Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 02:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default UK govt guidelines advising high-carb low-fat diet criticised as “deeply flawed"

Quote:
From The Time
London, UK
6 November, 2018

Health efforts need clean air and less drinking

Melanie Phillips

Disease prevention would be easier if ministers acted to curb pollution, alcoholism and gambling

The (British) health secretary Matt Hancock has called on people to make healthier lifestyle choices, such as reducing their consumption of alcohol, sugar, salt, fat and junk food, stopping smoking and staying active. At present, some £97 billion is spent on treating disease but only £8 billion on prevention. Hancock wants to shift the balance by getting people to take more responsibility for their health.

He was immediately criticised for blaming the victim. “People do not ‘choose’ obesity or diabetes or cancer,” said Simon Capewell, professor of public health and policy at Liverpool University. “They have just been overwhelmed by a toxic environment.”

Of course, much ill-health is the result of a genetic and environmental lottery. It’s harder to avoid junk food and unhealthy lifestyles if you are poor, ill-housed and depressed. Yet people are not purely helpless victims of circumstances. They make choices. They are not “overwhelmed” by obesity. They become obese because they eat too much. No one makes them do that. And obesity contributes greatly to ill-health.

While individuals need to take more responsibility for disease prevention, the government needs to do more too. According to research by King’s College London, air pollution is estimated to cause 9,500 deaths each year in London alone and 40,000 early deaths a year across Britain. More than 40 UK towns and cities have reached or exceeded air pollution limits set by the World Health Organisation.

The adverse effects of excessive alcohol are legion. The Alcohol Health Alliance, a group of more than 50 medical organisations, says 23,000 deaths a year are linked to alcohol. A number of studies have found that increasing its price reduces consumption and diminishes the rate of alcohol-related damage including vehicle crashes, disease, violence and other crime.

Yet unlike in Scotland where a minimum price has been set, proposals to do this in England were defeated, reportedly through pressure from the alcohol industry.

Our psychiatric wards are stuffed with patients suffering from cannabis-induced psychosis. Disease prevention obviously requires a policy to reduce the use of an illegal drug responsible for a wide range of illness and damage. Yet Britain has been moving instead towards tacit acceptance of cannabis consumption.

Gambling addiction can produce devastating consequences including suicide. There are now about 430,000 people in Britain with gambling problems, costing the NHS hundreds of millions a year, according to a 2016 report by the IPPR think tank. Yet a plan to reduce to £2 the maximum stake for fixed-odds betting terminals, held to be principally responsible for huge increases in gambling addiction, has been delayed.

Will Hancock’s prevention strategy mean that the government will now cut air pollution, introduce minimum alcohol pricing for England, restore the April 2019 date for lowering the maximum stake for FOBTs and halt the drive towards de facto decriminalisation of cannabis? Don’t hold your breath.

Instead, the government interferes where it should properly keep its distance, confusing the need to get people to take more responsibility for their health with telling them what to do.

For example, Hancock calls on employers to do more to “help improve the health of their staff” by offering free fruit, counselling, bereavement and legal services and cycle-to-work schemes. In other words, he wants to turn employers into branches of social services.

He wants to use digital technology to target individuals or localities for “predictive prevention”. But the government’s record of advice about healthy lifestyles doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Its guidelines advising a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet have been criticised as “deeply flawed” by Professor David Haslam, chairman of the National Obesity Forum. Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra said this advice was “more like a metabolic time-bomb than a dietary pattern conducive for good health”.

The chief medical officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies, earned criticism and scorn for saying that women should contemplate the risks of breast cancer before having even one glass of wine. Other experts say, on the contrary, that one glass of wine a day could cut strokes and heart disease.

So will Hancock’s co-ordinated predictive prevention strategy be worth a row of bedpans? On the BBC Today programme, the health secretary agreed that a large proportion of the extra £20 billion being poured into the NHS will go towards prevention and he claims that this will take pressure off frontline services.

It won’t. Pressure on the NHS is overwhelming and insuperable because a health system funded from general taxation will always be unable to keep up with increasing demand.

The unpalatable truth is that the NHS itself militates against individual responsibility because its core assumption of healthcare entitlement is a one-way street.

People will only alter their risky behaviour if they have to contribute to the cost of treating the consequences. That means replacing the NHS with some kind of European-style social insurance system, with higher premiums for self-destructive lifestyles.

Hancock’s ends are sound, but he has ducked facing up honestly to the means.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...nking-hztfqn5wk

Quote:
NHS prevention plan aims to boost healthy life expectancy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46093750

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-po...ness-prevention

Quote:
People must take responsibility for own health, says Matt Hancock

Professionals criticise health secretary’s call for adoption of healthier lifestyles

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ys-matt-hancock

Quote:
Let me eat cake: the health secretary’s prevention talk is meaningless

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ividual-choices
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 05:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
DR ASEEM MALHOTRA We must stop popping pills and start taking a dose of social medicine

DOCTORS should be able to prescribe Spotify to dementia patients instead of just dishing out drugs, our new Health Secretary has said.

Matt Hancock is a fan of “social prescribing” which means you could be sent to the gym or a yoga class if your GP thinks it would boost your wellbeing.

And it’s not just going to fitness clubs that could become doctor’s orders.

Medics could pack you off to bingo or tell you to join a knitting club if it could improve your health.

Mr Hancock wants to create a National Academy for Arts on Prescription and says these type of community interventions should be available to all patients by 2023.

Having worked as a cardiologist in the NHS for 17 years, I’m right behind him on this.

Right now, modern medicine is the greatest threat to public health. Many doctors are too quick to dish out pills.

Often they come with nasty side-effects, increase your risk of an early death and reduce your quality of life. I’ve seen thousands of people on statins when they would be better off cutting out junk food and taking a daily 30-minute walk.

By accepting a pill, they are not dealing with the root cause of their health problems. And they are unhappy.

Not only can these lifestyle measures and community-based prescriptions help deal with serious health problems, they will make you happier and boost your quality of life, too.

Music can significantly reduce symptoms in dementia patients, according to a report published early this year. So why not get Alzheimer’s patients listening to their favourite playlists?

Exposure to arts and culture could improve a wide range of conditions, including mental health problems, ageing and loneliness.

Going to the library can beat stress, a condition linked to a whole range of illnesses from obesity through to depression and diabetes.

Reading a book is more relaxing than watching telly or checking your phone. It’s a quiet, calm environment that is great for mental health.

Volunteering to help others or give something back to your community is good for you.

Gardening is good for both mental and physical health.

Writing or cooking classes can help you relax and they combat loneliness.
Who wouldn’t prefer this to popping a pill?

I have started prescribing meditation to many of my patients.

Those with chest pain or heart disease find it helps with their symptoms. I have been advocating lifestyle medicine for many years.

It has been proven to lower your risk of chronic illness but it also makes you feel happier in the short term.

Perhaps we should include a prescription for time off social media. You may feel better if you actually meet a friend for a coffee as opposed to spending hours chatting to them via the net.

I tell my patients to switch off for two to three hours before going to bed. It helps sleep and getting a good night’s rest can reduce your chances of many illnesses, including cancer and heart disease.

Acupuncture might not cure cancer but perhaps it will ease the symptoms, and an hour of yoga might take your mind off it for a while.

Owning a pet can help your physical and mental health, so don’t be surprised if your GP advocates buying a dog.

It may sound airy fairy, but it really isn’t. There is good science behind it.

The town of Frome, Somerset, has seen a dramatic fall in hospital admissions since it began a community project to combat isolation.

Set up by GP Helen Kingston in 2013, the Compassionate Frome project employed “health connectors” to help patients plan their care and “community connectors” to help them find support.

Sometimes this meant handling debt or housing problems, sometimes joining choirs or exercise groups.

They found it reduced loneliness, which can exacerbate illness.

Preliminary results from the area have found it may lead to fewer hospital admissions and allow savings to the health budget.

Diabetes costs the NHS £10billion a year. But research has shown that those with type 2 diabetes can put themselves into remission by taking up a healthy diet and exercise.

If doctors prescribe this, rather than pills, the NHS would save hundreds of millions that is currently spent on medications to treat the disease. And patients would not be having the nasty side-effects they get taking pills.

Lifestyle medicine should be at the forefront of the NHS.

Instead of turning to doctors that are too quick to dish out pills, try adopting lifestyle measures to make you happier and boost your quality of life.

If we do that, I have no doubt that within a few years we can make a real difference to our NHS crisis.

We will make the population healthier, happier and more productive from an economic perspective.

It is good to know Matt Hancock is fully on board with making this happen.
But there is a caveat.

Our environment and social circumstances also have to be conducive to helping people live healthier lives.

At the moment we have a discrepancy where doctors may give you a social prescription, which involves going to the gym or a slimming club, but then you walk out of the hospital corridor straight into a vending machine full of chocolate bars and fizzy drinks.

Simon Stevens, chief executive of NHS England, has promised to sort this out, but the Government must address it as a priority so patients can swim with the current rather than against the tide.

If it doesn’t, these wonderful changes that Mr Hancock advocates will only have a limited impact.

Dr Malhotra is an NHS cardiologist and best-selling author of The Pioppi Diet.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/76771...ocial-medicine/

Last edited by Demi : Wed, Nov-07-18 at 05:59.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 08:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THis is such a complicated web.

I'll tackle just this one:

Quote:
For example, Hancock calls on employers to do more to “help improve the health of their staff” by offering free fruit, counselling, bereavement and legal services and cycle-to-work schemes. In other words, he wants to turn employers into branches of social services.

Those of us that watn to change our lifestyle should have it supported by the workplace, not mandated by the work place.

At one place of employment, on my birthday I could go to HR to get a healthy snack: choose a high carb, cardboard like health bar. Really.

Fruit can be as dangerous as any other carb, for most of us.

Otherwise on VERY hot days we were offered a Popsicle. Yes, sugar laden cheap crap. I always passed.

My brother in law bikes to work, because he wants to. There is a place where he can put his bike for safe keeping. At the place I worked, we on the floor did not participate in the " who can walk the most steps in a week competition--- at nearly 20,000 steps a day what was the point of competing?

Encouragement and support is far different than forcing and mandating.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 09:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Encouragement and support is far different than forcing and mandating.

Well stated, and I would add enabling access to the most recent health information to encourage the establishment of an informed workplace.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 10:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It's exceedingly hard to get people to do things that they don't like to do. I do a lot of bicycling (over 10,000 miles last year) because I enjoy it. If I did not enjoy it, I doubt that I could be convinced to ride at all.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Having options and encouraging a sport or other activity starting in middle school would be beneficial.

In my school district there is so little money that the extra curricular sports are by pay-only, some with huge $200 fee for one sport. Guess who participates?? THe double income families. ANd a number of sports are gone all together.

When I looked at a private school for my son, so he could have better, and praying for a BIG scholarship, we found that the private school mandated sports for all students. From 2-5/6 every day was sports. Indoor tracks, swimming, etc. And for those really resistant to sports, keeping score was allowable. We noticed the 3 times on campus that obesity was not an issue, and only 1 or two was "chunky" .

I have also noticed in the school my sons attend ( son didnt get into private school. 8000 apply, 400 accepted; but got into the one where 200 out of 850 accepted) that again only a few are very overweight.

I am trying to understand what is the future of kids that are not on an even playing field just because of their body weight. Yes I am being blunt. I mean no disrespect, but stating my concern that extra body weight from a young age is hurting the future of our children beyond health issues.

To get the kids eating well we need to get the parents feeding well. How to reach the parents????
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 20:00

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Curiosity, are the children attending those private schools generally from higher income families owing to affordability of higher tuition costs? As well as the potential benefit of having sports programs at their schools, since obesity tends statistically to pair with poverty better socioeconomic status might also be at play.
Quote:
It’s harder to avoid junk food and unhealthy lifestyles if you are poor, ill-housed and depressed. Yet people are not purely helpless victims of circumstances. They make choices. They are not “overwhelmed” by obesity. They become obese because they eat too much. No one makes them do that. And obesity contributes greatly to ill-health.

I wish more people would begin to recognize obesity is a hormonal disorder and not just a blame-the-victim case of "eating too much." And is a symptom of metabolic disorder among other illnesses, and not its cause.