Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-24, 09:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
And, just this morning, Dr. Boz dropped a video comparing two friends who both needed to lose 80 pounds. One did keto, one did a drug.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OJl2Y0G...mpSWP_RJQDcwKG0

The one who did keto became a size 4. But despite losing a similar amount of weight, the one who used the drug still had clothes issues.

Interesting video. While I don't disagree with what she said, I read down through a bunch of the comments on it - this one caught my attention:

Quote:
What was the beginning weight of each lady, and after each had lost 80 pounds, how much did each weigh? And what was the lean body mass of each before starting each weight loss strategy? Did either perform exercise along with the weight loss strategy and what type of exercise was performed, if any? To me, these variables should be a part of the synopsis for each strategy and participant. Thanks for your post.

I was going to say that the first question about beginning weight didn't need the 2nd part about ending weights, but even if they started out wearing the same size pants, if you've got someone who is 200 lbs and loses 80 lbs, chances are that 120 lbs is probably about as much weight as that person can possibly lose and still be healthy. But if you have someone who is 270 lbs and loses 80 lbs, they're still 190 lbs - so unless that person is a LOT taller than the one who started out at 200 lbs, with a lot heavier bone structure, the one who started at 270 probalby still has a good bit more weight they should lose.

Oh I would also ask whether they started out the same shape (pear shaped, apple shaped, rectangle, inverted triangle) because that can also be a factor in how many pant sizes each one dropped.

I think the other questions are also pertinent - exercise has minimal effect on weight loss unless you're exercising at high intensity for hours every day, but it's still a factor, even if only for muscle maintenance.

I think he should have asked about lean body mass at the end of the weight loss in addition to the beginning lean body mass. We know that those who use semaglutide drugs tend to lose more muscle than fat, but if that person didn't have as much muscle as the keto woman to begin with - that would definitely affect the ending size difference with an 80 lb loss.

She said that both women were in their 40's - but the way a 41 year old body responds can be very different from how a 49 year old body responds to the same thing - especially when it comes to females - since a 41 year old is probalby still in peri-menopause, but the 49 year old could already be through menopause.

I'm not actually complaining - the video would have been quite a bit longer if she'd included all those little details. But still, even if only a few of those factors between the two women were different, losing the exact same amount of weight using the exact same method can still produce very different pant size results (and also affect the loose skin problem, since that tends to only tighten up after you lose ALL the excess fat). If all those factors were exactly the same for both women using the two different weight loss methods - perhaps the pant size difference wouldn't be nearly as striking.

Maybe they did start out at equal weights, equal lean mass, and the same body shape, etc - she didn't say though, so we don't know.