Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 07:00

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 137/135/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 29%

Hi count me in. I'm totally frustrated that I can't seem to shift the belly/upper tummy fat. I'm 29" at belly button, 30 1/2" at about three inches above the belly button, but 32 1/2" about three inches below the belly button. I bought Organika "High Potency" 85% CLA in 1000 mg capsules. It's from safflower oil which is the only kind they had. Did not see any Tonlin or whatever.

I have been off LC a tad the last week or so as my poor old Mum is heading into her last few weeks on earth - Alzheimer's stopping her from eating and drinking, and bad heart, bad BP - so things are a little stressed around here! I'm making my DS a cheesecake (Stella, of course) but I'm sure I'm off plan somewhat - oh that glass of wine or three at the end of the day at the nursing home sure is a comfort!!! HOWEVER, this little experiment is enough to kick me in the pants and tell me I need to ride the stress out with good LC stuff and some CLA!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 07:23
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I will join Annabel, but I am going to see how you lot do first I actually want to see how the gym works out too and secondly I don't have the money for the suppliment right at this moment in time....but I will be keeping an eye on your guys....hope you get really good results because if you do, I might just have to find the money to get some!
Where did you find out about it?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 07:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

#19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 07:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsgal
Hi count me in. I'm totally frustrated that I can't seem to shift the belly/upper tummy fat.

Hi Fallsgal... glad you've joined us. I hope this will help refocus you a little. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I lost both grandmothers to Alzheimers so I know what you're going through.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 09:06

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Diabetic's and CLA

I think it's great to have such a following but as I am a diabetic and ran into problems using CLA I would advise any Diabetic's taking part to keep a close eye on their sugar while giving CLA a try. I won't go into my negative results and CLA might not effect you as it did me but it is a best to keep watch.

Good Luck to all and hope you get wonderful results!

Nikki
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 12:52
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I measured my waist and the widest part of my lower abdomen, as Annabel33 has done.

Waist 36"
Fattest part of abdomen (below waist): 46" (!!!!! yikes!)
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 12:57
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
I think it's great to have such a following but as I am a diabetic and ran into problems using CLA I would advise any Diabetic's taking part to keep a close eye on their sugar while giving CLA a try. I won't go into my negative results and CLA might not effect you as it did me but it is a best to keep watch.

Good Luck to all and hope you get wonderful results!

Nikki

Thank you for pointing this out...I read something about that as I googled CLA last night.

My question is - if you're not diabetic, nor pre-diabetic - do you think this supplement would do any harm? The reason I ask is because on my last physical, my blood sugar was 98 after fasting for 12 hours - the doc thought this was a little on the high side. I'm not well-versed in what 'good numbers' should be, and the doctor didn't really say I was pre-diabetic or anything, but just reported back that number to me as being a little on 'the high side'.

Sorry to hijack the thread - Nikki doesn't have a journal, so there wasn't really a way for me to ask the question that way.

The other thing I came across in researching CLA is that it can sometimes mess with cholesterol too, but that's only if someone stays on it for months and months (like a year or more), and it doesn't happen to everyone.

I'm going to try it for a month and keep measuring my waist and the fattest part of my abdomen because I've seen a lot of studies showing that CLA does reduce body fat, particularly around the abdomen, and I'm interested in seeing if it'll help me.

Sara
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 16:53

BF:

From what I have read, it seems to be safe for non diabetic people. I've been reading testemonials from people who've been on it for years, but my view is that it's useful in short term bursts rather than continuous use.
For some people the effect can wear off anyway, but I can't find anything online which suggests the amount of time on it.

Citrus, I have 'interesting' numbers too, similar actually to yours, but am told that I am not insulin resistant. I think if we're trying something new, we all just have to keep an eye on what's happening to us.

Day three for me today. Still no unpleasant side effects.

Um, I appear to have shrunk about half an inch on my waist though....

That's interesting!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 20:23
I've decided

Quote:
Um, I appear to have shrunk about half an inch on my waist though..

Woo hoo! In just three days? That's great

I managed to remember to take two of my 1000mg tonalin CLA capsules. Only had two actual meals today and took a CLA after each one. Maybe I'll take another before bed. The bottle I bought suggests 2 caps 2x a day, but I was kinda hoping I could take less than that so as to make the bottle last a bit longer.

I wonder if it'll make much difference if I take 2, 3 or the 4 caps per day as suggested on the bottle?

I'll do the best I can and keep an eye on my measurements.

Know what I like about this CLA experiment? The idea that we're all just taking it, watching measurements and sticking with our own LC WOE. If this stuff works, it shouldn't matter which plan we're on...right?

Sara
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 20:33

BF:

Given that CLa inhibits lipoprotein lipase, (the enzyme that breaks fat down in the body ) in all of us, and prevents the amount of fat stored in the body, it makes no difference to the plan imo, but lets see what people experience. It will be interesting to see.

I'm taking the stuff as suggested so getting 3000 a day. That's 6 caps for me. I would take as suggested, or if you want, take less and lets see if your results match others.

You can be the control group
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 20:49
I've decided

Very funny Annabel - I wanna lose weight just as much as the next person

I'll take what it says to take on the bottle - which is 2 caps twice a day...that'll have me at 4,000mg.

YOU can be the control group....

Just kidding!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 22:39

BF:

Doh!

Well, I'll stick to the 3000, and you take the 4000. The US has different guidelines for such things than Europe and Australia where I am now... I'm happy to take the 3000 and see where it gets me.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 00:19
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Is this suppliment meant to take your weight down as well as inches? I find it interesting all this, but as you have no idea what you weigh Annabel, has anyone else weighed in before starting taking this suppliment to see if there is a reduction in weight as well as fat around the middle?
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 00:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Since it builds lean muscle as it helps eliminate fat, there is a chance it wouldn't change your weight significantly. Not sure yet, though. I figure if this can help get rid of the dangerous abdominal fat, that is enough to make me happy.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 01:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
Is this suppliment meant to take your weight down as well as inches? I find it interesting all this, but as you have no idea what you weigh Annabel, has anyone else weighed in before starting taking this suppliment to see if there is a reduction in weight as well as fat around the middle?

I guess if it removes enough abdominal fat, then it might have some impact on your weight, but probably only by a pound or two. Even if I did know what I weigh, I don't know if I caught myself on a high weight day (weight fluctuates, as you know.. ) or a low weight day. I aso wouldn't know if it's because of low carbing or because of the CLA. I'm just hoping for a difference in the abdo fat, because that is what it claims to do.

Say, I wonder if it will shift thigh fat too....

So far, half an inch, maybe a little more. I'm being conservative.