Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 08:49

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Good idea, but my doctor brushed it off, and I don't have money lying around for that when there still isn't enough data to really say.

I tried dropping my D3 intake to "fit the guidelines" last winter and got sick. I upped my dose again and felt better, even beyond the flu-thing. Sooooo; I'm going by symptoms.

One person's guidelines is another person's inadequacy.

I do a lot of self-experimenting too. If you listen to your body, it will often tell you what's right and what's not.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 09:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yet another new video/podcast by Ivor Cummins on Vitamin D...this time with Latitude. https://youtu.be/ZwwTBF14Plc

As I type this during a rainy day, Ivor's video is an extremely balanced way of addressing the role of vitamin D and and identified resistance to contracting viruses. Given the information, I suggest it's far better for people to supplement with D3 than the alternative. Even before getting the recommended 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D test, it's a good idea to supplement, especially if you live in an area where it's difficult to get out in the sun frequently and/or you are older. Coupled with other metabolic health deficiencies, having a low level of vitamin D appears very risky. I'm taking 5,000 IUs when I'm able to get out in the sun and 10,000 when I'm not. Better safe than . . . . . . .

For those concerned with taking too much D, here's an excellent video by Dr. Mahtani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkx06k7AKk
  #183   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 10:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

From what I've read, the known issues are when high doses of D3 are taken without enough K2.

Currently, I'm doing 10,000 units of D3 with standard K2, daily. This seems on the high side of safe. I might be able to leverage a test later this year, considering how many studies there are on D levels and upper respiratory issues.
  #184   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 10:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
standard K2, daily.

What is the standard dose? We're taking 100 mcg.
  #185   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 11:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Taking vitamin D3 with K2 in the morning

Quote:
Personally, I decided to consume every morning 10 000 IU of Vitamin D3 and 200 µg of K2 (all-trans MK7) and believe that it’s likely beneficial for many fellow rationalists who don’t spend a lot of time exposing a lot of skin to the sun to take the same supplements.

µg is the same as mcg
  #186   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 07:38

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I take 4000 a day of D per instructions of my hematologist following my blood work a few years ago. I asked to have my D levels checked a couple of years ago and I was found to be low. My doctor recommended that I take 4,000 units a day and that brought up my levels. I think you have to ask to have it checked as it is not something that is routinely checked. I get my blood checked every 3-4 months for my thyroid level and once a year by a hematologist for a complete work up. He is the one who checked for the vitamin D levels and suggested the amount of supplement to take. Taking the 4000 per day puts me right in the middle of the standard range of 30 - 100 ng/mL I have copd and vitamin D is supposed to have a positive impact on respiratory function and helps to ward off respiratory infections.

Anyway.....I take 4,000 per day and have my levels monitored each year in my blood work.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 08:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

So many interesting comments on this topic by Dr. Paul Mason.
http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-104-dr-paul-mason

Especially near the start, his view that Nitric Oxide rather than Vit D on its own is the benefit from sunlight.

Quote:
We are delighted to be joined today by Dr. Paul Mason. Dr. Mason tells us about his findings regarding metabolic disease as a risk factor for COVID-19. Further, we discuss the concept of herd immunity and how it works on a practical level in a community of people. We discuss the effects of sun exposure as they relate to COVID-19 and to general health. Dr. Mason explains the findings of various studies having to do with the health benefits of saturated fats as well as some studies having to do with the health benefits of fasting.

Contact Info: Dr. Paul Mason:
Twitter: ~DrPaulMason
  #188   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 10:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
As I type this during a rainy day, Ivor's video is an extremely balanced way of addressing the role of vitamin D and and identified resistance to contracting viruses. Given the information, I suggest it's far better for people to supplement with D3 than the alternative. Even before getting the recommended 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D test, it's a good idea to supplement, especially if you live in an area where it's difficult to get out in the sun frequently and/or you are older. Coupled with other metabolic health deficiencies, having a low level of vitamin D appears very risky. I'm taking 5,000 IUs when I'm able to get out in the sun and 10,000 when I'm not. Better safe than . . . . . . .

For those concerned with taking too much D, here's an excellent video by Dr. Mahtani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkx06k7AKk

good points.

When my son was tested I was told he was fine at 28. Thanks to digging into that vitamin for myself and finding Z's thread, I put the whole family on a much higher dosing than recommended.

We are staying at 10,000 units a day given the covid 19 outbreak, and the reasonable assumption it is here to stay.

Im cooking more tgan ever to reduce the starches tgen teens eat. They want a quick, ready to eat meal, so bread, oatmeal, and the like is their go to. Im trying to have lower carb meals available. Mistly meats as they currently are not into veggies. sigh.