Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-20, 05:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default 'Overfed and undernourished': Dire warning for Australians to avoid 'diabolical foods

'Overfed and undernourished': Dire warning for Australians to avoid 'diabolical foods'

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/food...rhaul-c-1685321

Quote:
Australian of the Year Dr James Muecke has demanded an overhaul of the nation’s dietary guidelines, saying humans were for the first time in history “overfed and undernourished” due to sugar and refined carbohydrates.

Dr James Muecke, an Adelaide-based eye surgeon, has throughout 2020 called for a crackdown on sugar in drinks and processed foods.

A sugar tax - which Canberra does not support - is central to his campaign.

He told the National Press Club on Tuesday that type-two diabetes was the leading cause of blindness in working-age Australian adults - a disease primarily caused by the over-consumption of sugar, refined carbohydrates and ultra-processed foods which are cheap and accessible.

Cereals and processed grains fall into this category.

Yet Australia’s dietary guidelines, last updated in 2013, discourage excessive consumption of foods with natural saturated fats such as red meat or dairy.

As a result, Dr Muecke said this recommendation shifted consumption patterns towards low-fat, highly-processed products with added sugar.

This was despite a lack of evidence connecting natural saturated fats with cardiovascular disease, stroke or type-two diabetes.

“Why would anyone knowingly put themselves at risk of an illness that would give them decades of unnecessary medical appointments, crippling expenses, lost work and life opportunities?” Dr Muecke said in his address.

“Perhaps because they’re not aware the low-fat, high-carb diet they’ve been consuming for the past 40 years may be causing them harm.”

Dr Muecke said he’d written to the National Health and Medical Research Council this year to request a review of the guidelines, but the federal public health research body denied the guidelines contained biases.

‘Diabolical foods’

He suggested the guidelines were geared towards “healthy adults” - despite two thirds of Australians being overweight or obese.

“It’s the nutrient-deficient, energy-dense calories that are the problem, the sugar and refined carbs and unhealthy fats in ultra-processed foods that are the problem. (They are) at least half our current diet,” Mr Muecke said.

“Supermarket shelves and check-outs are loaded with these diabolical foods.”

Dr Muecke also said current recommendations for type-two diabetes, including eating high-carbohydrate diets, were making the illness worse.

He said there were three successful ways to place type-two diabetes in remission - low calorie diets, low carbohydrate diets or bariatric surgery. Of these, he said the low-carbohydrate diet was the easiest solution.

“Dietary recommendations within the guidelines .. are borne out of weak and unreliable epidemiological data,” Dr Muecke said.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-20, 11:43

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This has been all over my Facebook these last couple of days as a couple of friends of mine were there in attendance. I'm told that a recording of the presentation will be made available online at some point, though I haven't found it yet.

Interesting to read of the response to his attempts to get the guidelines changed, it was pretty much the same as what I got in 2018. You're wrong, nothing to see here, etc. Yet when I dug into the 2011 review for the Australian guidelines earlier this year, I found that the quality of evidence was graded in that review as being "excellent" even though the majority of studies being assessed were observational only and not trials (page 7).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-20, 16:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

While it's only n=1, well actually n=2, my two sons are truly thin at 17 and 18. Because I learned about DANDR and was determined that my kids didnot follow in my obesity steps.

They eat high quality foods. We won't use the mac n cheese from the food pantry. Far better to eat meat, veg, fruits and fats.Better to skip a meal than fill up on mac n cheese.

My boys can eat a scary amount of food, like a dinner plate piled with mashed potatoes and butter.......then skip a meal. Or half a skillet piled high with steak and veg like a stir fry then eat half for dinner, other half for brunch next day.

Yes, quality far out weighs quantities of high grain carbs called bread, donuts and breakfast cereal.

(And I tell my kids what is wrong with the pyramid and the plate! In the US.)

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Dec-01-20 at 17:07.