Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 14:04

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Sounds great, Nancy. Keep recording your successes so that we can reference this thread when we get our sous vide equipment.

Why would you make stock sous vide instead of by conventional methods? You could just put the drumsticks in a pot on the stove, no?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 15:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Why would you make stock sous vide instead of by conventional methods? You could just put the drumsticks in a pot on the stove, no?
Because you lose a lot of flavor out of a pot. It boils and steams away. That's the whole idea behind sous vide, it all stays concentrated in the food. And that's why you have to be very careful about using things like garlic or fish sauce, the flavors are super concentrated. Everything tastes more like what it tastes like! So rather than fish sauce tasting just umami, it actually tasted like fish. I think also keeping things just before a simmer might be helpful.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 18:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have a turkey breast I need to sous vide, to practice for thanksgiving. I think I will use onion/garlic powder, lemon juice (frozen into a cube so I can vacuum pack the bag), some bacon fat and some fresh herbs (rosemary, perhaps sage). Just need to figure out a good cooking temperature... I think 145 is what I saw somewhere. And what I read they had deboned the breast but maybe I'll leave it in for the extra flavor.

I'm also thinking about how to make gravy. In one of the articles I read they made fish stock from sous vide salmon by cooking it at 180-185 and putting a lot of water into the ziploc bag. Then to get the stock, they punch a whole in the bag and let the salmon water drain out. So maybe I could buy some turkey drumsticks and do that and get a nice turkey broth.

Nancy, I just remembered -- have you seen Grant Achatz's Thanksgiving videos on youtube? Take a look if you haven't.

wiki on Grant Achatz

part 1

part 2
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 20:26
Experimenter

BF:

Ah! Thanks for posting that. I think I saw one part and it wasn't making sense. He didn't talk about temperature or time or anything and I was disappointed.

I have my practice turkey breast cooking. I'm thinking at 6 hours it should be good and done. I'm using those tables from A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking. Figuring it's probably 3" thick, so around 75mm, so 4 hours should be plenty to pasteurize it, 6 for some extra insurance.

I stuck some bacon fat, frozen lemon juice, rosemary, S&P and a spice mixture.

I'll report on the taste tomorrow!
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 20:33

BF:

He doesn't talk about time or temp in either part of that; I was disappointed too. However, he does have a whole discussion forum (like this one!) where he and other chefs from Alinea take questions.

Alinea forum
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 09:29
Experimenter

BF:

Ah cool! I will check it out.

Ok, I tasted my turkey right before bedtime and I have to say I was disappointed. First of all, I threw in 3-4 sprigs of rosemary and it was WAY too much! I could actually taste kind of the unpleasant flavor of the volatile oils in the rosemary. Next time perhaps I'll use dried rosemary or use much, much less.

I forgot to do a bunch of things I meant to do like brine the turkey breast and use onion and garlic powder. The breast isn't dry but it's super, super dense and when I reheat it in the microwave it's going to dry out. If I had remembered to brine it I think the texture would've been a lot looser.

I also didn't taste the lemon at all, so the 1-2 Tbl of frozen lemon I had in there wasn't enough.

I didn't get any smokey flavor form the bacon fat I used, but it did taste good. Perhaps I should just go buy that smoking gun!
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 10:08

BF:

Rosemary's pretty strong with any preparation method. I kinda like sage with turkey, even if it is a cliche. What about that marjoram that you're growing for the chicken/marjoram/tomato dish?

In that video it looks like he puts in the garlic cloves unpeeled, or at least whole. Maybe that's a way of doing fresh garlic without it being overpowering.

What was your reasoning behind freezing the lemon juice? Or were you just using what you had?
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 10:59
Experimenter

BF:

If you don't freeze it the vacuum sealer will suck the liquids out. So you can't apply much vacuum on anything with liquid in it. Thus they recommend freezing any liquids you might add.

I thought about the marjoram but couldn't decide if it would taste good with turkey. I think it would though.

I've always used tons of rosemary when cooking turkey, but the flavors escape into the air when you're roasting!

I think at low meat temperatures the garlic isn't going to cook so the taste will be like raw garlic.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 18:44
Experimenter

BF:

Weird! Reheating the turkey really loosened up the texture.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 19:20

BF:

In that video it looked like the meat was falling apart. It seems strange that yours was so dense to begin with. How does chicken come out, texture-wise?
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 21:08
Experimenter

BF:

I haven't tried it yet I threw it in the freezer right after it came out of the bath. But I'll be trying it soon. I also cooked it much hotter (160-165, forget).
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 21:43

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Reading about sous vide has gotten me interested in simpler methods of pre-cooking meat, and they seem to be working well. Tonight we had sausage and spare ribs. I bought them frozen at the farmer's market, thawed them in the package in a sinkful of hot water, then boiled them for about 10 minutes. I seasoned the ribs with salt & pepper. Then a couple minutes on the grill for the sausage, and 10 or 20 minutes on the grill for the ribs. They both came out incredible! Flavorful, tender and juicy.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 23:18
Experimenter

BF:

Ribs usually seem to need some kind of pre-cooking. Usually I either boil them or slow cook them in the oven. They're supposed to do very well sous vide.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 09:49

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Janine was horrified that the sausage was still pink in the middle, but it was the best I've had in quite some time.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 11:12
Experimenter

BF:

That is one thing I think guests might have issues with. For instance, turkey cooked sous vide to 140 is pasteurized and perfectly safe (if you cook it long enough) but it'll be slightly pink.