Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 11:05

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 174/146/135
BF:32.7%/25%/22%
Progress: 72%
Default Advocare

Hi - I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of/used Advocare? I know of quite a few people who have lost weight using their products and I'm wondering if they can be used in conjuction with a low carb lifestyle? I can't find much about it on the internet so I would appreciate any information/advice any of you may have. Thanks so much for your time!

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 13:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Robin,

Sorry your post didn't get any responses; I guess nobody's really had experience with the products. I know I've never heard of it before.

I took a quick peek at their website .. and it's obviously a multilevel independent distributor plan like Herbalife. The weight loss products look similar. A brief internet search about advocare shows that most satisfaction is with competitive bodybuilders using their sports nutrition products. I saw nothing about the weight loss stuff. Except that they are very, VERY expensive. And you're bound to having to buy from a distributor, you can't get them in a store or compare prices to get a better deal. Plus, there's the inevitable pressure to become a distributor which they lure you with the promise of getting your own purchases at a lower cost.

I'm skeptical about expensive programs that replace real food with shakes, bars and pills, and then allow you to eat one "sensible" meal each day. Hardly the best way to learn permanent healthy eating habits.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 22:39

Default Thanks Doreen!

Doreen - I appreciate your reply and the time you took to research it. I definitely agree with you that the products are expensive. There are a lot of people here in Texas that swear by them, but it could be because they are distributors?? I'm not interested in them at all if I can't continue this WOE while taking them. As of now I am taking Xenadrine for appetite suppression/energy, but am wanting to try to get away from ephedrine for a while. Anyhow, thanks again for your time and have a wonderful night!

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151.5/145.5/135
BF:32%
Progress: 36%
Default My aunt has.

Robin,

My aunt sells and takes Advocare (incedentally we're in Texas too). She's popping aprrox 20 pills/day. To me, that just doesn't seem very healthy right there alone. She has lost approx 20 lbs, but my mom, who does NOT use Advocare and has been doing Atkins since my aunt started Advocare has lost approx the same amount of weight just by low carbing without spending a fortune and gagging on pills. Seriously, my aunt takes 5-6 pills before every meal. But she is not adopting a healthy eating lifestyle, so what's going to happen when she stops taking all those pills??? My guess is that b/c she hasn't learned to eat better that it'll all come back. My mom has more energy and is losing weight the right way. Hope this helps. I'd probably look into it a little more before spending all that money on it.

-Melissa : )
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 11:06

Default Thanks Melissa...

Melissa - Just wanted to say thanks for the reply. I agree that healthy eating habits will help keep the weight off once it's gone and pills alone won't. I just thought that combining the pills with the LC lifestyle might kick my weight loss back into gear...been pretty slow the last few weeks. Twenty pills a day definitely seems like a pain. I noticed from your profile that you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and you and I are the same age. We are also the same height with close to the same goal weights. We ought to keep in touch and track each other's progress. What do you do for a living? Are you married? Well - thanks again for replying and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks!
Robin