Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 16:11
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

DietMonstr, I use a clay-based soap (also use it on the rest of my bod) and coconut oil. Now and then I mix some clay and water and use it as a face mask, or make a scrub with honey and sugar.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 21:07
Dazilous

BF:

Okay, question...sunscreen?

I am very fair and burn pretty easily. It doesn't show up until hours later, so I don't know at the time that I'm burning. I lay out today for about 30-40 minutes, then hit the shade for a while, then lay out again maybe 20 minutes...I am a lobster now, many hours later!

Are there natural suncreeens? Alternatives to regular drugstore stuff? Or should I start carrying a parasol or wearing enormous hats?
  #168   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 22:21

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've heard that coconut oil functions as a low-level sunscreen. I'm in the same boat as you, paleness-wise. I burn at the drop of a hat. I don't like sunscreen either, so I generally just try to wear clothes that cover me up if I know I'm going to be in the sun for longer than 20-30 min.
  #169   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 08:55

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I posted about this at the beginning of spring and didn't get anything useful.

I've started wearing a big hat with a goofy scarf draped so it hangs over my ears and the sides of my neck when i go for my morning walk. I just put up with the itchy rash I get until my (pale, pathetic) tan comes in.

I can't tell if the coconut oil makes any difference or not. It might, but not very much.

When I know I'll be out all day, like this coming Wed. when we go to an amusement park, I bite the bullet and wear sunscreen AND my goofy hat, and that usually keeps me from getting crispy, although I still get a lot of color and some soreness. Its the one thing I don't like about living at altitude. No amount of sunscreen will keep me from burning some.

I've tried the parasol thing, but its too much trouble. I keep setting it down when I need my hands, and it takes up a lot of space.

Sis (she says in her condescending voice), why on earth is someone with naturally fair skin and a pre-disposition to burning laying out? Hmmm? (raising eyebrows)?

Are you using black tea wash and aloe vera gel for the ouchies?
  #170   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:45
Dazilous

BF:

*bows and scrapes to Batspit*

Well it's funny...my sun tolerance has increased dramatically, as has my tolerance to heat. I've no clue why. So silly as it was, I thought I'd test myself a bit and see how long it took me to burn. Course I can't really tell, since it doesn't come out til later. So, uh, yeah. Learned a lot there.

I'd really like to lay down a base, so as to increase the length of time I can be in the sun without burning. Right now I seem to be at abut 30-40 minutes. This burn doesn't hurt or itch. It's not bad at all. I did put some beeswax/olive oil cream on it to prevent peeling, but no pain or anything to treat, luckily.

And a moment of honesty here...just once I would love a nice, golden tan. Like my part-Native BF, who goes a gorgeous reddish-golden brown. Damn that man. And after spending years and years afraid of the sun and avoiding it, I'd like to heal my relationship with it, if you will.
  #171   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:59

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I'd really like to lay down a base, so as to increase the length of time I can be in the sun without burning.

I do that. I started as soon as it was warm enough to sit outside going out in my jammies and exposing as much flesh as possible without scandalizing the neighbors. I have to start at 10 mins. Now I'm up to 40.

I understand wanting to have a more equitable relationship with the sun. I burn. The DH is constantly amazed at how fast, and how a cloudy day doesn't seem to slow me down.
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 08:18
Dazilous

BF:

Do sunburns drain your energy? Bc I've been a sloth all week so far. I feel totally drained, muscle-wise (not mentally). I wonder if my bod is healing the sunburn and using most of my resources...feels similar to when I had horrible allergies, my whole bod would be totally drained. Burn is almost all gone, but I think it was harder on my body than I realized - I will be more careful.

I'd blame my Brit heritage for my skin, but my English mum tans like a berry. Irish side not so bad either. As a baby/child I got my mum's dad's red hair though...I'm more a brunette now, but seems I have a redhead complexion for the most part.

Question: any recommendations for a nice-smelling essential oil to add to no-poo formula? My poor BF thinks my head stinks. His words. I have a mixture of essential oils I put in bc I am prone to dandruff, so tea tree, rosemary, patchouli and a couple others. Threw some lemongrass in there for scent. BF is in hell and is offering to supply me with artificially scented shampoo for the rest of my life. I like it, personally - and artificial scents are starting to irritate me.
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't recall having that reaction to a sunburn. I'd be more likely to blame something I ate.
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 10:55

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Do sunburns drain your energy?

They do mine, and also can cause queasiness, die-of-the-rear, and other nasty symptoms.

As for your hair smelling pretty, being the sucker that I am, I get all google-nosed over a woman smelling of patchouli. Although too much of it I refer to as "pashoowee."
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 22:25
Dazilous

BF:

How to tell if your soap is real...give it a drug test!

http://www.drbronner.com/index.html
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 00:05

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I haven't tried the shampoo bars before but the soaps are wonderful. They are made by a sweet local couple just outside of Asheville NC where I used to live. I actually used to stop by their house to pick them up.

http://www.balmzara.com/

I'm a patchouli girl myself but I would say just go to a healthfood store and sniff away at the oils they offer. Sandlewood/rose, amber, lavender, rosemary are all pretty yummy smelling. I'm sure there are many flowery/sweet scents as well such as honeysuckle, rose, orange, lemon balm, ylang ylang, jasmine. One of my friends always made sprays mixing 30 drops into a cup or so of water and putting it into a spray bottle as perfume.
  #177   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I haven't been on this site for a long while. Lots going on in my life. But thanks for the interesting read. Eos, thanks for the update!! That was a long time for the stain to last. I will definitely try it.

I wash my face with raw honey and oat flour. I love it.

I do use sunscreen. There are organic ones out there. There are also mineral sunblocks available that uses zinc or titanium oxides rather than chemicals. They're not as effective, but are more natural. I use sunscreen when I'm going to be in the sun for long periods of time.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 11:04

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

You've been missed, Lucysdream.
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 21:29
Dazilous

BF:

I agree Nice to see you.
  #180   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 08:05
Dazilous

BF:

Alrighty...I am in love with Dr. Bronner's soap. It's real, actual soap (as opposed to detergent), suds up extremely well and leaves my skin soft. Nothing artificial in it. Love love love it. And it's not expensive!

I also got a handmade olive oil/beeswax cream from the honey people at the farmer's market that is doing wonders for my feet. Put it on before bed, my feet feel silky in the morning.

Still hunting for natural sunscreens. I've read that several oils work that way - avocado, sesame and others. I'd like to find a mineral one though. My local HFS didn't have, perhaps Whole Foods. I like the mineral creams bc they're effective as soon as you apply them, so I could spend some time getting sun and then slap on the sunscreen later in the day. Just wonder about the whiteness factor.