start with reading sticked threads, but I just received my lipid profile and I must say - I'm shocked and really need someone to clarify my doubts.

First, I haven't had chance to introduce myself so I'll start with it. I'm almost 30, curently on LCHF (sugested by Andreas Eenfeldt) and fairly active apart my work (lift heavy 3 times/week and also have joga clases 2 times/week). Almost 2 years ago I decided to drop some weight. My initial weight was ~100 kg (result of excesive bulking) and now I'm ~75. In less than a year I lost around 25 kg only with Paleo approach and since then my weight have been fluctuating around 75. With time I got more curious, read more, also got really bored with lean meat so I decided to shift to LCHF. Basically, I eat all kind of meats (usually fatty), eggs, veggies (all non-starchy kind), olive oil, butter some omega 3. Apart fatty meat and butter, comparing with Paleo I gave up fruits and nuts. I've been folowing LCHF for 3 months so far. I need to add that I feel great on ketosis, even during my workouts. I don't have any problems with LCHF apart one.
When I was on Paleo, half year ago I did my lipid profile check and results were:

Chol: 158
HDL: 44
LDL: 99
Tri: 78

and here comes surprise - my results from saturday (LCHF) which I picked today:

Chol: 212
HDL: 45
LDL: 154
Tri: 69

What I see is huge increase in Tot. Cholesterol so LDL, no change in HDL, and drop in triglicerydes comparing to Paleo. I didn't expect that my cholesterol and LDL would sky rocked so much. Is there any explenation of that fenomena? I would understand increased LDL during rapid weigth loss but my balance stopped few months ago on 75...
The only thing I'm happy with is Tri/Hdl improvement but I'm really afraid of the rest
Do I need to worry about it? Shall I cut saturated fats by moving back on lean meat, giving up with butter and add more monounsaturated fats?

I have also another question. My girlfriend's father has been suffering from elevated cholesterol, LDL and triglicerydes for few years. He was prescribed statines ofcours but didn't help. Week ago he had checked his lipid profile (unfortunately I don't know details) and his physician become worried so decided to switch him on another medicines (Atorvastatin 40mg) . He asked his physician about low carb, high fat diets as an alternative to statines. He was answered that this aprroach is simply fad and only low fat diet and statines will help him (well known old story).
The question is what should I tell him? 3 days ago I encouraged him to LCHF but I'm not sure it anymore...if his results worsen, which will probably happen he will move back on statines and will also eat high carb!
Before this last check all answers were simple to me but now I'm confused.
Please help .

Best regards,

Last edited by minimalist : Wed, Apr-10-13 at 12:53.
Sponsored Links