Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 08:54

Plan: Meat & Eggs/IF
Stats: 165.2/159.6/155 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Anyone Else?

Has scale phobia? My last weigh in was on Oct 25th and have scheduled my next weigh in for Nov 10th. I purchased a new digital scale yesterday and very nervous to weigh. I am wondering what if the scale stays the same? What if using two different scales (first at the doc's) and now my new one, will they match? Which scale might be a few pounds off? Since Oct 25th will the scale SHOW ALL my hard work and right eating habits? I am so debating skipping my Nov 10th weigh in and waiting til Nov 24th. . . But then how will I know how I am doing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 09:40

Plan: Lighterlife (UK) sort of!
Stats: 397/244/173 Male 6'2"
BF:50.1%/31.3%/22.2%
Progress: 68%

It doesn't matter if your doctor's scale and your home scale don't calibrate. Treat them as separate things, which they are. Just look for hard and regular evidence from each of them to prove you are continuing being successful. You're 15lbs down already; you must have been doing something right! Have faith and trust yourself to stick with the disciplines, and you'll see the reward feeding back from those scales. Fortnightly? What's wrong with daily? In the naked privacy of your own bathroom. It forces you to be honest with yourself, and to tweak your behaviours if necessary.

Because that's the only answer to your oh what if and oh how will I questions. Don't put off the confrontation to November the 24th, after Christmas, or another lifetime. Meet the challenge head on, and if you don't like what the scales are telling you, brutally honestly review what you've been doing and do different from henceforth. You'll get there.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 10:53

BF:

Thank you for your reply. The reason I do not weigh daily because some time ago I did the Scarsdale which requires you to weigh daily. When there was no loss I would become depressed and binge eat. Then if there was a loss, I would binge eat to CELEBRATE. Now what sense did that make? None, so thats why I avoid the scale. But I will weigh on the 10. The scale won't lie.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 20:09

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm very OCD about my scale. I weight multiple times a day so that I can detect patterns in my weight loss. (I'm a very analytical person though, so this isn't really a surprise given my personality.) But I am quite particular that my scale stay on the exact same place on the floor. If someone moves it, it gives me a different number. My grandmother comes over and moves it without thinking about it, and it drives me nuts. I just don't want to tell her. lol

But I do get a little phobic sometimes. I've got a cheat planned for my birthday on the 15th and I probably won't weigh myself for at least 2 days afterward.

Oh, and don't go by your doctor's scale. It includes the weight of the clothes you're wearing and it'll probably depress you.

I'd say bite the bullet and weigh on the new scale. Keep in mind you may get a different number just because it's a new scale, but not because you gained anything.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 20:39

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I"m another daily weigher...I know when I've eaten something I feel is off and that helps me to know if it was truly something detrimental or a permissable treat. The only time all bets are off are about a week prior to TOM...my emotions are nuts then and I don't need an inevitable gain to shove me deeper.

When I've had a really bad few days, I do not want to weigh as I know it won't be good...but I can't be accountable for my actions unless I am honest with myself and pay attention to my body's reactions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 07:35

Plan: Atkins/ Dr Eades
Stats: 205/196.5/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm phobic too...mostly because the scale is ~ 2 days behind. So if I eat poorly today (Monday), it will smash the scale on Wednesday. So I don't get that immediate feedback. I'm trying to enjoy my clothes fitting better and am starting to get that "good energy" feeling.

WE CAN DO IT!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 09:44

Plan: >60 carbs, 1500 cals
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have this problem: I'll take very good care of myself, eat properly, get plenty of exercise and feel really good. I'll feel slim, healthy and proud of my efforts. Then I get on the scale and if the scale doesn't reflect how I feel and the work I put in, I get dispirited and start to think stuff like "Why do I even bother?"

It really sucks and I don't know what I can do about it. I weigh myself only weekly on the scale at the gym; I don't keep one at home anymore. I actually threw mine down the stairs some months ago while I was getting rid of it because the crashing noise made me feel good. I'd have taken a sledgehammer to the thing if I had one.

Last edited by SundayNext : Mon, Nov-08-10 at 09:45. Reason: typo
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 12:33

Plan: Atkins/DANDR
Stats: 208/149.5/130 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm scale-phobic too. When I first started LCing in August, I only got weighed on the doctor's scale once a month and only asked the nurse to tell me what, if anything I lost, but NOT tell me what I weighed. I lost 17lbs. the first time and 10 the next, but after that visit, I knew I might want to start the OWL process, so I HAD to know what I weighed. So I bit the bullet and asked the nurse to tell me what I weighed and then, when I got home, I weighed myself on my home scale (on which I was 2 lbs less). So, what I do now until my next doctor's visit is use my home scale (I only weigh twice a week to see how I'm doing with different foods), but add on to whatever it says the 2 lbs. extra that the doctor's scale said I weighed. I've been doing that for a couple of weeks now and I STILL hold my breath before I get on it, but it has gotten a little easier...especially when I see a good result!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNext
I have this problem: I'll take very good care of myself, eat properly, get plenty of exercise and feel really good. I'll feel slim, healthy and proud of my efforts. Then I get on the scale and if the scale doesn't reflect how I feel and the work I put in, I get dispirited and start to think stuff like "Why do I even bother?"

Oh my goodness, I know what you mean. I keep very close track of my weight loss, so I know all the periods of time I've had since I re-started LC that I lost nothing. I had a streak of 25 days where I lost absolutely nothing and it was brutal. I don't know how I made it through it! I also had a month where I only lost 3.8lbs and the month before I only lost about 5. That was SO discouraging because I was so disciplined. I wanted to give up, but I knew that if I did I wouldn't get anywhere at all. I managed to stick it out and I'm very glad I did. But wow, it was hard. After those couple of months, I paid very close attention to my spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet) and determined the times I'm most likely to lose weight and tweaked things in order to maximize my weight loss. I must say it's worked because I lost 8lb the first month of tweaking and 6.8 the second month. I'm on my third month of tweaking (my months run from the 29th-28th) and so far this month I've lost 3.6, so I'm making good progress.

Obsessiveness has helped me, but I know I drive everyone crazy because this is pretty much the only thing I talk about. It's the only way I can stay focused. :/
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 17:46

Plan: my own
Stats: 224.8/207/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

i am compulsed also i weigh every day i take the good with the bad because i also track my foods and it helps me to know if i am pushing enough water or maybe i had to much sodium.
as far as the new scale i had to buy a new one old one crashed. i made sure it was accurate before i stepped on it weighing a ten lb bag of rice the dogs not mine lol. that way i don't move it from where it is. found out my old scale was off by 4 lbs but i still lost total weight just not as low as i had thought. if you fear it leave it alone but don't let the scale be your only judge. let your body tell you also by the way it feels and how your clothes fit.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 17:51

I agree, newme! I also measure myself at least once a week and check every couple weeks on clothes that I have in smaller sizes that haven't fit me in forever. (I've been saving clothes as low as size 8 from when I lost all the weight before.) I tried on my size 12 jeans last night, actually. I pleasantly surprised to find that I can get them up over my butt, just can't button them. I'm in most size 14s now. 16s are too big across the board. I expect the 12s to fit somewhere around 180-185.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 08:50

BF:

Over the weekend threw away all my 16s and 14s and now my closet looks a little smaller...LOL Most of the clothing were work clothes, (dress pants). So going shopping this weekend for the kids for Thanksgiving so I will pick up a few work pants 10s NOT many cause I want to save my money to buy my 7s and 5s for New Years:-)

Well, I will be doing my two week weigh in tomorrow then on the 24th. After that I will be weighing weekly on Mondays which will keep me on track over the weekends:-) I already do pretty well during the week and able to keep up my exercises on the weekend, so I will see:-)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 11:02

Yeah, I can't afford to buy new pants every month and a half, so I stick with skirts. They fit for a long time! I have skirts from when I started that still aren't too big and then skirts from when I was much smaller are starting to fit.

I bought two pairs of pants a couple months ago and I can't even wear them now because they're too big. Certainly can't afford that!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 11:57

BF:

Gosh no! But at the same time isn't it wonderful they are too big now?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 12:00

Yeah, but I was also disappointed because I really liked them! I'm just going to stick with skirts through size 14. I saved all my 12s from before, so I'll get in them eventually. Actually I saved all my 12s, 10s, and 8s so I should be covered through at least the 160s once I finish with size 14.