Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default LIghtheaded - L-Carnitine and CoQ-10

I began taking L-Carnitine about 6 wks ago.
I started out with 250 mg L-Carnitine before meals. Two weeks ago I increased to 1000 mg before breakfast and lunch and 500 before dinner.

Also about a month ago I started taking CoQ-10, for the first 2 weeks I took 50 mg in the morning. About a week ago I increased to 100 mg in the morning.

Last Friday I was at work and felt really lightheaded and faint. Over the last few days I've noticed often when I stand up I feel lightheaded. In the past this has happened if I don't drink enough water, due to low blood pressure - although at my current weight my blood pressure in the low-normal range. I usually drink between 100-140 ozs a day. When the lightheadness occurs if I drink I do feel better.

I've searched on the net and cannot locate this type of adverse effect to either of these supplements.

Other than the lightheadness I feel great, more energy and less hungry. I would like to continue taking these supplements - I'm not sure the lightheadness is caused by these supplements, but it's the only thing I've changed.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding this? Is is possible that this is happening because I am less hungry and therefore not eating enough? (Although I still have not seen the scale move!)

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

Summer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 21:36

Stats: 420?/325/2 Female 69"
BF:75/70.8/28
Progress:

Are you taking a Pottasium suppliment.
When you drink a lot of water the pottasium can be washed out of your system and cause you to feel light headed and weak.
I hope you feel better soon...2much
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:04

Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks 2much,

I have not been taking potassium but I will try that. I also reduced my L-Carnitine and CoQ-10 and have been feeling better, no more lightheadness. I will probably try increasing one at a time and see if I do OK. Maybe that way I can isolate whether one of these was actually causing the problem.

Summer