Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 12:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%
Default Elliptical-Running-Surviving

Hi all,
I have a question and I hope someone can help me:
I currently do the elliptical for 45 to 60 min at my THR. I want to start running, I have looked at the beg. guide to running in running world. However, what I want to know is that taking into consideration my elliptical excercise will I be able to run for at least half of that time, is much much different? Will I be panting and wanting to die after the first 5 minutes, Will I be able to even survive an attempt at running on a running path??

Cheers,
Judi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 07:50

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

I can tear up on any elliptical machine yet a few minutes of jogging usually has me begging for mercy.

No idea why but that's how it is for me. Of course it could be I just suck at jogging! The only thing that's allowed me to jog better and farther is to just go out and do it. I start off slow and gradually increase the time and distant from week to week.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 235/135/130 Female 63 inches
BF:27
Progress: 95%

Smurf,

I started working out at the gym this past April. I do weight training 2-3 days per week for 30 minutes and then 45-60 minutes on the elliptical machine 4-5 days per week.

About a month ago I decided to take up running. I thought I would only be able to run a quarter of a lap the first time and figured I'd be huffing and puffing the whole way. Well much to my surprise I was able to go a complete mile the first time out with no problems! Even though I thought my legs were in pretty good shape from the weight training and elliptical, after that first time running my poor muscles ached for days!

Now I'm up to two miles per day no problem...

Barb
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:36

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Hi Judi,
I began running back in April. While I am certainly no expert, I would say you are going to notice a huge difference when you begin pounding the pavement vs. gliding on the eliptical. From personal experience, I find the eliptical uses different muscles than running (outside or treadmill), especially if you use the backwards motion. I guess the biggest difference is in the resistence. The eliptical absorbs most of the shock to knees, hips, ankles. The treadmill will absorb some of this. There is a reason running outside is refered to as 'pounding the pavement' . Outside running you also have to factor in wind & the levelness (or lack there of) of the surfaces your are running across.
Again, from personal experience...I started using the eliptical before moving to the treadmill. I was easily doing 3.5 - 4 miles at 100 WATT resistence & probably aabout 6 mph on the eliptical - I sweated & got my heart rate up, but never really felt worked-out (if that makes sense). Now, I run 3 - 3.5 miles on the treadmill 2/3 times a week(5.5 mph) - I feel VERY worked out.
Good luck - I never thought I would fall for running like I have It is very addictive!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 235/135/130 Female 63 inches
BF:27
Progress: 95%

Hey, Beth,

Do you run outdoors as well or just on the treadmill? I normally run outdoors, but with the changing weather and soon-to-be lack of light, I am considering switching to the treadmill during the week. Do you get the same workout from both? I always assumed that since the treadmill is actually moving under your feet, you're not having to work your body as hard. Just curious!

Barb in Seattle