Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 00:45

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Thankyou for telling me about this thread........."hugs" Gina
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 06:31
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think it's applicable to a lot of people right now.

I hope it helped.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 10:28
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update post.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 18:13
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update post.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:14
Finding the Pieces

BF:

***update

***update***
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 22:02

Plan: NONE
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Zuleikaa,

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you...

Boy, do I feel much calmer after reading your first article... I had never seen this before!

I definately needed this...right now...at this depressing moment!!!

Bless you...

Snow
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 08:21
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I posted this in another thread and thought it would be appropriate here also.

Lack of vitamin D May Cause Stalls

Winter stalls are very common. For a lot of people, the body just refuses to give up weight/fat during winter regardless of calorie or exercise level. In fact I think lowering calories and upping exercise, for these people, during winter just encourages the body to hold on to weight even more tenaciously. To the body, fat stores in winter means survival to spring and the body's primary goal is survival and therefore hoarding fat stores.

Studies have found that many people, and animals of course, naturally start gaining fat stores in fall and releasing them in spring. It's a natural cycle.

In order to achieve adequate fat levels, especially after losing weight which can mean starvation to the body, the body can actually cause/use cravings to have you consume carbohydrates which are then converted to fat stores, i.e., better chances of survival. Further the body will also lower metabolic rate to conserve those same fat cells. These body behaviors can lead to rapid weight/fat gain.

The body is a very primitive machine. It doesn't know or care that you want to lose weight. It just knows you have lost weight, so you must have survived famine, and you are coming into winter. It's just trying to ensure your survival.

Something else to think about:

Perceived Winter: If most of your life is spent in doors out of the sun or you habitually use sunscreen when outside (sunscreen of even SPF8 reduces the ability to generate vitamin D by over 85%) then your body might still consider you in winter and subject to death by starvation and so might still hoard fat stores.

See, adequate vitamin D=adequate sun=winter's over=you survived=the body can safely release fat.

In the obese, a percentage of vitamin D generated or consumed in captured in body fat and so is not bioavailable to the body. Therefore the obese need 2-3 times the vitamin D of a normal weight individual. 83% of obese patients tested were vitamin D deficient, and that was using a deficiency level of <35. When the scale was moved to <50, the percentage of the obese who with readings under that level was 95%.

The latest research concludes that vitamin D levels for good health and protection against cancers should be >75.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.5/178.5/125.0 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
For those on CAD and other Low Carb Plans. Has your weight loss stalled? Have you started to gain a bit even though you're sticking to the same program you had during the summer and exercising the same or even more? Are your carb cravings worse? Are your falls into the carb pit more numberous?

If you're on other lc programs and keep falling into the carb pit every two weeks or so, you might want to consider doing CAD for winter maintenance. For people who suffer from winter weight syndrome, now is not the time to do strict induction, IMHO. I think it will just make the cravings/binging worse.

Good luck!!!

Hey, thanks so much for that post. I have agonized over not losing even 1 lb in the last 3+ months now. I did Atkins and of course during the Thanksgiving/ Christmas time I fell off the wagon more than I did since I started in April. Then in Jan I stuck to under 30 carbs, was always hungry, craved carbs like an addict and went hog wild on 2 weekends. So I started induction this week and I am dying. Not literally, but I feel so hateful and mad all the time, I am incredibly hungry, so incredibly tired and I just feel like throwing in the towel. I did start Vit D w calcuim but I am not sure if I should take more than I am. I am taking 600mg a day right now...I hear people talking about IU, which I saw in the store but did not get. Is there a conversion? I would like to know how much I can/should take. I saw the Vit D experiment but I think it is too late in the year for me to start?

Can you tell me what CAD stands for? How easy would it be to switch to that from Atkins?

Again, thanks so much for your post and support!!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 11:21

Plan: WW
Stats: 265/244/150 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 18%

CAD= Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, a WOL created by Richard and Rachael Heller. www.carbohydrateaddictsdiet.com

I've done it before and recently switched back to it. How easy the switch is depends on if this is for you. Its really not a diet for just anyone. I think you should read the stickies.
I switched because of my addiction struggles I am having. I am trying to get help for myself and this plan has always worked for me before in that regard. Strangely enough, you would think that Atkins would help more with these since its pretty much abstaining from carbs, at least mostly.
I am a yo-yo dieter, and mostly Atkins. I am going to be using CAD to try to break this insane cycle. I am all or nothing, and so I end up doing Atkins for a few weeks, maybe months..then binge and etc...over and over...I am getting nowhere fast with the all or nothing.

Ok..end babble.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 12:01
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortone
I am taking 600mg a day right now...I hear people talking about IU, which I saw in the store but did not get. Is there a conversion? I would like to know how much I can/should take. I saw the Vit D experiment but I think it is too late in the year for me to start?
It's never too late to start vitamin D therapy.

IU is the measure of vitamin D, you probably have calcium (in mg) with a little vitamin D. Read the back panal on your calcium container.

That is not anywhere enough vitamin D.

Read the first page of the vitamin D thread; you can click on my sig. All the information you need is in bold on the first page.

Do read more on the thread and some of the links for more understanding.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.5/178.5/125.0 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks Z,

The supplument is a combo of calcuim plus Vit D. I bought it because being female, older and short I worry about my body getting enough calcuim. I will go back to the Vit D experiment and up my dosage of Vit D

Thanks!!
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 180/166/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Here is some encouragement for this thread: 2 days till we SPRING FORWARD. I'm excited about that because I'll be able to go walking after work, instead of at 6:00 in the semi-darkness before going to work! And of course that means summer is on the way. What more incentive do we need than putting on the old bathing suit?
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 08:54

Plan: NONE
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 1%

12nomore-

What an optimist!!!

I, too, love summer...but a bathing suit??? Perhaps not for awhile!

Have a good day...enjoy your walking...

Snow
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 180/166/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 56%

True, true. Though in southern VA, we were in the 70s today so my DH and I worked in the yard. Got me in a spring/summer mood. I know in the past I wait till May to get geared up for my bathing suit (and I always hate myself and my body )- this year I'm setting reasonable goals (2 lbs a week) so I will be there by the time I take my first dip!
Thanks- I had a great walk too!
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 14:17
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Time for these words again.

I know it helps me every fall.