Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/152/130 Female 5 ft 3inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Words Hurt

I had a very upsetting experience this past weekend which is EXACTLY why I have been a recluse since gaining weight. I have actually felt better about myself for losing 16 lbs so far in my weight loss journey, so I didn't mind that my boyfriend invite a few people over. Well, just so happens we had some friends over Sunday afternoon. An acquaintance of ours was also invited through a friend that was already there. No big deal, the more the merrier right? Not in this case. So yes this acquaintance I hadn't seen since I packed on the pounds and he kept making fat jokes towards me. At one point I was sitting with my sister because we were out of chairs and he said he felt sorry for her because I was going to break her femur. I was so embarrassed! There were several references made about my weight. I tried to ignore it, but he just kept on. Yes, it's not a "friend" of ours that said this and I probably shouldn't care, but it really has bothered be the last couple of days.
I mean it took me so long to start feeling better about myself and then this happened as soon as I gained a tiny bit of confidence. It just sucks! I wish it didn't hurt, but it does. I have always had body image issues all my life, thin or fat, so this really embarrassed me. Time will heal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 14:25

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Don't let it derail you.

Was this guy drinking? Not that it makes it right or hurt any less.

People sometimes say things that are not so nice without thinking, once is easier to over look, but several times is not okay!

Rox
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 176/152/130 Female 5 ft 3inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

It's likely that he had been drinking before he got dropped off at our place. No way will it derail me. I was just disappointed that it happened at all. It knocked my confidence down & for me, it's really hard to build. I came from a family that were fat bashers. It's a shame thing I carry from childhood.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 14:58
Registered Member

Stats: 281/265/199 Female 5.6'
BF:
Progress: 20%

Oh my! What an immature jerk! How dare he come into YOUR home and insult YOU! I would have kicked him out immediately. What is it with people who think they can comment on other people? I can't believe the nerve of some people. Sorry you went through that and I hope you do continue on with your weight loss for your own happiness. I also hope you get some new friends, they should have told that jerk to take a hike
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 15:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

What a JERK!

You should have told him you can fix fat, he can not fix stupid! Did you show him the door and tell him not to let it hit him in the butt as he left?

Consider the source, he is NOT worth worrying about. Do what you know is right for you.

You SHOULD feel good about those 16 lbs.! It is a good accomplishment--don't let him ruin it for you. I KNOW it is hard not to replay situations in your mind and dwell on them, try not to. Do your best to forget it and move forward.

Best wishes on your continued success.

Laura
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 15:12
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

If it were me and he were in my home, I would politely tell him to stop, and if he didn't, I would have to ask him to leave.

Don't let toxic people hurt you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 15:55

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

How come nobody else put this fellow in his place?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 16:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

I think sometimes people just blurt out their thoughts and dont realize how much hurt they cause.

You probably seemed calm on the outside (good for you) and he was too dense to know he wasnt the only one in the situation with feelings.

I had a bad experience myself a couple of days ago. My heart goes out to you.

I truly think this kind of thoughtlessness should be pushed out of our minds and hearts. They own it - not us.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 18:35

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Is it possible that he thought you were just fine at your current weight and was making "light" of your diet plans?

If not... Wow, what a jerk.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 05:11

Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Sounds like a jerk through and through. I don't think you need (or should) be complacent in the face of continued insult. A simple 'stop with the fat jokes, it's insulting' is plenty warning for a cease and desist. If they don't get the clue its time to firmly tell the jerk he's/she's not welcome in your home any more and needs to leave. Now.
Did you talk with your boyfriend about how this guy made you feel? He better be on-board with you on this so that jerk never gets an invite back to your place.