Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 22:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/145 Female 5 foot 4
BF:
Progress:
Default Vitamins (Iron)

I am just full of questions tonight.

I take 2 vitamins a day. (1) a multivatiman AthuZ and (2) a Iron supplement "high potency".

The iron supplement I have talked to my doctor about and he said to continue to take it even though I am starting the Atkins diet because it will not hurt me. (I have a very low iron level)

The question that I have about it is in the book it says not to take iron, I wanted to know if this is because to much iron can harm you or because iron can slow the weight loss?

Thanks,
Erin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 01:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Too much iron can build up in your system and become toxic. the reason Atkins states no iron is most on the diet get plenty from red meats and so on.

I kept track of my nutrients using fitday, and found the only one I was constantly low on was iron. I get most of my protien from chicken and such. So I go ahead and take a vitamin with an iron suppliment. If it concerns you, check your diatary iron values using fitday and see where you fall. Maybe also talk to the nurse in your doctors office about getting regular testing for anemia (the nurse can do it, it doesn't have to be a full doctors appointment). You might find the multivitamin is enough and you don't have to take the iron one regulalry.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:57

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LadyBelle.....Can you tell me how to check my iron on FitDay and what is the target numbers your looking for?....I do eat allot of beef, veal, pork and chicken....I think I am okay.....Thank you...Julie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:59

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Erin,

I would go with what your doc says and ask him/her to recheck you after several months on the supplements and diet. It's not very common for a woman who is still menstruating to have a high level of iron but it can't hurt to watch it. The blood loss each month lowers the level of iron in the blood. That's why men have more trouble with a high level of iron than women and why menopausal women have lower iron requirements. I personally would go with what my doc says about me instead of a book.

Squid
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was surprised to find my iron was low too on this diet. I figured it'd be great since meat is supposed to have lots of iron. However, I tend to eat chicken and pork which aren't big on iron I suppose.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:50
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

In fitday just enter your menus. Then click on the "Reports" section. It will have a choice of "Am I meeting my nutritional requirments?" Click on that and it will show you how much iron you are getting and what percentage of the RDA for a woman your age that is.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:08

BF:

Thank you LadyBelle....I will try that ....Julie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:27

BF:

Its me again LadyBelle.....This is what my report says:

Iron mg 7.06 15 47.09

Does this mean that I have to get 40 more?

Thank you Julie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:23
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

You mean your getting 7mg out of the recoemnded 47? (what are you eating? ) It just means you aren't getting 100% RDA from food alone and the pills probably won't hurt you, just be monitored by the doctor. It would be impossible to hit 100% on everything everyday usually and if you give yourself more numbers to count you can drive yourself nuts. It's just good to watch it for a few days to see if there is something you are consistantly low on, then try to either find a way to get more of that in food, or suppliment it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 14:51

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Cooking in cast iron also suppliments your diet with iron as well. I love my cast, and have never had problems with iron. Just a suggestion as to other ways it can be added.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 16:39

BF:

This is very confusing.....Now that I just added my dinner, my recommended amount just went up too....Now it read likes this...

Iron mg 13.44 15 89.62

Today is not a good day because I had work done at the dentist and the first part of the day my teeth hurt and after my appointment, my month is frozen...I will try to eat more later.....But my recommended amount went up from 47 to 89....

Julie