Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 03:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How fake medical news is SERIOUSLY damaging our health

How fake medical news is SERIOUSLY damaging our health: From vaccines and heart pills to cancer drugs and diets, as experts report a rise in misinformation online, a special investigation tackles the dangerous myths threatening our health

Quote:
Public Health England told The Mail on Sunday it was ‘concerned’ about the amount of health-related fake news online. Meanwhile, the Government is expected to publish a White Paper later this year on reforms to internet and social media laws. This is urgently needed. Half of us admit to turning to social media rather than medical professionals for advice on health problems. And just last week, a survey revealed a 9,000 per cent rise in the past three years in internet searches relating to serious symptoms.

Quote:
FAKE NEWS: STATINS DON’T WORK AND CAN EVEN KILL

Statins, the cholesterol-lowering pills first introduced in the 1980s, are hotly debated. Today, they are prescribed to at least eight million Britons in order to lower their heart-attack risk.

But over the past decade a cottage industry, driven by a small group of medically qualified sceptics, has grown up around the notion that statins don’t prevent heart attacks, so are a waste of time. They also claim that drug companies have downplayed the side effects of the drugs. ‘There is no evidence of a single person suffering a heart attack or dying from not taking statins,’ claimed one, Dr Aseem Malhotra, in a recent newspaper article.

He describes himself as ‘one of the most influential cardiologists in Britain’, broadly promotes the idea that diet alone is a better approach to improving heart health.

In the US, the leading anti-statin voice is Dr Joseph Mercola, who has almost two million Facebook followers. He claims: ‘Statins may actually make your heart health worse and only appear effective due to statistical deception… [they] increase your risk of serious diseases including cancer.’

Meanwhile, on YouTube, a video viewed a million times from Bob DeMaria, a self-proclaimed ‘doctor of natural health’, claims that eating half a red apple, a plum and some carrots every day halves cholesterol, making diet more effective than statins.

It may sound like amusing nonsense, but one recent study found that heart-disease patients who believe stories such as these and quit their drugs are nearly 20 per cent more likely to die from their condition as a result.

More than half of over-55s stop taking statins after just one year, according to recent reports. Yet evidence from hundreds of thousands of statin-users is overwhelming – the drugs do work, cutting heart-attack and stroke risk significantly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ing-health.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 05:04

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

just did a Joseph Mercola goodreads search and borrowed one of his books from the library lol.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 05:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Daily Fail, now there is a source of medical news you seriously cannot trust!
Steve, Mercola has supported some wanky ideas over the years, so I do not use his articles and interviews about cancer. He did a good interview with Dr Seyfried a few years ago, but also advises grounding and sells some out there supplements. He writes solid articles for his website but also gets the quack label often for the fringe ideas.
Our library has his new book, Fat for Fuel and the companion cookbook by Pete Evans. Since Pete is such a famous chef, I thought the recipes would be complicated, but not so, and both books are worth reading.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 07:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Statins... just talked with a woman last week who had been put on a statin and developed aches and pains. Went back to her doctor, who took her off the statin.

Who knows the number for the number of deaths annually due to prescription meds?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 08:06

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

So, more censorship on the way. Nothing "They" hate as much as people doing their own research and making their own decisions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 08:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
So, more censorship on the way. Nothing "They" hate as much as people doing their own research and making their own decisions.

I think Tom Naughton provides a very good explanation as to why 'they' want to do this, and why we should ignore them, in his recent WAPF talk:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481632
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 10:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
It may sound like amusing nonsense, but one recent study found that heart-disease patients who believe stories such as these and quit their drugs are nearly 20 per cent more likely to die from their condition as a result.

So is the relevant difference for the drug quitters that they "believe stories such as these?" I mean, it might be...

I think this is an article about the "recent study" mentioned;

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/24/heal...tudy/index.html
Quote:
Researchers studied over 28,000 patients in Massachusetts and found three in 10 stopped taking statins after experiencing side effects, which were presumed to be due to the drugs. Some 8.5% of them had a cardiovascular event, such as a heart attack or stroke, within four years -- versus 7.6% of those who continued taking statins.
And 6.6% of patients who stopped taking statins died of all causes, versus 5.4% of those who kept taking them.

At least, there's about a twenty percent increased death rate, although it's all causes rather than just heart disease, which is what I assume "their condition" refers to.

So what do we have here? These people went off statins because they had various symptoms that they blamed on the statins. Whether they actually had the symptoms from the statins is moot to my point here--it seems likely that as a group, the people who went off statins because of their symptoms simply had more symptoms, it seems plausible that people with more symptoms might actually be a bit sicker as a group than people with less symptoms. Can statins cause memory problems etc.? Well, maybe. Poor blood flow due to advanced athero- or arteriosclerosis are also proposed as contributors to this sort of thing, even to the point of dementia. Muscle pain? The heart is a very special muscle--but a muscle, still. The muscle pain might or might not be caused by statins, but unless you did a bunch of squats yesterday, it's not a real good sign. Muscle pain can be a sign of peripheral artery disease. Maybe there is a risk here of putting too much into statins--not so much that decreasing statins might itself put you into danger, maybe it does, but the whole thing might be a red herring, ascribing what are actually signs of more advanced disease to the effect of statins. If there is a protective effect of statins, I do see the danger that people with these possible symptoms of more advanced disease might be just the ones most likely to benefit from the statins, and most likely to go off of them due to what might or might not be side effects of the statins themselves.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 11:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I think Tom Naughton provides a very good explanation as to why 'they' want to do this, and why we should ignore them, in his recent WAPF talk:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481632

OMG!!! After a week with family that stuffed themselves with food, and when cooking wasnt convenient to order 19 inch pizzas !!!!!!, the largest I had EVER seen, I felt like I was in the minority striving to help my kids eat well, and me too.

This came at the perfect time to help me get back with the program, that low carb is not useless, despite the nay-sayers... I get to walk my walk......

..... and it was the dentist, yup, a government trainee, that pushed the pizza... when I had plenty of hamburger and vegies for my kids.

Thank you for helping me "normalize" after a trip into the other world, and now I can go forward again on MY journey.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 04:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My take is that Keys jiggered his data and it doesn’t hold up, so everything that flows from it, like statins, is suspect.

The explanation that makes sense to me that any benefit of statins (and when you break it down, it’s never much) comes from the anti-inflammatory action, and there’s better ways to do that.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 10:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Statins might be suspect. That doesn't mean that we can be certain that if a person with heart disease has symptoms of heart disease, like muscle pain and what not, that we can automatically dismiss them as effects of the statins rather than as symptoms of the disease itself. There is an inherent danger in ascribing a symptom to the wrong cause, it keeps you from the proper diagnosis and can give a false sense that you've addressed an underlying issue when you haven't.

Also--Keys is the weakest evidence for ldl cholesterol, saturated fat etc., the lipid hypothesis in general. This would be true even if he'd been correct. Epidemiology, ummph. We have to take pieces of evidence as they stand. I can find somebody who said something very silly about sugar a hundred years ago, that shouldn't make Lustig blush.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 11:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I rely on the work of Dr. Stuart Garveline, “SpaceDoc,” and he’s totally against them.