Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:59

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up Zone and Schwarzbein

I followed the Zone for years, and credit it for helping me to eat more protein. I saw great results, as did my husband. We were both in tip-top shape when we were following the Zone.
Now, two pregnancies later, I'm back on the road to health and fitness. In my quest I found another book I love, The Schwarzbein Principle II, The Transition. Anyone else read this?
The two plans really complement eachother. They both stress the importance of eating an appropriate balance of protein, fats, and carbs. Schwarzbein allows a little more fat in the diet than Zone. The other difference is Schwarzbein is more natural based, stressing the importance of getting rid of toxins in your diet; caffeine, alcohol, artificial sweetners, etc. She also really recommends eating whole, real foods as much as possible and avoiding protein bars and shakes. Packaged foods contain lots of chemicals and hidden fats and sugars. Doing your own cooking is much better for you, though it is more work.
Schwarzbein recommends an exercise plan of 2-3 strength workouts per week, 2 cardios per week, and as much yoga/pilates/stretching/flexibilty as you can.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has read her book.
Also, I read the original Zone from years ago, and haven't read the newest versions.
Carole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 10:24

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

Hi Carole,
I was just wondering the same thing about the differences between Schwarzbein and the Zone .I love to read and have both books. and the New Schwarzbein book on order.

I did atkins for 5 weeks but found I need more fruit and veggies and I can really be happy with 3-4 ozs of protein at a meal. I felt like the only thing I noticed about the zone is that there is no way I am gonna keep that fat that low.........tsp of olive oil if I remember right. But I just spent a few minutes at the Zone site reading about that and I guess it is because it takes more effort for our bodies to metabolize the extra fat so it contributes to stress on the cells . It doesn't raise insulin levels which of course is my biggest problem.

The only thing I miss is wraps and so I am going to look for some healthier versions at the health food store and just make sure to add a bit more veggies and maybe a bit more protein......Does that sound right to you?

I think I am kinda on the fence right now trying to decide between schwarzbein and the Zone and they seem so similar.
I am getting a headache just reading all the different opinions but I really want to get feeling well again.

I can't tell by eating what is going to do that becasue I get "sick" no matter which way I eat. This morning I had 3 eggs scrambled in a tad of butter and 1/2 apple and I still felt icky. Course I am sick today so I am not sure that is a good test

Well just woke up from a nap and gotta get a bite to eat. The nice thing that is happening since I have been forcing myself to eat is that I am regaining a daytime appetite. I haven't had one for years.

Debbie