Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 09:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs down Can Bread Make You Fat?

The Diet Detective
By Charles Stuart Platkin
December 23, 2002

Can Bread Make You Fat?

In 1972, at the age of 10, I pleaded with my parents to get me the Dr. Atkins diet book so I could finally lose weight. I remember cutting out the bread, pasta, and rice, as well as the sweet things like cookies, candies, and cakes. I guess you're wondering - did I actually lose weight? Yes, of course - who doesn't lose weight if they cut out bagels, spaghetti, chocolate bars, and doughnuts?

Now ask me if I gained the weight back. Of course I did.

It's interesting that a diet that is 30 years old is now back in style - from hip New York SoHo gatherings to the L.A. Hollywood circuit low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets are gracing the covers of magazines and making news headlines nationwide.

The idea behind these diets is to drastically reduce your carbohydrate intake so the body will burn its own fat for fuel. In theory, this process changes your body from a carbohydrate-burning engine into a fat-burning engine.

I wondered - if a calorie is really just a calorie, then why would it matter if you are eating steak or bread?

Carbohydrates are not intrinsically fattening - it's the excess calories that make you gain weight. "In terms of pure energy usage, it really doesn't matter whether you eat a 500-calorie bagel or a well-balanced meal of 500 calories, when you look at weight loss or gain," says Eleftheria Maratos-Flier, M.D., senior investigator on obesity, Joslin Diabetes Center, and associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

In fact, to be precise, excess calories from carbohydrates (bread, bagels, pasta) are actually less fattening than are excess calories from fat (butter, mayonnaise, frying oils) because the body has to burn calories to convert excess carbohydrates into body fat - although the difference is negligible.

But the "calorie is just a calorie" theory doesn't tell the entire story, otherwise Dr. Atkins would not be enjoying his recent return to the spotlight. So what makes millions of dieters think that Atkins has a leg to stand on?

First of all, carbohydrates are typically metabolized quickly - which means you want to eat more, because you feel hungry again soon after you eat. On the other hand, when you eat fat (bacon, eggs, steak, etc.), it takes a much longer time to digest and, therefore, you feel fuller longer.

"A high-protein, high-fat breakfast, such as a mushroom-cheese omelet, stays with you longer than the same number of calories from a high-carb bagel with jam, thus curbing your hunger, which makes it easier to cut calories over the course of a day," says Dr. Maratos-Flier.

Another bonus of the Atkins approach is the all-important mental hurdle of dieting - rather than struggling to deprive yourself, this diet feels easy because it places no limits on the amount of meats, fats, eggs, cheese, and other tasty high-fat foods you can eat.

Finally, the Atkins diet has a tricky quirk of biochemistry on its side. As discussed above, both carbohydrates and fat provide fuel for the body's energy needs, with carbohydrates being the first fuel to be metabolized.

However, when you restrict your intake of digestible carbohydrates, at a certain point, the body converts from its primary metabolic pathway of burning carbohydrate for fuel to burning fat as its main energy source. This results in weight loss. This process is known to "Atkinites" (and the medical world) as ketosis.

"The problem with reaching a state of ketosis is that it is a very inefficient process and can cause problems such as reduced overall energy, endurance, and strength," says Robert Kushner, M.D., medical director of the Wellness Institute and the Nutrition, Fitness and Weight Management Programs at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and professor of medicine at Northwestern University Medical School.

And that's not the only downside of high-fat eating - there is hard scientific data supporting the importance of low-fat diets in reducing the possibility of heart disease and certain types of cancer. "These diets disregard years of great research about the role of low-fat diets in the prevention of disease," says Dr. Kushner.

Additionally, the high-fat approach requires that we eschew a wide variety of foods - including fruits and many vegetables - which have been shown to have extensive health benefits. "Our body is not like filling up the tank of the family car, where all that is used to make the engine run is gas. Our body needs a mix of fuel on a daily basis, including protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals and if it doesn't get this 'blended' source of energy it can create problems for us," adds Dr. Kushner.

Beyond its dubious health effects, the Atkins plan fails to take key components of human behavior into account. To start, much of the premise for eating a high-protein, high-fat diet is that you simply eat less because you feel satiated, but this relies on an assumption that we only eat when we're hungry. However, this is not the reality for many of us.

"The idea that we eat only out of physiological necessity is a naïve way of looking at the problem," says Dr. Maratos-Flier. "We eat for many reasons, including entertainment, stress, celebration, habit (e.g. finishing all your food on your plate), or simply because it's there."

Another downfall of the Atkins plan is the long-term feasibility of sustaining this way of eating for the rest of your life.

"I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who is able to give up bread, pasta, cake, and even fruits for the rest of their life. The Atkins plan gets great short-term results - but once you have a 'little taste' of bread, not only does it knock your body out of ketosis, but you may likely overindulge because you've been deprived for so long," says Dr. Maratos-Flier.

Simply put, people gain weight when they eat more calories than they burn. It does not matter if these excess calories come from carbohydrate, fat, or protein -- the trick is to find a way of eating healthfully that you can sustain for the rest of your life.

"Really moderation, combined with behavior modification, is the best, and by far the healthiest, way to lose weight - but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to satisfy the hunger of the masses looking for answers to their weight loss desires," reflects Kushner.

Charles Stuart Platkin is a syndicated health, nutrition and fitness writer, author of the best-selling book, Breaking the Pattern (Red Mill Press, 2002), and founder of Nutricise.com. Copyright 2002 by Charles Stuart Platkin

©Haddon Herald 2002

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?...9&PAG=461&rfi=9
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 10:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Once again, another opinion that totally discounts and fails to even mention the effects of excess insulin production on fat storage/release brought on by excess carb consumption.
Hard scientific data supporting low fat diets preventing heart disease? I have yet to read one that does, so I really wish they'd quote the source of these wonderful studies so I can read them for myself. Maybe I've missed the one that they keep referring to?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/175/168
BF:
Progress: 90%

This is an interesting article, a kind of yes Atkins works but "if it looks like its too good to be true it usually is"

With most fad diets that maxim is bang on, I suspect with low-carb we have the exception that proves the rule. It only looks so good because the medically orthodox ways of losing weight are so impossible and forlorn.

On of the problems is people become very attached to certain foods (almost to the point of being addicited) so they would rather be overwight than live without bread or potatoes.

Well so be it, we have to respect people's choices (some people smoke, for example).

But a large percentage of people are only eating these things because they believe they're good for them.

That was my reason for eating low fat, lots of 'healthy' cereals, bread, potato etc. Now I know different and I am liberated from the drudgery of eating these awful foods.

Of course, there is also the error of mixing up all fruit, veg and cereals in one group. I think I'm having a little less fruit than before, but amd having salads and green vegetables every day (and much more fish.) I am of course not eating any bread or high GI vegetables.

One other point I want to make is that if you are addicted to a food you cannot predict how you'll feel toward it when the addiction has been broken. I have eaten a bar (sometimes alot more ) of chocolate every day since the age of 15 (actually on most days since the age of 8) and from the first week of low carb I had not the slightest desire or interest in chocolate.

Finally of course the article completely fails to mention the efect of insulin on blood sugar and the effect of insulin resistence on obesity and other ills. (Since going low carb I have normalised blood pressure, no longer have heartburn or indigestion, and have not had a headache in the past six months - I used to have headaches most days and have normalised blood sugar - I think doing without bread is really a very very small price to pay)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Can Bread Make You Fat?

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
I wondered - if a calorie is really just a calorie, then why would it matter if you are eating steak or bread?

As Ayn Rand used to say, "Check your premises." Not all calories are created equal. See The Schwarzbein Principle for a clear explanation of this. Food calories are measured in the lab by breaking the food down to its elements and observing how much it heats water. But the body is not a lab. Fat is not broken all the way down to its elements. It's broken down only so far as necessary to use the material to rebuild cells and tissues. Not so for carbs. They are either expended as energy or stored as fat (thanks to the resulting insulin) around the midsection.

Sheldon