Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 07:00
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Recipe of the Month Club Rules

Recipe of the Month - How the Club Works

As you can see, we've changed the Recipe of the Week to Recipe of the Month (RoM).

We want this to be fun, so aiming for one recipe a week might end up being too much work for most folks. As things get under way, this could change if there is enough participation.

Each month, the RoM committee (Scott Hysmith & myself) will come up with a recipe theme. The theme will be chosen from the following list:

BBQ/Picnic
Beef
Casseroles
Chicken
Desserts
Ethnic Foods
Holiday/Seasonal Meals
One Pot Meals
Pork
Quick 'n Easy recipes
Salads/Warm salads
Seafood
Soups/Hearty Soups
Vegetable/Unusual Vegetables/Harvest

On the first day of each month, the theme will be announced. Members can submit qualifying recipes to the RoM forum. To ensure that the recipes are user friendly, we ask that the carb count be included. Fat, protein and calorie counts are optional. Recipes do not have to be original creations, but we can run into trouble by publishing recipes under copyright. But, there is no problem with saying that the recipe was inspired by a certain recipe.

On the 10th day of the month, all recipe submissions will be posted in a poll format and the membership can vote for the RoM. The poll will close on the 15th day of the month. This should allow plenty of time to prepare and comment on the RoM. All submitted recipes will then be moved to their corresponding place of honor in the Recipe Forum.

Comments on the RoM will be done much the same way they are currently done, by replying to the RoM thread. Make sure you rate the recipe. This can be done by scrolling down to the bottom of the screen, and selecting a rating in the "Rate this Thread" drop down menu. Remember, you can critique recipes anytime. There is no cut-off date.

This is still a work in progress, so I'm sure things will change. We will try to eliminate clutter on the RoM thread as much as possible. Comments or ideas can be posted by replying to the appropriate sticky.

Dates to remember:

1st - Theme will be announced
up to the 10th day - Recipe submissions
up to the 15th day - RoM Poll

Let's have fun,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Jun-01-03 at 10:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:35

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm not clear on something.. are you supposed to vote based on how a recipe looks? Or after you've tried it?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:38

BF:

Ok, I'm not clear on one thing. If all recipes will be posted in the poll on the 10th of the month and then the poll closes on the 15th, doesn't that mean you have only 5 days to try them all before you vote? I'd be lucky to try ONE in 5 days, myself. Perhaps I've misunderstood something?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:03
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Jean:

I think you are confusing "rating" the recipe with the poll.

We only test one recipe/month, so people submit (post) their recipes to the forum up to the 10th of the month. Then I will create a poll on the 10th of the month which will list all the recipes that have been submitted. Then you folks all vote on which recipe you'd like to try. The poll closes on the 15th of the month. The most popular vote becomes the Recipe of the Month. So you have 5 days to vote on the Recipe of the Month.

Then you have from the 15th to the end of the month to make the recipe. Really, you can make the recipes whenever you want and comment on them whenever you want, but as part of the CLUB, comments (and recipe ratings) are posted from the 15th to the end of the month.

Is that more clear?

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Jun-02-03 at 13:06.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 17:43

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

So, what's June's theme?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 18:20
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi acohn:

There's a sticky at the top of the RoM forum for June's theme. It's a BBQ/Picnic theme. Should be great.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 18:36
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Jean:

Good question. You don't rate the recipe until AFTER you've made it. I'm not sure how it got rated. Maybe somebody tried it already.

The committee never discussed this, but ideally the rating should be left until AFTER the RoM has been voted for (15th of the month). It might be seen as influencing the members to vote for a certain recipe.

Does that make sense?

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 18:42

BF:

Thanks, Wanda.. yes, that is more clear
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:13

Default Other people's recipes

Quote:
Recipes do not have to be original creations, but we can run into trouble by publishing recipes under copyright.

So, does that mean that recipes downloaded from recipesource.com are OK, but copying a recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions (even with acknowledgement) is not OK?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:44

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

There's still some discussion about that. It comes down to whether what we're doing here counts as republishing from a copyrighted source. At the highest level we want to make this experience as fun as possible, without getting the forum moderators in any sort of liability trouble.

There are published authors on the board, at least one that I know of for sure, and there may be some clarification of the issue. For my own opinion, I believe that since this is a non-profit-making forum, which could be called private since we have to go through a sign-up process, it falls under the same general philosophy that showing a store-bought video to a large group of friends would; a private showing not for pay. However the legitimate copyright holder might have a different slant on it.

For now, until we get it all straightened out, I think if you get a nifty recipe from a source in print, and don't have public redistribution permission from the author, it's safest to assume that you shouldn't post it. That's a good general rule of thumb across the whole forum, not just in the RoM section.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:37

Quote:
it falls under the same general philosophy that showing a store-bought video to a large group of friends would; a private showing not for pay.

Except that this group of friends is quite large: everybody with an internet connection. That, I think puts any re-distribution of copyrighted information into legally risky territory.

I will be cautious, and get permissions from various authors before posting their works here.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Other people's recipes

Quote:
Originally posted by acohn
So, does that mean that recipes downloaded from recipesource.com are OK, but copying a recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions (even with acknowledgement) is not OK?

To rephrase what Karen said elsewhere, copied recipes are not o.k., unless you have the author's permission.

Modified (recipes inspired by others recipes) are o.k..

Wa'il
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:04
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Wa'il:

Just to clarify. So if I were to make a recipe from a book and modifed it in any way, it could be considered "inspired from"? So I would note that this recipe being submitted is inspired from, say, Dr. Atkin's Quick & Easy Cookbook?

Are we in violation of internet copyright laws if we, say, copy the recipe into the forum with an attached link to the site? Or is that something I'd have to ask the site owner? I'm thinking maybe I could e-mail a few LC sites asking for permission for us to use their recipes.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 18:09.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 01:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

If you started using a recipe and tweaked and tweaked it until it became an entirely different recipe, then it's nice to give credit to the inspiration but it's not necessary.

Most internet recipe sites and all published cookbooks are under copyright by the author. It's just not right as well as being illegal to reprint them without permission.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 06:32

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

Thank you, Karen and Wa'il!

I think that will help for folks seeking clarification.