Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 155/153/? Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default McDonalds Sausage Egg McMuffin Clone Recipe

This may look like a long recipe, but it's really not. And by the way, it's TOTALLY worth it! I was messing around in the kitchen yesterday morning and tried to think if a way to get that same great taste out of a McDonalds McMuffin with out sacriffiicing the bread. Then lo-and-behold, it dawned on me and the results were truly delicious.This may seem like a lot of work, but once the "buns" are made, it comes together really fast.
"Buns"
-3 eggs, separated
-3 Tbs sour cream
-1 1/2 Tbs splenda(or any other sweetener to taste)
-pinch of cream of tartar
-Oven preheated to 300F
First beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together until you get medium-stuff peaks
Next add the sour cream and sweetener to the tolks and mix to combine
Then mix in a little of the egg whoted to lighten up the yolk mixture
After that, gently fold in the remain whites, being careful not to deflate them too much. some white streaks are fine.
Spoon thin new fluffy mixture onto a baking shhet lined with parchment paper sprayed with non-stick cooking spray(because these little mothers stick like nothing else) into about 8 medium sized mounds. they will spread out a little while baking so don't put them too close to the edge or to each other
Bake 'em for 45 minutes at 300F
Remove and set aside until assembly time

now, the Sausage Egg McMuffin !
-1 egg
-no-carb breakfast sausage(which is almost every kind, just be sure to look)
-shredded cheese(or slices)
-bacon. optional, but it makes it taste a whole lot better
-1 one can of starkist tuna with the lid removed and the label taken off.(save the tuna for another use because as far as i'm concerned, it has no business being in this recipe;unless you like gross tasting stuff)
-preheated oven set to 350F

First, spray the EMPTY AND CLEAN tuna can with non-stick spray and crack in the egg. Put it in the oven and let it bake for about 10 minutes(this is just a guess, i just keep checking to see if its done)
Next, smash the sausage into a patty that's a little biger than the tuna can and fry it up in a skillet along with the bacon until they are both done to your liking.
Once the egg is just about done, remove it from the oven and sprinkle it with as much shredded cheese as you would like,i like sharp cheddar(IMPORTANT: if you are using slices of cheese, ignore this step. don't put the cheese slice in the can because it will not fit and it will just make a sticky mess and make the egg harder to come out at the end) and place it back into the oven so the cheese can melt.
Assembly:
Take two of the "buns" and place one down on a plate(this will be the bottom of the egg mcmuffin, obviously) and place on top of it the sausage patty(at this point add the slice(s) of cheese on top of the sausage)
Remove the egg from the oven and hold it upside down and shake over the sausage until it falls out(it should if the can was lubricated well enough)
Top the egg with some strips of bacon, however many you want, then top it all off with the other "bun" and enjoy!

i hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as i do, as it is really easy to make and is super good. you can also use these "buns" in place of bread or where ever else you would use a bun. let me know how any of yours turn out! peace out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 155/153/? Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

i figured out how to get that muffin feeling back! just make up some of the "pork rind french toast" recipe, but don't add any cinnamon and cut back a little on the sweetener. then fry them up into sandwich size rounds and use them for buns. oh my god, it is so good. and thsese actually DO taste exactly like the sausage egg mcmuffin!peace out!