Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 09:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I had blood taken to do a full blood panel too. They told me to fast so I did. I'll keep that info in mind when I go for a free T3 and free T4.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 19:56

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Full blood panel fasting would prob include cholesterol levels, which can increase with thyroid issues. You should have also had liver function tests done and testosterone.

Re iodine and hashi's. Selenium is absolutely imperative to take with iodine and this is why people who only supplement with iodine get into trouble when they have hashi's.

Here are some links re iodine and selenium.

http://chriskresser.com/iodine-for-...oline-on-a-fire

http://chriskresser.com/selenium-th...-hypothyroidism

Judy your supplement has both, but not at any great amount. If you are suffering from Hashi's, you need to start dosing selenium at about 200mcg a day+. Some people go a lot higher. It reduces antibodies, lowers estrogens, converts T4 to T3.

As for your thyrogold, you start taking it at a single dose. I don't know if you ordered the 150 or 300.
The best time to take it is last thing at night on an empty stomach. It converts to a higher amount of T3 overnight (it has T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin in it) which is what you need to enter the cells.

Some people take it in the morning but your body naturally makes your T3 in the early hours of the morning, so taking it at night mimics the body's own patterns.

Doing it this way will mean you can eat and drink normally in the morning. Whilst some people say you can eat with thyrogold, ideally you should take it on an empty stomach for best effect.

You start with one tablet. You need to stay on that one dose for a couple of weeks.
If your adrenals are bad, then you will find out at this point. People who say NDT doesn't work for them usually have bad adrenal issues, low iron, etc.

After a couple of weeks feeling better on one dose, you'll find that your symptoms start to come back and this is where you raise your dose.
Split your dose... one at night (the largest part of your dose) and then take one in the afternoon, which stops your afternoon lull and once again mimics the body's own production of T3.
Continue this process... get your bloods tested regularly and see where your levels are at. You may find you take two at night and one during the day... whatever. You raise your dose slowly and carefully until all your symptoms are gone. Then you adjust slightly for seasonal changes... if you need to.

You need to order the saliva test so that you know what your adrenals are doing. If you don't do this, you might run into trouble with NDT.
You also need to know where your iron is... low iron, no conversion = pooling of T3 and rT3 issues.

Any questions try the facebook page I gave you for expert info::

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FTPOThyroid/
  #48   ^
Old Sun, May-18-14, 04:58

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Yeah, I kinda thought you probably went in for lipids too Judy

Taking iodine in a very small amount during which was probably a Hashimoto's attack landed me in the hospital for three days.

If someone suggesting it will pay for my hospital stay, I might try it again. NAW....just kidding....

I had to have a doctor do a block and replace on me for thyroid. It worked. Yay....

OH, wanted to mention...people who don't tolerate T3 well don't JUST have low iron...many just have low ferritin (storage iron)...and many doctors accept ferritin as 'fine' as long as it's 'anywhere in range'. Oh, in the USA that is.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, May-18-14, 19:59

BF:

Low iron, whacked out adrenals, unbalanced sex hormones etc.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 15:24
Attitude is a Choice

So, I got my results back and I have an appointment to see the same thyroid surgeon who removed an enlarged gland from my parathyroid 2 yrs ago. My blood calcium level is very high and that is the indicator for this condition. I've also been way more depressed than my usual levels which was the case last time too.

I hate getting old!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 15:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't tolerate T3 and my iron levels are fine, according to the STTM site. Dunno why it is. My adrenals aren't all that out of whack either.

Yeah, one should probably know if they Hashimoto's or not before supplementing iodine. Or just make it a point to be sure you're eating some higher iodine foods every week (seaweed, shellfish, etc). There's also a test for iodine. I think you collect your pee for 24 hours, or something like that.

I love roasted seaweed, so I eat that. I'm not sure how much good it does me without having a functioning thyroid gland.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 05:07

BF:

Judy, I had all my parathyroids removed when I was only 32...and from age 29 to age 32 no one could explain why my hips hurt so bad, I went from depressed to anxiety, etc. (It's also when I found out I had serotonin syndrome, as doctor tend to throw anti depressants at you first, lol). Anyway, it was parathyroid cancer (that's quite rare I'm told, but hyperparathyroidism is NOT rare). Good that you're getting a grip on that.

I do want to say that I had Hashimoto's at same time, but at that time, I don't think the ENT was aware that hypothyroidism runs concurrent with parathyroid adenoma about 79% of the time. It's quite common to have BOTH. That's why you need Ft's done to see.

And yes, I was fully through menopause at 35 yrs. old...and we did quite the balancing act on me...with sex hormones, calcitriol, and thyroid hormones. I had a really good endocrinologist (not like most of them who pooh pooh thyroid and only do a TSH...I'd been in six different states, starting with NYS and couldn't find a good thyroid doctor).

I'm terribly reactive and allergic to seaweed and shellfish (iodine) and can't have iodine for contrast MRI's either.

Judy...feel free to pm me if you want...especially with FT's but like this: Ft4: 2.7 (2.2-3.5) (all ranges in labs are different, you need the ranges that were actually given on lab report for each test).

Nancy...I had great iron and ferritin levels, and really great adrenal function...I had problems with tolerating T3 because my estrogen/progesterone/testosterone were all a mess.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 07:42
Attitude is a Choice

Thanks Pam. I will PM you. In the mean time, here are my numbers from the lab report:
Reference
T4, Free (direct) 1.28 (0.82-1.77)
Thyroglobulin, Antibody <1.0 (0.0-0.9)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum 2.9 (2.0-4.4)
TSH 2.500 (0.450-4.500)
Thyroxine (T4) 6.9 (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake 28 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index 1.9 (1.2-4.9)

re- parathyroid surgery:
Yes, I was wondering about what they'd recommend being that this would be the second time in 2 yrs that they have to cut me open. The scan will tell what is growing in there. The surgeon has to order the scan before it'll get done. Thanks for sharing your parathyroid story with me.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 09:07

BF:

http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-function.htm

You will read that it is the RAREST of RARE to have parathyroid adenoma happen more than once, and is usually the case of the first surgery having 'missed' an adenoma.

I love the above site for information.

And you have two PM's...one containing a list of thyroid doctors in your area who do T3/ or Armour Thyroid (and believe you me, it's a SHORT SHORT list). There are NO endocrinologist on the list (not a surprise...as the ones in that STate like the good ol' 'worshipping at the altar of TSH').

Hope it helps.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 09:37
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-function.htm

You will read that it is the RAREST of RARE to have parathyroid adenoma happen more than once, and is usually the case of the first surgery having 'missed' an adenoma.

I love the above site for information.

And you have two PM's...one containing a list of thyroid doctors in your area who do T3/ or Armour Thyroid (and believe you me, it's a SHORT SHORT list). There are NO endocrinologist on the list (not a surprise...as the ones in that STate like the good ol' 'worshipping at the altar of TSH').

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that in bold. We'll see for sure when I can get that scan.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 17:12

BF:

Judy your Free T3 should be at the upper end of that scale. It's very low.
By the looks of it, you don't have Hashi's because there's no antibodies. TSH is raised.. .not surprised.

You should post those on the FB page I gave you for some expert opinions.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 17:31
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel33
Judy your Free T3 should be at the upper end of that scale. It's very low.
By the looks of it, you don't have Hashi's because there's no antibodies. TSH is raised.. .not surprised.

You should post those on the FB page I gave you for some expert opinions.

Thank you, Annabel.. Neanderpam is coaching me through this mess.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, May-24-14, 00:33

BF:

Always pays to get opinions. Good luck with it.