Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Protein diets don't stop for beef scare"

Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Protein diets don't stop for beef scare

CHRISTIAN HILL THE OLYMPIAN

link to article

Followers of high-protein diets have many protein sources to choose from if they have concerns about beef, South Sound health-food retailers say.

So far, the nation's first case of mad cow disease hasn't prompted a flurry of concern from adherents who eat beef as the staple of diets such as Atkins, they say. But some are getting questions as to the source of their beef.

It's still too early to say whether those worries will dissuade residents from going on one of the diets to lose weight as a kick-off to 2004.

Employees at Amy's Low-Carb Express, J-Vee Health Foods in Olympia and the GNC Store in Tumwater talked about the effects of the mad cow news Monday.

"I think people are going to make the choice for themselves," said Amy Earley, co-owner of Amy's Low-Carb Express, which opened a month ago next to the downtown Safeway store to cater to the followers of such diets.

Her store is stocked with all manner of low-carb foods, including spaghetti, pancake mix and ketchup. Near her front door is a table filled with Atkins diet foods.

The diet, spelled out in numerous hot-selling books, calls for strict adherence to a low-carb, high-protein diet to shed pounds.

Protein alternatives

The fact that dieters can receive their protein from a variety of sources likely will insulate Atkins from jitters arising from mad cow disease, Earley said.

Beef-eaters still will swear by their steaks, she said, but "those who can take it or leave it will have tuna or chicken or ham instead."

The company behind the diet, Atkins International Inc., echoed that message in a statement posted on its Web site.

"Many of our followers have been succeeding on Atkins as a weight-control program and a lifestyle for many years without the inclusion of beef in their diets," it read.

The recall of meat products linked to the afflicted cow has widened to eight states and one U.S. territory.

A risk expert in San Diego said the probability of contracting the human variant of the disease -- variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease -- is "infinitesimal" as officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture have repeatedly assured that the nation's beef supply is safe.

Anna Thirkield, a J-Vee employee, said she hasn't heard any concerns from high-protein dieters.

One customer did request that the store sell organic beef, Thirkield said.

"She said she couldn't give up beef, but she wanted it to be organic from now on," she said.

Shopping at Amy's, Kay Huebner of Olympia said she uses ground turkey as the protein source for her Atkins diet.

Even if she was a beef-eater, Huebner said, mad cow disease won't scare her away from the diet.

The weight-loss benefit is far greater when compared to the miniscule chance of contracting the disease.

"I'm not going back," said Huebner, who has lost 50 pounds on protein-rich diets. "No way."

Two Olympia nutritionists, Randy Mentzer and Sheila Smith, said none of their clients have aired any concerns. Both, however, said they generally frown on low-carb diets because they underplay the nutritional benefits of complex carbohydrates found in fruits, vegetables and grains.

Christian Hill covers the city of Lacey and the military for The Olympian. He can be reached at 360-754-5427 or at chhill~olympia.gannett.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 18:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm having steak for New Years Eve on my new grill & roast beef on New Years Day.

I think the risk is negligible. I just hope this is the last case that they find and that the do trace the source to put everyone’s fears to rest and let the farmers get their lives back.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 00:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%

Here is an article I found on Foxnews.com

Foxnews.com link to story

Its was written on December 24th but I wanted to post it because it kind of pissed me off a bit.

"This catastrophe might open some eyes to the many problems with meat-heavy diets," said Amy Joy Lanou, nutrition director for Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (search), a consumer health group. The group is offering a "vegetarian starter kit" for suddenly fearful carnivores.

A vegetarian starter kit? How hard is it to become a vegetarian anyway? And I would like to know what the problems with meat-heavy diets there have been? The only people I have ever known or heard of that have had serious problems on Atkins or any other "meat-heavy" diet was doing it wrong anyway... of course your colostral is going to suck if you consider your low carb diet as only eating one piece of bread on you sandwich at lunch and only have half the bag of chips washed down by your damn DIET coke!!!!!

Oh sorry... I vented a bit.

There was a glimmer of hope at the end of this article...

Wendy's is going to have a low carb menu!!!!!

I for one think this is a great oppertunity to stock my freezer... prices are dropping!!!!!

Sarah
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 06:15
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

PCRM what do you expect lol.