Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 07:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 20
BF:
Progress:
Question Hair loss since diagnosis + metformin

Hi guys,

I'm posting on behalf of my Mum.

She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 months ago and been on a prescribed dosage of 1000mg Metformin ever since. Since about 4 months or so, she has noticed her hair thinning and falling out, in quite considerable clumps and is unsurprisingly very concerned and stressed out about it.

It only started happening since the diabetes diagnosis, prescription of Metformin and changed lifestlye (diet and quit smoking), so presumably, it's of these things that have caused this.

Doing some reading on the web, there are several cases who have reported this as a symptom of Metformin (due to reducing absorption of vit B12?), but also some reports suggesting it could be due to the drastic change in diet, now that she is on a really low-carb diet, without any grains etc.

She has an appointment on Friday to get her blood test done, which include blood-sugar levels and B12 among other things, so hopefully that will help determine the cause.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice in the meantime? I.e. if it were the Metformin, is it worth reducing the dosage? Changing to extended release? Or something else? And if it's the diet, is there a food group anyone can recommend she start inducing again?

Thanks in advance so much!

J
Sponsored Links