Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 03:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Sugar gets the red light from consumers in new study

Sugar gets the red light from consumers in new study

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...00228102257.htm

Quote:
Researchers have found that sugar content is the most important factor for people when making healthy food choices -- overriding fat and salt.

A team from the University of Nottingham's Division of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics carried out a choice-based survey with 858 participants using the traffic light labelling system (TLL) to select healthy foods. The results showed that when deciding on the healthiness of items sugar was significantly the most important macronutrient for participants.

Dietician and PhD researcher Ola Anabtawi led the research published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, she explains: "When using the TLL consumers often have to make trade-offs between undesirable attributes and decide which to use to guide them in making a choice. We wanted to find out whether it was fat, saturated fat, sugar or salt they most wanted to avoid and see whether the traffic light labelling was influencing this decision."

Traffic light labelling was introduced to aid the selection of healthier choices with a simple red, amber green colour coding system. Supermarkets and food manufacturers use this on packaging to highlight nutritional information.

Participants in the study were shown three options of the same food item with different nutrition traffic light label combinations, this was repeated for three products- prepacked sandwiches, breakfast cereals and biscuits. They were asked to select which they thought was the healthiest product.

Foods with a high sugar content were by far perceived to be the worst for health with participants avoiding these products, with excess fat, saturated fat and salt being less off-putting. Products flagged with a red label were also avoided much more and had a more significant impact on making a healthy choice than the green label.

Ola continues: "Despite the lack of knowledge about the recommendations underpinning the TLL criteria participants' decisions about the healthiness of food products were significantly influenced by TLL information on the items' sugar content. TLL do, therefore, appear to be guide consumers beliefs in the absence of deep knowledge.

The dominance of sugar in decision-making shows the labelling system is having an impact in the current public health climate. However, it is important to consider the effect of disregarding other nutrients (i.e. fat and salt) for people with different nutritional needs. We suggest raising awareness of all nutrients to help the public achieve the well- balanced diet."

Journal Reference:
O. Anabtawi, J. A. Swift, S. Hemmings, L. Gertson, C. Raaff. Perceived healthiness of food items and the traffic light front of pack nutrition labelling: choice‐based conjoint analysis and cross‐sectional survey. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 2020; DOI: 10.1111/jhn.12741

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 05:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Finally! Fat and salt are actually our friends.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 06:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Finally! Fat and salt are actually our friends.

True - but it seems that only the general public has figured out when it comes to the traffic light system, high sugar content is the one to avoid:

Quote:
The dominance of sugar in decision-making shows the labelling system is having an impact in the current public health climate. However, it is important to consider the effect of disregarding other nutrients (i.e. fat and salt) for people with different nutritional needs. We suggest raising awareness of all nutrients to help the public achieve the well- balanced diet."
TPTB (The Powers That Be) which came up with the traffic light system still have fat and salt targeted as being just as troublesome as sugar, if not more troublesome, otherwise this would not likely have been a news story deemed worth reporting.

Now if the traffic light system had a green light for high fat content, and red for high sugar AND overall high carb content, we might be getting somewhere.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 06:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Now if the traffic light system had a green light for high fat content, and red for high sugar AND overall high carb content, we might be getting somewhere.

Now, Calianna, careers are at stake here! Let's not lose our focus on what is really important!

As a society, we have not yet evolved a mechanism that will let people be wrong. And look at all the mayhem that comes from that.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 08:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Now, Calianna, careers are at stake here! Let's not lose our focus on what is really important!

As a society, we have not yet evolved a mechanism that will let people be wrong. And look at all the mayhem that comes from that.

Yes, that's all too true. If the change to LC as the officially recommended diet happens too quickly, it affects far more than merely the careers and income of those who have spent decades pushing low fat/high carb propaganda, and factory farm operations.

It would negatively affect many, many people very far down the line, from the millions of baked goods/cereal/snack foods factory line workers who will no longer be needed to produce those goods, to the person making barely more than minimum wage stocking shelves at the local grocery store (because the fact of the matter is that if everyone switched to LC tomorrow, customers would not need nearly as much food, so not nearly as much would be sold, and therefore not nearly as many shelves to stock, and not nearly as many workers needed), to the construction workers who would no longer be needed to build or remodel ever larger grocery stores to accommodate the ever increasing number of grain based products on the shelves, to the small family farming operation which is already being squeezed to the limit by the yearly expenses involved in farming, on top of their investment in the extremely expensive, specialized equipment needed to plant and harvest grains) - switching to all the completely different equipment and supplies needed for livestock based production would be an an insurmountable drain on their finances, and result in many more farmers going bankrupt. Bananas, which are the most popular fruit sold in this country would drop off to almost nothing - which would negatively affect the banana production workers in other countries.

In addition to that, if there was a sudden massive increase in the amount of LC friendly foods required to feed a nearly overnight massive surge in LCers, supply and demand would increase the price of LC friendly foods to completely un-affordable levels for most people.

It's certainly not good for those who will continue to eat LF/HC through all the years/decades of little increments that it takes to implement a complete change towards LC, but the longer it takes, the more it will minimize the financial effects and food shortages for the general population. I just need to remember that any cut in the consumption of carbs is a good thing, even if it's only cutting out excess sugars for the time being.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 10:52

BF:

Quote:
I just need to remember that any cut in the consumption of carbs is a good thing, even if it's only cutting out excess sugars for the time being.

An excellent point, when you consider the tiny amount of people who make tons of money from processed, much of it subsidized by OUR taxes.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 02:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Shoppers more concerned biscuits and sandwiches are higher in sugar than salt & fat

Quote:
Shoppers are more concerned about biscuits and sandwiches being high in sugar than salt or fat, scientists find

• University of Nottingham conducted a survey of 858 shoppers using food labels
  • Respondents were most put off by biscuits and sandwiches high in sugar
  • Too much sugar can lead to weight gain, tooth decay or diabetes
  • Team said coloured food labels are effective for showing nutritional information

Consumers are more concerned about sugar in food than salt or fat, research shows.

A survey of 858 people by University of Nottingham showed shoppers were most put off by biscuits and sandwiches which were high in sugar.

They were deemed the most unhealthy option, suggesting health officials warnings about sugar are beginning to influence change.

Too much sugar can lead to weight gain, tooth decay or diabetes. It also has links to cancer because obesity is a leading risk factor for the disease.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-unhealthy.html
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 05:22

BF:

This is a very good thing that people are finally realizing just how bad all that sugar is for you, but I have to wonder what kind of sandwiches are high in sugar?

Quote:
Respondents were most put off by biscuits and sandwiches high in sugar

I suppose there's always the plant-based choice, peanut butter and jelly - that's going to be high in sugar, because of the sugary jelly, although most peanut butters are also sweetened, so that adds to the sugar total.

If it's on whole grain bread, it'll be even higher in sugar, because whole grain breads are always sweetened more than white breads, in order to cover up the rancidity of the oils in the germ, and the bitterness of the bran. Might as well call it a giant cookie/biscuit.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 06:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
... but I have to wonder what kind of sandwiches are high in sugar?

Condiments on meat, fish, cheese and/or egg-based sandwiches are often loaded with sugar
Think sweet pickles and relish, ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, chutneys and the like .
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 08:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Condiments on meat, fish, cheese and/or egg-based sandwiches are often loaded with sugar
Think sweet pickles and relish, ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, chutneys and the like .

Ah - all those things I've never liked. I've never been able to gag them down, because I've always hated sweet stuff on savory foods, and never understood how anyone could possibly like glazed ham, or sweet BBQ sauce on meats, which is why those things didn't occur to me. I should have remembered it though, since those sort of ingredients are the reason I never liked commercially made egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. Even a lot of deli meats are awfully sweet - honey ham, sweet bologna, BBQ chicken, etc.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 08:38

BF:

I've found that abstaining from sugar lets me taste the sweet far more; and then, to more sugar avoidance.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 11:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is a good start, however, considering the hair splitter I've become regarding eating lifestyle, I want to know what type of fat we have for ingredients. Certain fats, primarily omega 6 highly processed oils are a concern for me. Small but important steps regarding sugar. I'll still scrutinize the labels rather than worry about running a red light. Dangerous traffic looms.