Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 11:22

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I believe erythritol is classified as a sugar alcohol, but it has a glycemic index of zero and doesn't cause intestinal distress (at least that's what I've read). I have no problems with it. But still, they are either 'road food' or 'emergency food' for me. I don't rely on them as a mainstay of nutrition.
I have no intestinal issues with erythritol either as I do with every other sugar alcohol (save me from maltitol and xylitol!). And yes they are good road food. I stocked up on a bunch of them for my annual road trip from Florida to New Brunswick, Canada. I buy them at my local GNC where they always seem to be on a "buy 2 get the 3rd one free" sale and then get a little discount off that with the GNC gold card, so keeps them a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 21:43

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

So, I've only tried one flavor (Cinnamon Roll) so far, but I personally am impressed. I have seen many people diss the Quest bars for whatever reason, but the ingredients list from my point of view is as clean as it gets. I work in the natural foods industry, so I am very familiar with what is out there between regular bars and low carb bars - these, other than perhaps the new Paleo Bars by Julian's Bakery - are pretty top of the line. This particular flavor was pretty good, and even my super picky other half ate most of one (he is nowhere near "low carb" lol).

I will be trying more flavors in the future (I see some have sucralose, so I might avoid those, but I am hoping that some of the more interesting flavors are sucralose free) since I can special order them from my work and get a case discount (10%) off a box along with my 20% employee discount. I also plan on pushing to bring them in as a regular item - which could also mean they'd sometimes go on sale too on top of my other discounts

I do not plan on making something like this a daily food item, but if I was going on a trip and really wanted some portable food I will definitely bring these along with some of my other favorite road items (Xyla's sour watermelon candies, Vermont Smoke and Cure's Cracked Peppercorn Beef Sticks, tamari almonds, spicy pumpkin seeds). It's also nice to know that even Walmart or GNC shops around the country carry these, so I can always find an interesting snack to try if I have nothing else to fall back on.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-15, 14:42

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I wouldn't make any 'bar' type food a daily meal, but when you need road food, these work for me.

I don't mind a bit of sucralose once in a while.

I tend to avoid foods that don't look like what grows. Salted roasted nuts (as long as they aren't in GMO Cottonseed, Corn, Canola or Soy oil) are about as processed as I get.

I avoid GMOs like the plague, and won't even eat foods with dextrose or maltodextrin in them. I do use xylitol but only non-GMO since it is often made from corn.

Healthy eating works. I'm almost 70, am on zero drug prescriptions, and haven't missed a days work since 1964.

I like life and intend to live as long as my body will let me, so to help that along, I take care of it.

Bob