Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Breaking news: American Diabetes Association CEO manages her diabetes with a low-carb

From DietDoctor.com

Quote:
Here’s some highly encouraging news: the influential CEO of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) is on the record as a low-carb eater.

In a recent podcast interview that is setting the low-carb world abuzz, ADA CEO Tracy Brown said she successfully manages her own type 2 diabetes, and has come off all her insulin and three other medications, by avoiding sugar and carbs. Commentators are calling it a pivotal “tipping point” and hugely significant milestone in the acceptance for low-carb eating for diabetes. It marks the first time a high-placed ADA official has described personal success with a low-carb diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/breaking...a-low-carb-diet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Chipping away the fog and moving toward realization. One step at a time. Good stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Also this article about the interview in "A Sweet Life"
https://asweetlife.org/american-dia...r-low-carb-diet
I first saw this on the TypeOneGrit FB page...the one slide wrap:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F915D3E3-EF95-4B6E-B152-F3B6A26BEC71.jpeg (29.7 KB, 6 views)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 04:30

BF:

I like the straightforward way she lays it out:

Quote:
Here is what I do. And it is pretty simple. Elevated blood sugars happen when you have sugars in your body and you don’t have insulin to manage the sugars in your body.

Carbohydrates turn into sugar. So I just try to get people to be aware of how many carbohydrates you are actually putting in your body.

And the emphasize on reducing stress and improving sleep. Which is all my philosophy these days.

She's putting certain doctors and scientists to shame with this basic understanding of what works.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 07:52

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

How long before ADM/Kelloggs/General Mills gets this woman canned? No. I'm not kidding.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 09:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
How long before ADM/Kelloggs/General Mills gets this woman canned? No. I'm not kidding.

I was concerned about that too. I don't feel like looking up the corporate partners from the ADA right now, but you know there's going to be push-back on this from the any and all corporate partners who make the processed starches and carbs that are the backbone of a "healthy" diabetic diet, determined to prove that it's the (saturated animal) fats that cause/worsen diabetes. They can't fault her for admitting she eats a fast food salad when she can't get a "proper" meal, but, you can be sure they'll be screaming from the rooftops that she's courting a heart attack by eating that fast food burger, and ditching the bun, and worse than that, encouraging other diabetics to do the same.

In the food climate where a vegan diet is being pushed as the answer to all problems from climate change to ultimate health, this is quite the gutsy thing for her to do, to actually admit she's literally going against the grain, and that doing so continues to make her more healthy every day. I wish her well - and hope she's not silenced, but like you, sadly, I believe it's inevitable.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 10:42

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Tracy Brown is a very courageous woman. Watch this space. The Industrial Powers That Be will be on her case like a chicken on a grasshopper.

I'm delighted that DietDoctor (and others) have evidence-based clout to back her up if necessary.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 12:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Tracy Brown is a very courageous woman. Watch this space. The Industrial Powers That Be will be on her case like a chicken on a grasshopper.

Yes, a lot of corporate money flows into the ADA. But a competing organization can be set up. It's a lobbying group or non-profit kind of thing.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 13:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Carbohydrates turn into sugar. So I just try to get people to be aware of how many carbohydrates you are actually putting in your body.

This is the message that MUST reach ALL members of the medical community, MDs and Dietitions to start.
ADA changed their stand on low carb just a short time ago, can't recall the exact number of months, but clearly with their CEO coming out of the closet, low carb acceptance is one step closer.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 14:46

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Instead of treating type 2 diabetes with drugs, now they may move to prevent/cure it with diet. Of course, that will drive off their drug sponsors.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 09:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Instead of treating type 2 diabetes with drugs, now they may move to prevent/cure it with diet.
Of course, we know it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. It's about options, and making choices based on both science and individual needs.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 10:00

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

There are still going to be diabetics who are not willing to give up their carbs, which means they're still going to need the drugs, and suffer the related consequences.

It's like a smoker fully understanding how many ways smoking is killing them, but they'll continue to smoke anyway, because they just can't convince themselves it's worth giving up something they love, just to be healthier.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 11:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
There are still going to be diabetics who are not willing to give up their carbs, which means they're still going to need the drugs, and suffer the related consequences.

It's like a smoker fully understanding how many ways smoking is killing them, but they'll continue to smoke anyway, because they just can't convince themselves it's worth giving up something they love, just to be healthier.

Very true, and I think it's because a lot of people don't know, or don't trust, the search of better (might I say more sustainable?) ways to enjoy themselves.

When you don't feel well, low energy, social circle is small or erratic, funds not enough: that pint of ice cream or drive-through run feels DO-ABLE. I understand.

But it's also the thing that keeps a person thinking that way.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 12:19
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

What? Angel Food Cake and fruit cocktail are no longer healthful options on our menu? Sacrilege