Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 10:19
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default 70 and UP ~ Age-Related Challenges of our WOE

As many of you know, I've been eating LCHF since the first Atkins book came out in 1972. That's a long time and Life is Life, which explains why I'm still at it.

The good news is that I'm not diagnosed T2D, am in good health overall and on only one medication by choice (HRT). I walk at least 2 miles at a fast pace every morning and I do spinal and leg stretches a la yoga. One of my own problems is with my circulation, and just last week I got a mini-trampoline and have added mild rebounding to my health regime.

Even being in good health, however, I find aches and pains and health issues popping up more frequently. I believe this is age related.

So. Here is a place where I would love for those "qualified by maturity" to come to discuss such challenges. I will not be checking IDs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 13:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

You funny!

I put soluble gelatin in my morning tea, and that really helps with my joint issues.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:26

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I put soluble gelatin in my morning tea, and that really helps with my joint issues.
I wish I could remember to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
just last week I got a mini-trampoline and have added mild rebounding to my health regime.
I have one in my living room but don't remember to use that either and I know it is good for the circulation among other things.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:37
Doing My Best

I looked at my health records and found that my circulation problem is even diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. What I've been doing for it is the walking plus heavy mitt massage in the bath of my feet and legs. I also use a powerful electric foot massage machine when I feel the feet kind of....I don't know how to describe it. I just use the machine to bring extra blood to my feet.

I've noticed that since I started gentle bouncing on the mini-tramp, I almost never feel the need for the foot machine. Here's something I've found which actually mitigates my symptoms (which btw are not bad at all, just there) and isn't a supplement or drug.

Yay!

P.S. I was doing actual bouncing, but had to ease off because my back complained.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212.0/212.0/175.0 Female 5ft 5in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

How much do you use? I have at least 2 cups of coffee every morning and could put some in them. My knees have been replaced but my elbows, ankles and fingers need help.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 13:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm going to lurk in this thread. 70 isn't all that far off. ;-)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

I'm 9 yrs from 70...
not many on here in that age category.

I'll lurk.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:21

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Six months til 70. I am working to improve my health. Strict about my eating to prevent T2D. I started walking 1-2 miles a day to improve my breathing and now twice a week with weights to increase my muscle mass.

I have spent most of the last 13 years to fatigued to do much other than sitting on the couch and now have to play catchup. I want to live in an energetic athletic 80 year old body rather than a tired crippled one.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 10:03
Registered Member

Stats: 212.0/212.0/175.0 Female 5ft 5in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Six months til 70. I am working to improve my health. Strict about my eating to prevent T2D. I started walking 1-2 miles a day to improve my breathing and now twice a week with weights to increase my muscle mass.

I have spent most of the last 13 years to fatigued to do much other than sitting on the couch and now have to play catchup. I want to live in an energetic athletic 80 year old body rather than a tired crippled one.

You sound like me...I'm 71, retired and moved to AZ from the frozen N.E. to be with my son, his family and lots of sunshine but have fallen short of the glory. After treating sever back issues that kept me from walking much, I'm now able to walk 1/2 mile with a cane. Chiro. suggested losing some weight, since he's LC and doing well on it, so I'm here. Like you...I want to live in an energetic athletic 80 year old body rather than a crippled one.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 10:21
Doing My Best

I came to this forum in Jan 2015, but have been eating LC since 1972. I was diagnosed pre diabetic in my 20s and I'll be 72 this July.

Obviously, I didn't stay on plan all the time over the years and my A1C was consistently in the upper 5 readings. I was unable to lose weight and my fingers and hands ached from arthritis.

At my latest lab results my A1C read low 5s and I no longer have arthritis pains. I'm also losing weight again. Since last September I've lost over 10 lbs.

Every Body is different, and what worked for me may not work for you. But I'm proof that there is hope, no matter how old we are. There is hope for better, improved health and quality of life.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:25

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Medicare newbie, here.

70 is certainly coming faster than say, 30 seemed to be when I was 25.

Thanks to this WOE, my only medication continues to be Armour thyroid, and I want to keep it that way.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 20:00

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I may lurk here also since 70 is not that far.

I've been doing this since the 9th of May in 2014. I looked it up.

I still have a ways to go. I adapted this mostly to control mood swings and to help my stomach. If I lose the weight too it will be an added bonus.

You are doing amazing keep up the good work
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:06

Plan: ZC Carnivore 100%
Stats: 170/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

71 in a month. Been off/on Atkins for a couple years, back now a week. No health issues requiring meds. Lost a lot of weight my first time with Atkins back in 1973, a breeze in my 20s but weight comes off slowly now. ~~mo
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:40
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mo
71 in a month. Been off/on Atkins for a couple years, back now a week. No health issues requiring meds. Lost a lot of weight my first time with Atkins back in 1973, a breeze in my 20s but weight comes off slowly now. ~~mo
My 71st is also next month. Happy Birthday to US!

My weight doesn't go down any more, but I still haven't given up. From so many years of eating too few calories, my metabolic rate is shot so I'm working on getting something burning in there! Not an easy task I'm afraid.

I've got a small health issue I'm dealing with at the present, but all my lab work is positive, and I'm still walking my 2 miles pre dawn every day. I think once DH's heart gets back in rhythm and my stress level goes down, everything will be okay.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 13:39

Plan: ZC Carnivore 100%
Stats: 170/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
My 71st is also next month. Happy Birthday to US!

My weight doesn't go down any more, but I still haven't given up. From so many years of eating too few calories, my metabolic rate is shot so I'm working on getting something burning in there! Not an easy task I'm afraid.

I've got a small health issue I'm dealing with at the present, but all my lab work is positive, and I'm still walking my 2 miles pre dawn every day. I think once DH's heart gets back in rhythm and my stress level goes down, everything will be okay.

I'm 71 on 5 July -- you? I missed being born on the 4th by minutes, although my mother always disagreed with the doctor who delivered me as to the time. A major Midwestern summer electrical storm ongoing at the time, knocking out all the electricity so I was born by feel, flashlight, & candlelight in the doctor's office, the only hospital in that small town having burnt down a year or so earlier.

I used to walk a lot too before two surgeries on my face for basal cell skin cancer. I'm finally getting used to the idea I'll always be a prey to this problem, so now do a suitable coverup with sunscreen & hats. However, our desert summer started abruptly the day I returned to Atkins, going from the low 90s to 100-104 overnight, cooling off to about 80 by 3 a.m. So I'm not yet back to my walking daily. I too used to do 2-3 miles daily. As soon as I'm adjusted weatherwise & begin again to arise predawn, I hope to get back to walking in the cool early morning hours before the sun wakes up.

I started walking years ago as a way to reduce stress. I have normal BP, for example, until I walk into my local medical center or doctor's office. I'm not even aware of feeling stress most of the time. But I always feel better after I walk, even if it's just a short walk of a few blocks.

I checked out your blog & website of your family's musical career. I too am a writer. Years ago I used to listen to gospel music but stopped when so much of gospel music turned to shouting & dancing. The old-time family gospel singers were my favorites singing of course the old-time gospel classics. I only wish your family's gospel music was available on CDs for purchase -- I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. Meanwhile, I'll plug in & listen at the website. If anyone's interested in any of this, see bluesinger's User CP.