Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/280/180
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default hydroxicut

I am following the Atkins plan and have been for about 5 weeks. I have lost about 20lbs and have maintained my strength in the gym. I have a friend who is using Hydroxicut and having good weight loss results but is probably taking off too much weight too fast. His strength is suffering.
I would to know if there is anything that I should know about using Hydroxicut in conjunction with Atkins. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default thermogenics

hi,

can i ask if thermogenics like hydroxycut (without the ephedra) can be taken for LONG TERM ??

instd of taking the full dosage, we take half (2 pills) dosage .... for long term instd of for 12 weeks as indicated ?

any advice ?
  #93   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 08:32
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

The thermogenic for lowcarbers is called Lowcarber's Miracle and should be available soon on all the lowcarb retail websites. They have a comparison chart showing why it's better than the others for people lowcarbing, but I believe their website is under construction. You might check with Carbsmart, or one of the other big retail sites to see if they carry it yet.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #94   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 10:31
Pending Member

Plan: atkins (was on sommersize)
Stats: 145/153/120
BF:
Progress: -32%
Default i highly recommend this website

http://www.drumlib.com

i have posted it b4. but i'll post it again. it has lots of useful info on ephedra from a guy who's been using it for several years.
and a price comaprison page.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 10:32
Pending Member

Plan: atkins (was on sommersize)
Stats: 145/153/120
BF:
Progress: -32%
Default i have a link to a website that still sells ephedrine

and its cheappppp and its in the form of ephedrine hcl.....

but i dont want to post the link here because i dont wnat to advertise for the site. please msg me if you want the link
  #96   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 09:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/125/118
BF:
Progress: 59%

You may want to watch out for ripped fuel, diet fuel, etc.. I know because I was an avid user of these products some years ago. I started to sweat profusely from taking them (this was not only embaressing, but very harmful to my health) I also had an erratic heartbeat. The other thing I have learned about these is that they are harmful if not used correctly. They are meant to be used by someone who exercises. If you do not exercise taking a product that speeds up your system and not exerting that energy can have drastic effects on your heart. Try exercise. I have worked out for 7 years now and it is the best thing anyone can do for themselves

HTH

#97   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yes, it's true that thermogenics should be used carefully. I've lost over 100 pounds using them. I worked out most of the time that I've been losing. I like the Lowcarber's Miracle the best out of all the ones I've tried. It doesn't make me feel crazy like Ripped Fuel did, and it KILLS my appetite completely. On the bottle it says "Willpower in a PILL" and they ain't lyin!!! <grin> It helps me get through my workouts, especially here in Texas when it starts to get hot, Julee starts to get lazy. ha ha ha ha Right now it's only available in Texas but soon all the big online retailers should have it....Carbsmart, Netrition, Lowcarb Grocery, etc etc etc. Do be careful with whatever thermogenic you use. They are excellent when used as directed!
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #98   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 09:39

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ...

Thanks for the info Silence, Jennifer, and Flaxie.

It's good to get people's experiences, as well as resources in this thread.

Keep it comin' everyone!
  #99   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 18:27

Plan: Loony plans
Stats: 205/146/145 Male 5'6" - 167cm
BF:28%/ around 10%/7%
Progress: 98%
Default Drumlib

Sorry,
I wanted to post this in the thermogenics thread
I don't know how to move it there!!!

Drumlib.com recommends Norexin, it has less ephedera and less caffeine. Also its caffeine source is from green tea.

I've been reading these threads for a while.

My question is. Suppose one looses a lot of weight and bodyfat with the help of thermogenics;
A day will come where this person stops using them.
What happens to the metabolism then? Is it gonna be like a person who exercises and suddenly stops, and start storing bodyfat?

I ordered this Norexin from Netrition, I have been shedding a lot of fat following the PP. Just want to make sure how our bodies react to these supplement.
Are they like Advil or antibiotics? They help us out, but after a while our bodies get used to them and they will work no more?

Thank You

Last edited by loony33 : Wed, May-15-02 at 18:32.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 13:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Loony, I am sure Dan will better be able to answer this for you, but in the interim I can tell you that most of these supplements are intended to help you for a little while - they should be cycled. Taking a thermogenic to help you lose fat will only work for so long. Once you body adapts you need to change things around, trick it so to speak. The same principle applies to dieting/caloric intake; after a while at X many calories things just don't work like they used to. Cycling your calories and changing the proprotions of P/F/C can help to trick it back into fat loss.

Nat
  #101   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 18:26

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking I was wondering the same thing!

I actually have been opting not to take any thermogenics because I'm only 33 and can't imagine taking something like that for the rest of my life.

I'll wait to hear what Dan has to say about that!
  #102   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 20:11

Default supplements

Thermogenics are just a supplement. They are something that you can use as an added boost to further fat loss.

Ideally, they should be used to break a stall, or as part of a well planned out process to keep activating your body's metabolism.

If you stay on thermogens for too long, your body will adapt. Then, you will have the issue of stimulant/caffeine dependency to deal with.

For some people, the benefits outweigh the risks, so they do it. Some studies show that the longer you stay on thermogens (E/C specifically), the better the results.

As for what happens when you come off of thermogenics, well, I usually get an energy crash that doesn't normalize for about a week or so. Metabolically, I don't seem to add on fat when I come off of thermogens.

However, I make sure that when I come off of thermogens that I am also keeping a tight watch on calories. I sometimes start on a thyroid booster after stopping thermogens, just to ensure against any gain. Thyrolean works well for me, since it has guggulsterone as well as phosphates.

In my own opinion, I don't think anyone should be dependant on any thermogenic product. They should be used short-term as an addition to a sound and strict nutrition and exercise plan. If the nutrition and exercise are missing, I always advise to get everything else togther BEFORE adding thermogens to the mix.

I think they are great, and I do use them myself as part of a comprehensive plan for continued fat loss ...

BUT, also included in that plan are adjustments in diet (manipulation of macronutrients), thyroid supplements, yohimbine use, weekly increases on exercise intensity (weights and cardio), and finally, reduction in calories.

Thermogens are a tool to be used in fat loss, but they are not the only tool in the shed. And they shouldn't be the first thing anyone reaches for. There is no magic pill.
  #103   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 10:43

BF:
Question About thyroids...

Thanks so much for answering that Dan. I really appreciate your presence here, you have no idea!

If I've done the temperature test to check my thyroid, and find it to be slow, what would you recommend as a product to boost that? Is the one that you mention in the previous post designed for men, or can women take it? Is there a difference for men and women? Any suggestions? (Other than seeing my Dr., who I seriously believe is a full-blown QUACK!)

Thanks again!
  #104   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 12:36

Default thyroid

Thyrolean can be used by women ... There are many other similar products. Look for a combination of guggulsterones and phosphates. These both have a positive effect on your thyroid.

There are stronger methods to kick things up too, but you should start there. No need to go taking supplements that contain active thyroid hormone (if such products are even still available) ...
  #105   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 19:23

BF:
Default Hey Dan!

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll be heading to the local health food store tomorrow!!

You rock!