Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many times, counting this one, have you been on an LC diet?
never have and am not now 0 0%
1 21 15.00%
2 25 17.86%
3 33 23.57%
4 or more 61 43.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 13:06

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
For me, this is my second try, though the first one was a 3-week aborted attempt about 10 years ago.

Me too! Aborted because people scared me out of it with all their misinformation back then.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 13:31

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Try #8 for my wife and I - although I will add that everytime we "quit" the diet we walk away with more information than we did going in. We usually quit due to a specific previously unforceen roadblock .. we come up with a way to overcome that roadblock then try the diet out again.

Keep moving forward ...

Atkins Attempt #1 - Failure due to Cravings
Atkins Attempt #2 - Failure due to lack of water
Atkins Attempt #3 - Failure due to food boredom
Atkins Attempt #4 - Failure due to Vitamin C deficiency
Atkins Attempt #5 - Failure due to Constipation
Atkins Attempt #6 - Failure due to Sore Muscles
Atkins Attempt #7 - Failure due to lack of Money
Atkins Attempt #8 - So far so good.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 13:33

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Me too! Aborted because people scared me out of it with all their misinformation back then.

In my case, I was feeling a little dull, unable to have a mental edge.

I now think that was because I was trying for too little fat along with low carb, a major beginner's mistake. One of the ones I see a lot of beginners here still making...

I also was getting some hidden carbs I was unaware of back then from prepared foods.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 22:11

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
...I was trying for too little fat along with low carb...

This was a mistake I repeated, and even now sometimes catch myself:
  • maybe I'll lose faster if I eat more protein, but keep the fat the same
  • how about a bigger salad with less dressing
My dinner tonight was awesome (pork chops in creamy mustard leek sauce), but the lowest in fat in a long while, in spite of making a 1/2 recipe but keeping the fat at the amount for the full recipe. I'll learn someday...
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/OMAD
Stats: 173/149.1/145 Female 5'8"
BF:22.66
Progress: 85%
Default Fourth try

This is my fourth try in what seems to be a continuing battle. I have lost successfully, but fell off the wagon while going through a divorce and moving to a new state. Kept planning on restarting low carb and finally did when my doctor said my triglycerides were 604! I know that as a Type II diabetic I need to control my triglycerides and that low carb is the best way (for me) to do that.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 11:01

Plan: Low Carb(Atkins)
Stats: 350/288/220 Male 70"
BF:yes !
Progress: 48%

This is my second serious attempt. I did a coupe half hearted attemps the last couple of years.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 18:08
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I gave up long ago "restarting" because LC'ing is such an ongoing process for me. Instead I focus on getting back to eating healthy again. Right now I put on 6lbs since Halloween and am struggling with the grain/sugar binging. I renew my faith each day to eat healthy but screw up whenever the dang holiday cookies are staring me in the face. We're still trying to deal with the fact that sweet treats given as gifts by family do not HAVE to be eaten, but it's so very hard to just toss them in the trash when we know very well the amount of time that went into making them.

I pray eventually we will overcome this! LOL
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 329.8/229.6/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

My first attempt was while I was a resident in a nursing home. Since I didn't have much choice in the food I was given there, my diet was a modified version of Atkins - salad and a protein for lunch and dinner every day. I lost 137lbs by the time I was discharged. I maintained for about a year and a half and began gaining again so I started Atkins correctly last year and have been doing it ever since. Altogether, I've lost 181lbs so far.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Restart 1-1-2012
Stats: 184/172/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

since 1999. Probably on and off 30 times. I am a low carb abuser. Carbs are addictive to me...like meth or coke or nicotine. This is what I have learned in 12 years! BUT...IT ALWAYS WORKS...and I always feel so much better :0)
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 11:14

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffin
Altogether, I've lost 181lbs so far.

Congratulations. That's an inspirational achievement.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 285/265/230 Male 6feet 1inch
BF:
Progress: 36%

This is my 2 time. My first time was about 5 years ago and man it was awesome. It is easy to fall off routine and gain all your wait back. It does seem to be harder this time but I am slowly getting control of what I eat. I am about 15 days into it and starting to turn the scale back a bit. Have not started my work out yet.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 15:32

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

This is my fourth time around, but I think I have it right this time - previously I ate too much protein and not enough fat. I gave up the first time because I had lost weight and felt better - doh! I thought it would stay off, but it didn't. The second and third times I gave up because weight loss slowed down and I started wanting a bit of bread here and there - that soon spiralled completely out of control, and this time I started out two stones heavier than I was the first time around.
I have the added incentive this time of having been diagnosed pre diabetic last year. This means I cannot allow myself to fail again.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 16:49
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%

Not sure how to answer. Everyone thinks of LC differently. It's not like I failed LC because I felt I needed pizza or something. There are other times I decided I wanted to seat something that wasn't LC but I didn't count it as a failed attempted and needed to start up again.
I did something like May to July..and had to quit out of starvation/unusual circumstances beyond my control... but I don't even count that as a "failed" attempt. Quitting and not trying to fight it was the best choice at the time.

2 years or so ago when I tried "induction"..yeah..maybe lasted 3 days the most and would binge. Then would last a day..and binge. After 2+ months in ketosis I still couldn't do that version and would never attempt it again.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 19:40

Plan: Optimal Ketogenic Living
Stats: 214.8/167.4/170 Female 5ft 6in
BF:restart 4/14-215
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angey
Carbs are addictive to me...like meth or coke or nicotine.

They are for me too
I have been very successful two times in the past. I am really hoping to somehow make is a way of life.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 19:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 188/188/145 Female 68.4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've had over four attempts. Started about 7 or 8 years ago. I did well for two years, got pregnant- went off and gained it all back. Back on Atkins lost it all- got pregnant- went off gained it all back. Back on Atkins lost it almost all and this is where things got tough. I find it easier to loose than to maintain. When I'm skinnish I feel like I can eat more carbs. We're also very social and I know I shouldn't be embarassed to decline food or bring my own along, but I am. Epecially when I look good. So I eat poorly with friends and family when I'm not trying to loose then end up back where I started. It's been at least 8 January's ago that I've been on Atkins, but I've been off by most Decembers. I'm truely hoping that this time it becomes a way of life. I know its either this or be fat. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels........