Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 22:58
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Bumping this!! Someone was looking for it!
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 00:41
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbena
I just made a nice one that tasted like a chocolate macaroon

2 T of Almond meal
1 T of Flax meal
1 T of Unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp of baking powder (although I am not convinced it did anything)
1 heaping T of cocoa
Vanilla Davincis and Cream to moisten. Cook for 2 minutes and Voila!

Sound good. How much Vanilla DaVinci and Cream?? Thanks.
  #363   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 07:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/208/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default catching up

It's been almost two years since I saw the bowl muffin info. I dropped down to 192 lbs. because it gave me the freedom to eat like I regularly want, toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, a starch type dish for dinner. The bowl muffin and dreamfield's pasta makes my meal plans complete. I can't thank Nancy enough for taking the time to post this recipe. I'm a "tweaker" enjoying the creativeness of messing with a recipe. This muffin is so basic that tweaking it becomes a hobby. Could you guys list some of the variations you've come up with?

This morning I made a one egg muffin (in a pie plate) with sugar free spice blend syrup and added (1/2 c small curd cottage cheese, sweetened and flavored with sugar free maple syrup) to the middle of the uncooked muffin, nuked it for 3 min. and sprinkled cinnamon over the top. That was a yummy, very large coffee cake. I have a can of carb free whipped cream calling my name in the fridge. So I squirted some on the muffin. Shame on me but boy was it worth it, lol.
  #364   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:42

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 153/148/125 Female 5'2"
BF:38% / 38% / 28%
Progress: 18%

Yesterday, I went to make a snickerdoodle bowl muffin to use for topping on my mostly-rhubarb sauce with some skinny apple slices in it. I forgot to stir the apple pie spice into my bowl muffin, so stopped the MW at 1min & stirred the spice in. I knew it was a mistake as soon as my spoon crashed into all those wonderful little bubbles. Sure enough; the stir took all the lift out of my muffin.
  #365   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbena
I just made a nice one that tasted like a chocolate macaroon

2 T of Almond meal
1 T of Flax meal
1 T of Unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp of baking powder (although I am not convinced it did anything)
1 heaping T of cocoa
Vanilla Davincis and Cream to moisten. Cook for 2 minutes and Voila!

No egg? How did it stick together?
  #366   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

I saw this thread a while back but for some reason I never tried making one. I was browsing the carbalose site though and saw a couple mentioned on their recipe page. I tried the pumpkin spice one last night and it came out pretty good. Wasnt quite sweet enough so next time I think ill add in some extra splenda. Also comes out kind of wet with a whole extra large egg.

This morning I tried making a chocolate one, and I made a double batch since the 1 extra large egg seemed to be too much. I used a little water and heavy creme to thin it out a bit more instead of a second egg. The texture was perfect, just like a real muffin!

I am running low on carbquik so I am going to try some using just the flax, almond and hazelnut flours that I have, since I see others doing the same. I just ordered a 5lb bag of CQ from netrition though, so I should have plenty in a few days, lol.

One thing I do different is I use a mixing bowl and then I put the batter into a 3" ramekin to microwave. Yes it gives me an extra bowl to wash but I do this for 2 reasons. First, most of my cereal bowls arent microwave safe, and second the ramekin results in what actually looks like a real muffin.

I spray the ramekin quickly with non stick spray, and then after 2 min in the microwave I can pop the muffin right out of the ramekin, and as said it actually is in the shape of a muffin .
  #367   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 22:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Here's one I just did, a Faux Corn Muffin.

I made a double batch and poured them into 2 4" ramekins sprayed with canola baking spray.

1/3 cup carb quick
2.5 tbs almond flour
2.5 tbs hazelnut flour
1.5 tbs splenda granuals
1/2 tsp baking powder (figured the small amount of leavining in the carb quick could use some assistance for this)
pinch of salt
1 extra large egg
1/3 cup heavy creme

Microwave both ramkins at once, 2:00 to 2:20 on high (1000 watt oven).

First time it came out perfect, nice texture, moisture, good rise. Second time it came out a little wet but after cutting it and popping in the toaster it was fine!

I will be getting some corn bran to play around with later on the week (just ordered it today) I plan on replacing one tbs of the hazelnut with it. That should really give it a corn flavor and up the fiber content at the same time.
  #368   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 15:04
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

This is a really flexable recipe. I tried a new combination today.

2 tbsp flax meal
2 tbsp carb quick
2 tbsp whey protien (body fortress, tastes 100 times better then designer whey in shakes)
2 tbsp polyD plus
1 tbsp almond meal
2 tbsp cream
1 tbsp almond DaVinci
1 egg
splash of vanilla extract

After microwaving it I topped with cream cheese and some sugar free jelly. I'm looking for ways of adding flax to my diet, plus a way to use the jellies I bought on a shopping binge.

I don't have the exact nutritional counts exactly for this. Too lazy to enter the custom foods I don't have already in fitday. There are under 350 calories, around 5g net carbs after taking out 3-4g fiber, and the ratios on it are like 69% fat, 27% protien, and 4% carbs, so a really good ratio for atkins.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Sat, Jun-30-07 at 15:21.
  #369   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 09:52

Plan: CALP
Stats: 211/195.2/155 Female 5'6"
BF:goals180/165/155
Progress: 28%

I stumbled onto this while looking for a flax recipe. I started with the One Minute muffin and am totally hooked. I can't wait to try some of the variations here!

I don't have bake mix and as of now only have the flax meal, but it sounds like that will do it for starters...

Will the flax really help with constipation? How much flax/day is recommended?
  #370   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 12:38

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Flax is like a sponge it needs lot of drinking water to move things along.
  #371   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 11:49

Plan: CALP
Stats: 211/195.2/155 Female 5'6"
BF:goals180/165/155
Progress: 28%

Thanks... I'll make sure my water consumption is up.

Another question: I don't have carbquick... but I'm using flax meal. What are the benefits of using almond meal or any of the others listed? Taste? Texture? I like the health benefits attributed to flax, but I just read that some people stall when they use it...
  #372   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 12:24

BF:

I don’t use Carbquick I think it has Soya in it. I stay away from Soya. I like adding part almond meal and part coconut flour to my ground flax I find that it make a more pleasurable mouth feel.
You have to try different proportions yourself.
I make coconut flour with a coffee grinder and some unsweetened coconut. I do one cup ground flax and 1/3 cup almond meal and 1/3 coconut flour and 1/3 cup wheat bran.
Sorry, that is for a dozen muffins. Just go with tablespoons, eyeball it.
  #373   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 15:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
I don’t use Carbquick I think it has Soya in it. I stay away from Soya. I like adding part almond meal and part coconut flour to my ground flax I find that it make a more pleasurable mouth feel.
You have to try different proportions yourself.
I make coconut flour with a coffee grinder and some unsweetened coconut. I do one cup ground flax and 1/3 cup almond meal and 1/3 coconut flour and 1/3 cup wheat bran.
Sorry, that is for a dozen muffins. Just go with tablespoons, eyeball it.

Penelope, Carbquik is actually one of the few LC baking mixes that is Soy free (I hate the taste of soy flour also). It's wheat based, that's why it has such a good taste when used as a substitute for wheat flours. It does sometimes have an aftertaste but when you are making flavoured bake goods you dont usually notice it.
  #374   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 16:48

BF:

Thank you I didn't know. I hope it is not too good because I have a great affection for baked goods.
  #375   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 12:14

Plan: Self
Stats: 229/215.5/175 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ok wanted something for my burger when I took out my daughter. Used CQ, goldenflaxseed meal and almond flour. To moisten I used some beer and cream. The beer gave it a yeastie flavor that resmbeled real bread buns. EBP