Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Are any of you lifting weights?

I just started lifting weights, I am not sore yet should i be? I wanted to hear from other big gals or guys out there also lifting.
I have lifted 2 nights this week and the first day i did Pilates.
Which brings me to another ?
Do you find it hard to do the Pilate? I have a hard time doing the floor ones because my gut gets in the way. (bending forward and the such)
Anyone else?? Any suggestions aroung this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:16
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've been thinking about lifting weights because I would like to firm up my muscles. However, I am scared of slowing down my weight loss. Right now, getting the pounds off is my biggest priority. Let me know what your experience with the weights is -- does it slow you down? I'd be curious to find out. My inclination is to wait until I get closer to 200 pounds before trying weights.

I do a lot of moderate aerobic exercise -- brisk walking and lap swimming. (Or at least I do when I am not sick -- this has been a bad week for exercise.)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:21

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%

Well i have only been doing it for 3 days so far. I cant do the walking and aerobics because i have a torn ACL. I will walk in the summer when there is no ice or snow to slip on.
Why would lifting weights slow your weight loss?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:30
Lowcarb since 7/2002

When I was thinking about doing it I read a lot of posts in the exercise forum and elsewhere from people who said there weight loss slowed when they started lifting. I'm not sure why that happens, but it does seem to happen a lot. Can anyone else help out here?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:58

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

My losses are slow enough already and every time I've exercised, even slower. I know it's better for me, but I haven't really gotten past being a numbers freak, so for now I have exercise on hold. If the losses stop..I'll start.

I'm pretty active though, no couch potato here. I've been doing childcare for 19 years and believe me.. there's no sitting in babysitting!!!! (though I HATE that term)

All that being said, I think you will have to do what seems right for you. I can't deny I feel great when I lift or walk and many people melt away with exercise. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Deb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:23
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Liz,

I'm far from an expert, but I think the two main reasons why people's weight loss appears to slow when they start lifting weights are that

A) they're replacing fat with muscle, which weighs more, and

B) the lifting itself causes tiny "tears" in the existing muscle, which then holds a bit of extra water while it heals itself. If I understand what I've read correctly, this "tearing" process also stimulates muscle growth, so within reason it's a natural and good thing. This is why beginners should have some supervision, and why you should never work the same muscles two days in a row.

According to the Eades (PP), weight lifting and other muscle-building excercises are the best thing you can do for your weight program because it's muscle that burns fat, so having more of it can only help you. It also helps your body to release growth hormone, which also aids in the burning of calories. Here's their summary:

Quote:
Although aerobic or endurance exercise is great for improving cardiovascular fitness, the best exercise to encourage release of growth hormone is the resistance kind . . . Weight training builds muscle (every pound of which burns calories and keeps you thin), strengthens joints, and increases bone strength. And done properly, it helps reduce elevated insulin levels and promote the release of growth hormone -- both essential to your physical and metabolic rehabilitation.

I hope I haven't made a complete ass of myself telling you what you already know!

--Ruth

Last edited by RGale : Thu, Feb-13-03 at 16:24.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:29
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Ruth,

The is about what I remember reading. Thanks for stating it so clearly -- I couldn't do that.

At this stage, I am not willing to risk even the temporary weight gain. I know that is silly, because I know there are long-term benefits from resistance training and ultimately it may speed up my weight loss, but I know myself well and I think it is the best strategy for me. When I get down to about 225 I will add in the resistance training (or I'll do it sooner if I stall before then). Since I am doing a lot of walking, and that is weight-bearing exercise, I think I am building up some muscle anyway, although clearly not as much as I would weight training.

I hope I haven't made a complete ass of myself by saying I am so concerned about the number on the scale! When you weigh as much as I do, you really want to see that number go down.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 26%

hi there

I lift weights and have off and on for many years... I find it much more enjoyable than doing cardio which I find a chore...

one of the basic rules of lifting is if you can lift the weight easily for 15 reps with proper form it's not heavy enough... but if you're new to it then working on form first is more important... if you lift correctly you'll get best results and you won't hurt yourself...

it doesn't necessarily have to hurt per se but a good workout should be felt... for me lifting speeds my losses... and I've found if I do it I don't I stall...

I have a bowflex machine at home... it's quite wonderful and has a very smooth action... I can do all the exercises I'd do at a gym without having to actually go to a gym...

mind you I don't pay much attention to the scale... I only visit it once a week or so... if I remember...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 18:29
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Liz,

I understand, really I do. The number on that d$#&*d scale can make the difference between a marvelous day and a wretched one for all of us, and especially for those of us who have so far to go. I personally have so far to go that I can't even think about it -- it's too depressing and overwhelming, and I start thinking I'm never going to make it and what's the use anyway -- you know the drill. (And I, of course, know that it is worth it and I will make it. It just sometimes doesn't quite feel that way.)

I've read your journal, and I very much admire your "exercise ethic." I wish I could do what you do, but right now - at my weight and with congestive heart failure -- walking is a tremendous challenge. I need to stop and sit down very frequently, and it's difficult to do that on the street! So I've been working with the weight machines at the gym (which for the most part I can use sitting down), and walking around the basketball court, which has benches. It's hideously embarassing to be in this kind of shape, but so far everyone has been tremendously kind and encouraging, and I'm hoping that over time I can build some strength, and get to where I can walk again like a normal person.

PWW -

I have a question for you. One of the machines they have me using is supposed to exercise the hamstring. You stand on a little platform and pull the weight with the opposite foot, and I find that balancing on my right leg is wretchedly painful to my right knee. Leaves it sore (even to the touch) and makes walking around or getting out of chairs difficult for the rest of the day, but the pain has generally subsided by the following day. Should I just keep gritting my teeth and dealing with this, or could I be doing something wrong? I haven't said anything about it to the trainer because I figure I'm enough of a drag to work with without complaining. (Strangely, I don't have this problem with the other knee.) I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

--Ruth

Last edited by RGale : Thu, Feb-13-03 at 18:30.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:02
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Hi Ruth,

What you are doing is admirable. When I started in July, I could barely huff and puff my way to the corner. For me, one of the greatest benefits of shedding this weight has been my ability to once again walk easily. I like to swim, so at least that gave me an exercise I could do at my heaviest weight.

I know you will get to the point soon where you can walk easilye too; I can tell you have the determination necessary to get there.

I very seldom think about how far I have to go -- the whole idea is too frightening. I think we just need to focus on each small step and celebrate all our intermediate achievements.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:09
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi!

I JUST started using weights with my walking tape...makes it more difficult, but hey...I guess thats the point. Unfortunately I got sick and had to stop for a week. Starting up again tomorrow. After day 1 I wasnt sore though, and I really thought I would be. Lets see how I feel next week this time!

~Michelle

PS...Liz - I am terrified of the numbers staying the same or going up because of the weights too. If they do, I am not guaranteeing I will continue...

Last edited by SummerYet : Thu, Feb-13-03 at 19:10.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:11
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

Lifting weights? Do my rear and thighs count?

I've been doing Pilates mat series since January 26. Some of the exercises do work differently when you have a big gut. I found that some of the beginner exercises were easier than the beginner modified because positions that ease the strain on the abs also ball up the excess fat and make the exercise awkward.

"Roll like a ball" is a hoot. I don't make a very compact ball yet! Jeez - I sure took all this for granted in grade school when I could do egg rolls and the bicycle and think nothing of it.

The nice thing about Pilates is you easily see each little bit of progress. I went from the lamest roll ups (roll ups are similar to sit ups in many ways) to being able to do them with really nice form and control. My husband says he can see lots of improvements in my exercise form, and my posture and ab/back strength improvement is noticeable in all my daily activities.

I have a body fat scale, and calculate 7 day average lean body masses - and they are increasing since I started doing Pilates. My target goal weight, based on 22% body fat and preserving current lean mass, has been increasing since the lean (muscle) mass is going up.

Lynda
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:56
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Ruth,

You don't have a journal so I am posting to you here. I was thinking about your question about your knee. You should probably take it to the Exercise Forum and see if you can get Trainer Dan to answer it. He's very experienced with working with us overweight, out-of-shape folks, and can probably tell you if what you are doing is a good idea or harmful.

My personal belief is that at our weight we have to be very careful about injuring ourselves. I pushed myself a little too much on a hike last August when I was up around 350 pounds. I was on vacation with my family and decided that if they were going to hike I was going to do it with them -- a dumb decision, I should have stuck to swimming in the lake. I pulled my Achilles tendon and was limping and in pain for almost a month. When you have over 100 pounds to lose, I think it is very easy to injure yourself.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:09

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Thumbs up Lifting is AWESOME!

If you look back through the posts, I posted a while ago that I love lifting. It makes me feel very strong...gets a good endorphin rush going. I feel like Superwoman afterwards!

My two cents on the slowing the loss situation is...

I did Jazzercise, which is cardio/aerobics, the first month I did Atkins. I was faithful, 3 nights a week, 1 hour each time. Some Saturday mornings. I lost 12.5 lbs the first two weeks, then 3.0, then .5! I was soo frustrated with that last week.

The next week I started lifting, and lost 3.5 lbs! Tomorrow is my second weigh in on lifting, but so far this week, I am down 3 lbs. Not too shabby!

I realize I may be the minority and not the majority, but it sure isn't slowing me down! This is great. Not to mention, I enjoy it so much more than any type of cardio. I am still walking/riding a stationary bike, but knowing I get to lift keeps me going through those long minutes.

My final advice is to do what feels good to you, but please don't be scared of lifting. It really is sooooo good for your body, and you won't know how your body is going to react unless you try it!

By the way, I lift at an all-women's gym, which is a wonderful environment. The skinny women motivate me, the heavier women make me feel comfortable, and most of the women are very open, helpful, and kind. If anyone has any questions, be sure to let me know. I am by no means an expert, but I would be glad to share more of my experiences with you!

Amy
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 22:11

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Mmmmmmm, Amy!

After my previous declaration that I want nothing to do with exercise for a while, you have me thinking, not committed, but thinking!

My exercise was always primarily treadmill with inclines and increasing speeds. I have a total gym and love it, but never really focused on it. May my strategy was backwards. I'm thinking I may move that total gym out of the corner and dust it off.

You're seeing some wonderful results. Congratulations.

Darn... just when I had dug in my heels, along you come with a shovel!

That's what we come here for..new ideas.

Thanks,
Deb