Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 11:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Why vegan junk food may be even worse for your health

Why vegan junk food may be even worse for your health

I think this belongs in what Basil Fawlty might call the “bleedin’ obvious.”

Quote:
They might sound like a guilt-free alternative or a gateway for the vegan-curious, but vegan fast food alternatives are often worse for your health than the meat equivalent.

“Obviously the pros are that [veganism] is getting people to think about plant-based foods, but the con is that it makes us think that it is good for you when it can be equally or more unhealthy,” says Megan Rossi, a dietician at King’s College London and author of Eat Yourself Healthy.

Do tell.

Quote:
The issue is jackfruit is quite nutritionally valueless if it's protein you're wanting. It is mostly made up of carbohydrates and contains almost no protein. As a replacement for meat, it is not the best choice.

Even other plant-based protein sources are of a lesser quality than animal protein sources, says dietician Rachel Clarkson. “Proteins are made up of amino acids which are the building blocks of every cell and hormone in our body. However, most plants do not contain good amounts of all essential amino acids.”

What is the POINT? Calling this "healthy" is an abuse of the word.

Quote:
Another discrepancy between the quality of animal- and plant-based foods is in their iron content. While plenty of plants, like whole grains, legumes and spinach are high in iron, once again, it is not always the best type. Animal sources contain haem iron, whereas plants contain non-haem iron. Non-haem is not as well absorbed by the body. Being iron deficient is a problem, particularly for women whose iron requirement for menstruation is higher.

Quote:
“Having small amounts of cheeses in your diet [can be] good for your body",” says Rossi. “Cheese is fermented by bacteria that produce peptides which are beneficial in our bodies. She says most vegan cheeses are not fermented but “they are calorific but have [degraded] nutrients”.

Quote:
Generally dairy products are also a good source of B12, but plant sources of B12 are less easily taken up by the body. “Some people have a genetic variation that makes them poor absorbers and transporters of B12 from cell to cell,” says Clarkson. “I am quite plant-based. My genetic test showed me that I have an increased risk of B12 deficiency. I thought I was fine because I have low-fat cheese, fortified nut milk. When I took my blood test I was low in B12 and I am a nutrition professional. You might think you are doing the right thing but your blood says something else.”

And how is "vegan fast food" any different from what vegans do ALL THE TIME?

Quote:
Enjoy real mayonnaise taste with our world-famous, egg-free and all natural Vegenaise Dressing and Sandwich Spread! It’s Better than Mayo!

(vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, non-gmo) INGREDIENTS: Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Filtered Water, Brown Rice Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Protein, Sea Salt, Mustard Flour, Lemon Juice Concentrate. Contains: Soy

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, Feb-03-20 at 12:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 12:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yes, this is insane.

Over the years of living with DANDR, my food choices have morphed. AS and lc desserts and bran or whey based bread substitutes helped ease the changeover from SAD, but these last couple years, the push is toward real whole foods. Dumped the commercial seed oils, no bran but young fresh vegetables instead, drop AS months at a time, even reduce dairy signifucantly. And legumes and nuts.....easy to drop the beans, and eat far fewer nuts.....

The complete opposite of those prepackaged " meals".
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 07:17

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Oreos are vegan.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 07:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Oreos are vegan.

The classic "Vegan lunch" is Coke and potato chips, I understand.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 09:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The classic "Vegan lunch" is Coke and potato chips, I understand.

One time a few decades ago, I talked briefly with a salesperson at some furniture store. I don't recall how we'd gotten on the subject, but she mentioned that she was a vegetarian. Only she freely admitted that she didn't eat vegetables at all, she just ate junk. Actually she was probably vegan (this was before vegan was widely considered separate from vegetarian), because there was no mention of even eating anything that might have had eggs or dairy in it - just anything that didn't have animal products in it, so her diet consisted of things like the coke, potato chips, candy, and donuts.

Ironically, with the huge number of potato chip companies in this area of Pa, there is one brand of potato chips that still cooks their potato chips in lard. (Grandma Utz Handcooked) I'm sure she wasn't eating that brand.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 13:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just watched KFC's new fake meat ad and thought to myself the only nutrients in that meal is the catsup they're dipping the fried mystery ball in.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 14:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just watched KFC's new fake meat ad and thought to myself the only nutrients in that meal is the catsup they're dipping the fried mystery ball in.
Somewhere in the manufacturing process, they might have added some ground-up multivitamin so that they can advertise nutrients!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 19:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Somewhere in the manufacturing process, they might have added some ground-up multivitamin so that they can advertise nutrients!

It's "fortified"
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 21:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

#10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 04:41

BF:

To me, the real kicker of veganism is the fake foods. Much like Atkins Nutritionals, which went bankrupt and was bought by a snack food company.

To appeal to low carbers they create "low carb" snacks which sabotage so many people because they aren't low carb.

To appeal to vegans there are endless meat and cheese substitutes which lack the nutrition of the real thing.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
To me, the real kicker of veganism is the fake foods. Much like Atkins Nutritionals, which went bankrupt and was bought by a snack food company.

To appeal to low carbers they create "low carb" snacks which sabotage so many people because they aren't low carb.

To appeal to vegans there are endless meat and cheese substitutes which lack the nutrition of the real thing.

The fake meats are designed to taste like meat, not to have the nutrients that real meat has. All the positive press that these 'foods' are getting is based only on taste and feel, not on health. It seems to me to be a clever marketing scam that will lead to poor health.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 15:09

BF:

They could just take a piece of cardboard, inject it with flavors and a few nutrients.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 20:03

Quote:
They could just take a piece of cardboard, inject it with flavors and a few nutrients.
Cardboard is high in fiber, so it must be healthy.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 03:34

BF:

Quote:

Haven't they already DONE that?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 14:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

I am under the impression that that's how Pop Tarts were developed.