Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%
Default Taking supplements w/ Flax?

I read somewhere in this forum that you shouldn't take supplements with flax seeds, as they reduce the absorption rate. Is this true?

I have been taking my cal/mag, multi, and vit C in the morning with a flax seed meal/protein powder hot cereal. Should I delay taking my pills (i.e. taking extra at lunch instead)?

Also, the protein powder I use gives me almost 400 mg of potassium a day and there is about 40 mg in my multi. Is this enough, without resorting to other supplements or potassium salts?

shutt22
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 22:39

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation Hi

Hi Shutt22, long time no see!! How ya doing? Well, need I ask, your numbers are fabulous. Congratulations.

The leafs are withering on the vine. Deadly start to the season.

You know, I read something about flax and absortion too many years ago but I think it was debunked. Doreen will probably know, she seems very informed on this stuff.

I think you are getting enought potassium from your food, unless you are working out and sweating alot. I'm getting 200 a day from supplements and I feel fine. When you see the huge amounts in some foods I think we a getting enough.

Nice talking to you and hope to see ya soon!!Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 00:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nancy

In general, it's advised that you take fiber at least an hour away from other supplements or medications, prescription or otherwise. The main concern is with minerals .. calcium especially, and iron as well. Vitamins aren't affected significantly.

Why not take that morning cal-mag at bedtime instead? Magnesium especially is very calming .. it'll help your sleep.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 11:28
Registered Member

Thanks ladies......and the calcium before bed won't hurt my tummy? What about the multi? Before bed as well?

shutt22

(good game last night Nancy...5-2 for the habs)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 12:22
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
.. and the calcium before bed won't hurt my tummy?
Nope. In fact, calcium is the main ingredient in Tums and Rolaids .. except those are poorly absorbed forms.

The multi- should be taken with a meal/ food, so earlier in the day is better. No law says it has to be breakfast though

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 16:27
Registered Member

Thanks Doreen .

I guess you are right about the Tums thing...and I have taken enough tums in my lifetime. I take a drug now called Nexium and it has left me with no heartburn at all (after 15 years of trouble).

As for my cal/mag, I know the calcium in it is partially carbonate. I bought a whack of this stuff before I found out the difference. When I run out, I but one w/o any carbonate.

shutt
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 17:07
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Jamieson's MegaCal is good ... Each caplet contains: Elemental Calcium (from a microbound formula of carbonate and Krebs cycle sources of citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate) 333mg. Elemental Magnesium (from oxide and Krebs cycle sources of citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate) 167mg.

I take just the plain Cal & Mag, but they have formulas with vit. D and/or zinc too.

Walmart and Zellers carry them.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:01
Registered Member

Actually, that's the one I take; Jamieson's Mega Cal w/ Vit D. I bought the 200 caplets bottle.

I just thought I should stay away from carbonate?

shutt
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:48
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Calcium carbonate from crushed oyster shells, or from dolomite (bone meal) is poorly absorbed. Pharmaceutical grade calcium carbonate, and chelated (micro-bound) forms of calcium are better absorbed. Some sources say that the carbonate form must be taken with food, as it requires stomach acid to be absorbed, while the citrate, and other chelate forms can be absorbed on an empty stomach.

I chose a formula that has a blend of calcium that can be absorbed in either situation, since I take 2 doses with meals, and the last dose at bedtime on an empty stomach.

Doreen