Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 09:23

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Soybean oil causes genetic changes in the brain

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 10:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

wow.

I have attributed my sons dramatic improvement in behavior and attitude to his supplements, like magnesium. But perhaps, dumping all the "vegetable oils" last summer should receive the credit. We do a lot of homecooking, not fast food, not take out, and buy from the perimeter. When I decided to drop the veg oils, the fat/ oil choices based on beef fat, oilive oil, grapeseed oil, butter increased.

Perhaps that is why, now MANY months later even my husband noticed how much happier our son is. He laughs . He jokes. He smiles. I get hugs now and we joke a little bit. Huge changes for him.

Does make me concerned about how the fats of livestock fed a conventional corn /soybean diet may also have a negative effect...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 11:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting study, thanks for the link. Yes, it's a mouse study, which proves nothing on the human side other than being a sign that human studies must be conducted.

Quote:
The same UCR research team found in 2015 that soybean oil induces obesity, diabetes, insulin resistance, and fatty liver in mice. Then in a 2017 study, the same group learned that if soybean oil is engineered to be low in linoleic acid, it induces less obesity and insulin resistance.

This is something everyone should be aware of, and the idea that we can further "engineer" a healthier oil is a statement that should catch the attention of everyone pursuing a healthy lifestyle through diet.

Quote:
"The dogma is that saturated fat is bad and unsaturated fat is good. Soybean oil is a polyunsaturated fat, but the idea that it's good for you is just not proven," Sladek said.

Indeed, coconut oil, which contains saturated fats, produced very few changes in the hypothalamic genes."

Useful to develop a hypothesis about which fats may be healthy or unhealthy for humans to be confirmed with further testing. Any "engineered" fat is a suspect for me.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 04:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Before my rosacea resolved, the inflammatory effect of commercial mayo and dressings (loaded with soy oil) would be felt and seen in my flaming cheeks.

Primal kitchen mayo is pricey, but so it making my own with good oil. The difference is there; perhaps only for those who are sensitive to it, but this study does suggest concern.

Soy oil started as industrial lubricant; not food.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 08:34

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I read that all 'vegetable oils' are inflammatory; soybean, corn, canola, etc.

Olive oil is very healthy

We use olive oil, 100% grass-fed butter, and bacon drippings

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 09:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I read that all 'vegetable oils' are inflammatory; soybean, corn, canola, etc.
Olive oil is very healthy

We use olive oil, 100% grass-fed butter, and bacon drippings

Bob

Olives and avocados are fruits. It seems that the oils that I consider healthy are fruit oils, not vegetable oils.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Olives and avocados are fruits. It seems that the oils that I consider healthy are fruit oils, not vegetable oils.

For that matter, I eat fruits with some abandon: avocadoes, tomatoes (in the form of sauce,) cucumbers, berries, cherries. Far more than I use vegetables in any form.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 22:30

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Chapter 8 of Catherine Shanahan's book Deep Nutrition, aptly titled Brain Killer, focuses on vegetable oils / aka bad fat. I'm convinced it's worse than sugar or processed grains. Definitely a wake up call for me. She's convinced it's linked to brain disorders; alzheimer's, demential, autism...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-20, 08:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

I agree, but not all fruits.

Technically, corn is a fruit: the sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.

Corn is even full of fructose: a hexose sugar found especially in honey and fruit.

Botanical divisions are not as clear cut as our human classification system.

Let me add to the most inflammatory oil list: cottonseed.

When buying roasted mixed nuts, if roasted in anything but peanut oil, I look for another brand.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-20, 11:17

BF:

For that matter, I think we eat only a few "true" nuts: filbert, chestnut, pecan, and hazelnut.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 01:13

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Chapter 8 of Catherine Shanahan's book Deep Nutrition, aptly titled Brain Killer, focuses on vegetable oils / aka bad fat. I'm convinced it's worse than sugar or processed grains. Definitely a wake up call for me. She's convinced it's linked to brain disorders; alzheimer's, demential, autism...
from chapter 8 Brain Killer

#12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 09:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I've always considered mayonnaise to be one of the "perks" of LC eating. However...soybean oil. Almost all of it, including those that claim "made with olive oil" or some other more healthy alternative.

Joy! I recently discovered an addition to Costco stock:

Sir Kensington's Avocado Oil Mayonnaise. Not "made with." No suspicious ingredients that I could see on the label.

It tastes good right out of the jar, and I use it for everything else: sauces, deviled eggs, tuna salad, etc.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 09:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
For that matter, I think we eat only a few "true" nuts: filbert, chestnut, pecan, and hazelnut.

Actually Filberts (hazelnut), Acorns, and Chestnuts are nuts, but the Pecan is the seed of a drupe fruit.

I have seen pecans classified as a nut but the vast majority of sources call it a drupe because of the small but fleshy fruit surrounding it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan
"A pecan, like the fruit of all other members of the hickory genus, is not truly a nut, but is technically a drupe, a fruit with a single stone or pit, surrounded by a husk."

But for culinary classification Drupes and even Peanuts are considered nuts due to their fiber and nutritional content.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 12:25

BF:

Okay, I was thinking pecans in the shell and it made sense to me.

Quote:
Sir Kensington's Avocado Oil Mayonnaise

I'm in love with Primal Kitchen, and it comes in three flavors.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 15:39

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
from chapter 8 Brain Killer

I see grape seed oil is on the bad list. I think that's because it has high omega 6 content like other industrial seed oils. At first I thought it would be good for making home mayo until I realized this, so we make it from avocado oil now. Does Costco still sell Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo? If so it's also a good one.