Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:
Question

I wonder if someone could just clarify something for me. I was looking up tomatoes in the database and I wanted the count for Roma tomatoes because those are my favourite, and I am missing them terribly. The listing showed 'plum' or 'Italian'. Are these the same thing as Roma? Sounds like Italy to me . If so, they are not bad at all, just 2.877 carbs each less .682 for fibre. Quite a bit less than the regular ones, providing that the weight of 62gr. is average. I am hoping, hoping ...

I am with you, Rachel, LOVE onions. They are my favourite veggie. Sob. Green onions will have to do, I guess, but definitely not the same.

BTW, the hash browns sound great, ladies. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 20:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Sue,

Yes, Roma and Italia are two varieties of plum tomatoes -- I just happened to be sitting here poring over my gardening books, dreaming about the summer that just might happen after all .. .. The carb count would be right for a very small tomato. I have two plum tomatoes, which I bought the smallest I could find (I hate leftover tomato once it's been cut) -- anyway, just weighed them on my little scale, and they were close to 75 gm each. Hmmmmm ... guess I wasn't too far off guesstimating them at 4 carbs minus 1 gm fiber.

I still don't understand why folks want to avoid onions (?? says Doreen, who loves 'em). A half a small onion, or about 3 Tbsp chopped is only 2.7 carbs minus 0.8 fiber. A whole small onion, in a recipe for 4 people would net less than one carb, and a lot of flavour. Just my thought, of course ..

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 21:22

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default You gotta be kidding!

Whaddya mean, one small onion for four people???? That's a very small serving for ONE , as far as I'm concerned!!!!

Rachel
who is an onion addict
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 22:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking LOL !!!

True , Rachel, true.

I'm trying to justify to myself ... I usually use a whole small onion for just me (or just shy of 1/2 cup). I figure 4 carbs after fiber.

On the other hand, I have no desire to indulge 11 carbs in 100 ml sugar-free icecream this summer...

For that, I could have a cup of sliced mushrooms and 1/2 cup onions grilled with a steak, and 3/4 cup fresh strawberries.

**sigh** Now I'm hungry. Better go to bed...

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-01, 11:57

Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:
Talking Re: You gotta be kidding!

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
Whaddya mean, one small onion for four people???? That's a very small serving for ONE , as far as I'm concerned!!!!

Rachel
who is an onion addict

I absolutely agree, I am passionate about them. I wonder if there is an Onions Anonymous??

Thanks, Doreen. I am really pleased to learn that. I shall go and look for the teeniest Romas I can find. Yum, yum. I don't like 'em leftover, either. I shall also look for some 'small' onions, and try not to feel tooooo deprived, but it will be very hard.