Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/194/160
BF:
Progress: 48%
Cool The big 27 hour cheat (ok. binge) experiment!!

I was planning it, I just wanted to see what would happen if I ate what I wanted for a day and a half. I was going on a small trip w/ my husband and decided to have some "fun" and eat what ever I want. I've lost half the weight I need to, I deserve it, right?! What did I eat....lets see.... I started out at taco bell for lunch, the Fig Newtons for a snack, dinner was a big club sandwich and fries and a big ice-cream thing for dessert. Breakfast the next morning was granola and bagels and probably more than a QUART of orange juice (OOOOH how I miss Orange juice!!!!!), and lunch was egg rolls, crab rangoon, low mein, and a huge frozen custard sunday! (Is that all? LOL)

I was hoping to get sick. Really. So I wouldn't have the urge to to it again. Well, I really really enjoyed the food! Especially the tosted bagels and orange juice. I didn't get sick really, just "stuffy". Stuffy in my sinuses, and stuffy in my brain. I felt so slow and sluggish and I ended up falling asleep in the car (DH was driving). I got a headache. It was like I was drunk or something.

But the worst part was being at a resort with my DH (WITHOUT our 3 small children!) and just wanted to lay down and sleep. I had no urge to.....to.......YOU KNOW..... Spend some "quality time" with him. Sad. So sad!

Oh, and the most embarrasing thing, when I got home, I got gas, very foul-smelling gas. YUCK! I had to keep going from room to room just to get away from it! My 3yo even said "Wats dat stinky smell, mama?" I said "your father".

So, in the end of this great experiment I conclude that I "deserved" to stay low carb so I could feel good and enjoy myself. I don't think I'd do it again. Sure, the food was good, but I felt so "stoned" and stuffy that I didn't really enjoy the other things about the trip.

I wonder how much weight I gained? I'm going to weigh in a few days. I'm actually happy to get back to my low carbing. But I'm glad I did the experiment, now I know better the next time I feel like going on a binge!

Nelllie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 23:39

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Unhappy i know how you feel

I know just how you feel - I've been off the plan for a couple of days - EASTER! and I feel sluggish and have an awful taste in my mouth as well - it's not worth it. Back to the plan and back to feeling good. Too bad about that quality time you missed - maybe you can make up for it - get those kids babbysat!

Wendye
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 05:28

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs down Thank You Nellie

You did us all a great service by sharing that experiment.

I must say I am tempted from time to time but resist as long as I can and to curtail my cheating after one lapse. That is a great reminder of what I would be letting myself in for. I DO NOT WANT to go through that - what a total waste of what could have been a wonnnnnnnderful trip away.

Thanks and take care.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Nellie,
Hi, I like your name, it's a pretty name
Good one for blaming your DH for that stinky smell, LOL
Thank u for posting your experience. If u don't mind my saying, u've lost 31 lbs on LCing, pls don't blow it, I'm sure that u'll reach your goal pretty soon if u stick to LCing
I really enjoyed your story, thanks for the giggle & all.
Bebe
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 09:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks all!

I went back on the plan asap, I have done too well to stop now! (I have actually lost 40 pounds, but I lost the first 10 just by cutting out sugar, not totally LC'ing. )
I ate Easter lunch at my MIL's yesterday, I shoulda asked what they were having first. They had high carb everything, encluding the meat, which was shreadded and mixed in BBQ sauce and honey. Oh! was it tooooo sweet! I had one small piece of a raw carrot, celery, green beans and a bit of that BBQ beef. Wasn't too bad, except I only had time for a cheese stick for breakfast, and didn't get anything else to eat untill 8 pm. Boy! was I hungry! My stomach was growlin all through evening service at church! But even then, I didn't feel too bad, I was hungry, but not DESPERATE for food back when I wasn't on the LC diet. I wasn't shaky or crabby. Just hungry. I almost enjoy that feeling now!

Nellie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:00

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Back on track

Well Done. That is the best way to handle a mistake. Correct it as soon as possible without wasting any time in guilt, self-pity, recrimination etc.

It is a good feeling to get hungry - you don't get it so often on an LC diet .
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:06

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Did you gain?

You said you would weigh yourself in a few days afterward...well?
Did you gain? I would think that any real weight you gained would have been water bloat from the carbs/not reallly enough time "cheating" to gain lbs...and then you've lost the water bloat since then?

N
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default Didn't gain

I didn't gain any weight. Which is good. I tell ya what I did gain though: Cravings! It seems since last weekend it has been easier to cheat. I cook carby food for the rest of my family, and I have been breaking my "no taste" rule left and right. I need to buckle down and get with it!

Janelle
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 15:29

BF:
Default cravings

Good luck Janelle - those cravings seem to hang around for a while - well they did with me - it's 'cold turkey' I'm afraid (induction for a couple of days or so) and lots of water! and you'll be losoig again really soon

Best wishes
Wendye
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 10:15

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post 27 hour binge...

It made my stomach hurt just reading the post...

...about the things you ate. It brought mack memories for me...not of those foods tasting good, but rather of gas, gas, and more gas. And feeling bloated and tired.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 06:20

Stats: 125/119/108 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Thanks for sharing your experience!!

Reading this really helped me *think through* any carby foods I have been craving.

I think every time I get an urge to cheat, I will read your thread. It is not only how the carbs prevented you from enjoying your trip, but the painful *emotionally* cravings through the week and how hard it is to stop once you have started.

I hope you get back on track soon!

Laura
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:37
Registered Member

Stats: 254/247/135
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default it's true!

wow!! it's shocking isn't it...I've felt everything you said! Sometimes, it's so surreal..you think you are imagining all the lethargic feelings, I had a chinese delivery the other day (big vodka and diet coke hangover) and I swear, whether it was the msg, the carbs (for sure) I wondered how I went through life feeling that crappy before!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 13:06

Stats: 222/210/130
BF:dont know
Progress: 13%
Default pong

been there, really smelly. Much more than i remember ever having been
izzy
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:49

Stats: 245/208/185
BF:
Progress: 62%

i just got back from a three day wedding trip and could not resist all of the tempting food..... not to mention the vodka cranberry's. i completely lost all control and had similar feelings after my mini binge. headache, bad mood, stomach ache and very bloated. I went back on induction yesterday, but am terrified to see what that binge did on the scale. oh well.... at least i am right back into the low carb way of life.
cindy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:59

BF:
Default Good on ya

Hi,

Glad you're straight back on the plan - well done. Don't beaet yourself up - it happens. But like riding a bike - just get back on.

Wait a day or two before weighing - you might be pleasantlly surprised.