Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#271   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-19, 11:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The classic post by Dr. Eades, of Protein Power, on fiber:

Quote:
Before we get to the fiber, let’s engage in a sort of thought experiment. Let’s assume that way back in the early days of medicine doctors always wanted to see us cough up mucus from our lungs. Since mucus is a kind of breeding ground for all kinds of nasty bacteria, it would make sense in the olden, pre-antibiotic days to want patients to hack up as much of this stuff as possible to get it out of the body where the bacteria could no longer wreak their havoc.

It’s a fine post where he starts with a useful metaphor and covers what we know, and what we refuse to know.

Quote:
All manner of ‘experts’ from our doctors to our grandparents encourage us to consume plenty of fiber. If we can’t get enough from the foods we eat to achieve regularity, we are encouraged to buy supplements. Everyone is on the regularity bandwagon and, by extension, the fiber bandwagon. The much despised Jane Brody has written countless times on the virtues of fiber, WebMD encourages us to get our share, even C. Everett Coop exhorts us to keep the fiber coming. And, despite numerous studies showing that fiber doesn’t really do squat for us health-wise, everyone continues to recommend it.

To paraphrase John Huston: Evidence? We ain’t got no evidence. We don’t need no evidence. We don’t have to show you no stinking evidence.

For lots more information about the fallacy of fiber, consult Gutsense.org

In addition, fiber is probably essential in a grain heavy diet because we all know what flour and water makes: paste.

Cement.
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 12:24

Plan: Carnivore 95%
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
For lots more information about the fallacy of fiber, consult Gutsense.org.

This is fabulous to have a confirmation of what I felt! It is not easy to go upstream, so now I am happy to have this website to back my ways of eating...

And now I can have hens again in my garden, as I dont mind if they eat the veggies!

Thanks for this gem!
  #273   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 11:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/...eto-hacking-md/

Jimmy Moore's trying a 28 day keto carnivore experiment. Seems to be working so far. He points out that maybe cancelling his subscription to the keto cookie of the month club is why it's working for him. (My words, but I think a fair paraphrase). Which is the sort of thing he only seems to say when he doesn't have protein cookies, chips, etc. on this breath. I say this in full hypocrisy, I eat keto pancakes and ice cream just about daily--but these work more in maintenance for me, and clearly my issues aren't exactly the same as Jimmy's.

One more example of more or less the same thing working, once again, for Jimmy. He went so far as to say that he might try this for a full year. Hopefully if he does, he won't do what he did with nutritional ketosis--eat a certain way for a full year, measure everything, and then declare that what was working for him--for a full year--has stopped working, when he's actually changed a bunch of things.
  #274   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 12:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

For lots more information about the fallacy of fiber, consult Gutsense.org

In addition, fiber is probably essential in a grain heavy diet because we all know what flour and water makes: paste.

Cement.

I bought the book and it is so full of great information. So happy to read confirmation of what I've had to learn the hard way. At one point he says that Bran is like sandpaper to the Colon. I told this to a GI doctor and he just looked at me with no response. That was right after he told me to eat fiber and said oatmeal or cream of wheat are good but if I didn't want to eat that I could just eat oatmeal cookies because that's what he does
  #275   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 16:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Jimmy Moore's trying a 28 day keto carnivore experiment. Seems to be working so far. He points out that maybe cancelling his subscription to the keto cookie of the month club is why it's working for him. (My words, but I think a fair paraphrase).

He should probably get some therapy. The physical part is fixed with low carb, but the emotional part is still not addressed. I should know: I had an eating disorder.
  #276   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 16:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I bought the book and it is so full of great information. So happy to read confirmation of what I've had to learn the hard way.

We live in an age of gifted amateurs and dogmatic experts.

Everything the Gutsense man researched was out there already! Just ignored!
  #277   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 06:25

BF:
Progress:

I have found a few.... let's not say mistake as this is too strong, but slightly unacurate ways of saying, in "gutsense", as I have read it all since the other day! I also do not like some fillers in some product, and the fact that he thought about removing iron - to self customize - and did not do the same for vitamin A, that we can be in excess pretty easily as we age. Also his B12 is the cyano form...

And as everybody most of the time, he is very specialized. So there is one thing missing: fixing the lymphatic system.

Also, about the emotional part, actually before the emotional part there is the autonomic nerves part.

Both the lymphatic system and the autonomic nervous system - ANS - are very developed in the gut.

For the lymphatic system, look at ayurveda. For the ANS do not look for normal therapy but somatic therapies, as these are the only ones that can help when the physiological defense system has been triggered. So you have "organic intelligence", "somatic practise", "somatic experiencing", "Hannah somatics". Most are talk + touch, and if the person is a body worker and use biodynamic cranio-sacral, even better! Feldenkrais also is good with pains and regulates the ANS.
  #278   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 06:38

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I bought the book and it is so full of great information. So happy to read confirmation of what I've had to learn the hard way. At one point he says that Bran is like sandpaper to the Colon. I told this to a GI doctor and he just looked at me with no response. That was right after he told me to eat fiber and said oatmeal or cream of wheat are good but if I didn't want to eat that I could just eat oatmeal cookies because that's what he does

I liked your quote about it above. In another place maybe, he says that fermenting fibers does not make only butyrate! It also makes alcohol and something else I do not remember. He also says that the result of these is killing some of the bacterias, so in the end it is not helping to ferment fibers.

Well, we are not ruminants.... Fermenting is an option for starvation times, but should not be the rule. People started to eat less animal food because of over-population! It is obvious in India for example, and also in all the places where meet is called "food of the rich", meaning that you do not eat meat just because you cannot.

The best way to make people respect a good rule is to put it in the religious rules, as they did in Budhism. But same problem as what muslims did for pork, it is written in stone. In Polynesia where people lived in small islands, they were looking at their population much better! They would indeed decide a fish to be taboo - a polynesian word by the way - and then would say that the spirits said it was no more taboo. The priests would decide this based on the quantity of fish.
Many fish should be declared taboo nowadays for some years! Actually the spirit of the a species is indeed sending a visible sign when they start to be in less numbers, and we pretend we do not hear spirits, the essence of life!

Maybe he should also add the studies about gorillas' guts. Some people use our ape relatives to convince us about eating fruits and leaves mainly. Chimps also eat meat but gorillas seem not to. Anyway, just look at the % between chest and belly.... who wants their belly? Actually the length of their guts is not the same as us humans. And when they eat a lot, they are known to spit part of the fiber.... People who juice are using this argument to convince people that juicing is better than eating all the fiber.

About the gut using proteins the same way as fibers, yes I have read this before, and they said that meat also has its own "fiber": all the gelatinous parts full of glycine...

And in cancer research, it has been said that it is useless to try to starve cancer cells by going zero carbs because those cells are also able to ferment glycine from the proteins.... We cannot say that simple form of life are stupid, because they know very well how to adapt!
  #279   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 06:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canari
For the ANS do not look for normal therapy but somatic therapies, as these are the only ones that can help when the physiological defense system has been triggered. So you have "organic intelligence", "somatic practise", "somatic experiencing", "Hannah somatics". Most are talk + touch, and if the person is a body worker and use biodynamic cranio-sacral, even better! Feldenkrais also is good with pains and regulates the ANS.

I need a Zero Balncing appointment. That does wonders for me.

And you make very good points. There is no ONE answer, since bodies vary as much as the environments they have adapted to. N = 1 is how we have to do it.
  #280   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 09:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

I say this in full hypocrisy, I eat keto pancakes and ice cream just about daily--

Are you eating a specific brand (low carb?) ice cream or homemade?
  #281   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 09:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Just heavy cream whipped with some sugar-free flavouring. Sometimes I'll add an egg yolk, it won't get as fluffy, but makes it harder to end up overwhipping and ending up in butter territory. Usually something like mio or sugar-free koolaid drops, but sometimes some instant coffee or cocoa powder with splenda. I bought some licorice (anise) flavouring at Walmart once when it was on sale for a dollar, that was really good. I would have emptied the shelves if I'd known they were going to stop selling the stuff at any price once they ran out.
  #282   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 03:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oh no, Jimmy now doing carnivore? I’d prefer the spokesperson for a ZC lifestyle be Shawn Baker and Amber OHearn, not his sad case. If it is "working for him" it is because he is not lying about how many carbs he eats. An Egg Fast worked for him too...whenever he truly keeps carbs below 20g he loses weight. A one type of protein diet serves to overcome his delusion he can eat watermelon and beignets and claim he's on a Ketogenic diet. It's not the magic of meat.

And some meat history...from Dr Fung's The Diabetes Code

Quote:
In 1797, the Scottish military surgeon John Rollo became the first physician to formulate a treatment that carried any reasonable expectation of success. He had observed substantial improvement in a diabetic patient eating in all -meat diet. Given the uniformly grim prognosis of diabetes this approach was a breakthrough. This extremely low carbohydrate diet was the first diabetic treatment of its kind.

I was re-reading a few sections of books on the early history of fasting for diabetes treatment, when the Carnivore Diet was also a treatment. Missed that the first read, but now that ZC is the rage, it stands out as an option to fasting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-30-19 at 04:02.
  #283   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 07:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Oh no, Jimmy now doing carnivore?

That was my reaction.

I'm getting ready to make steak and eggs. I'm doing less than ten carbs a day. Fiber is so elusive on this kind of diet net works out almost the same.

Which is okay with me. My tum is very fiber sensitive, to the point that flax crackers and the like cause me trouble.
  #284   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 07:31

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have drifted into less than 10 gms of total carbs per day almost by accident. I ran out of vegetables and because the sidewalks were icy and the air was cold I didn't want to walk to my food coop so I decided to just go with what I had, ground beef and sunflower seeds. I almost immediately noticed a drop in appetite, something that has been rather elusive for me. I have decided to stick with this very low carb almost carnivore diet for the foreseeable future just to see how it goes. I listened to the dietdoctor podcast with Amber O'Hearn which helped convince me to stick with it.
  #285   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 07:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I almost immediately noticed a drop in appetite, something that has been rather elusive for me.

This is an incredible element that should be better known!

From decades of cat rescue, I noticed that cats ate less of their canned food than their dry food, and I decided it was because the canned food had more nutrition. The cats' "hungry switch" turned off faster. Which made great sense for an obligate carnivore.

I think it might be the same way with many people

I have noticed that my body responds to carbs with Tanker Car of Insulin. Lowering carbs worked: now I am discovering that greatly lowering carbs works greatly.
Closed Thread