Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/187/172 Female 67"
BF:30%
Progress: 6%
Exclamation 52 and beginning Menopause

Hi All: I am finding it harder to loose weight the closer I get to the pause. I am flashing all the time but haven't stop having my tom for 1 year so I am not officially done and in the pause yet. I could really use some support to keep with the program.

I am on Atkins. I have only lost 15 lbs. total since May. Would like to loose 13 more but can seem to. I am about to quit. I know if I do I will gain it all back. I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. Help!!

I have started doing the induction period again. I am on day 4 and haven't lost a lb. nor am i turning pink or purple on the stick. I know I am doing it right since I am doing it the same way I lost the other time. Maybe better since I have more practice now.

I am medicine that makes me retain water so I am going to push my water intake.

Any support or suggestions would be helpful before I throw in the towel.

PS. I am walking again.

Thanks,
Sherrill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 15:07

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Look on the bright side, you have lost weight and surely inches. The medicine could be slowing your loss, but slow is better than not at all.

From mid May to the end of September, I did not lose anything at all. Then I changed my diet and started losing again. I feel I have food allergies and still have sinus pain. I guess the next thing is to eliminate all cheese. Now, I have about 1 and half ounces of cream cheese daily. My diet is very restrictive because of the mold and allergies.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 16:29
Registered Member

THanks for replying ScottJan but I still need to see some change or I figure this is just not working. I am pleased with what i have lost. But it seems like a lot of people have written in about the stall.

What lc are you doing? Maybe I too need to change something but for now I am doing Atkin's induction again and will let you know how it goes. I have been retaining a lot of water today. Drank a lot of water and it just doesn't seem to be doing the job. I think it's all hormones. They do seem to mess with our lives!!

Well, again many thanks for responding. It helps to keep going when people take the time to write me.

Sherrill
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 12:40

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi

I am also 52 have been in menopause for 2 yrs. I take no hormones..and have learned to live with the hot flashes. I had a big stall about a month ago. I added 3 C. green tea each day(helps with water retention) take Q10,zink,mag.,and l-caritine upped my fat to 70% protien 25-30%,carbs 20..I now lose about 2# a week. Hope this might be of some help.
Best wishes and Happy LCing!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Hi Pattie: Thanks for writing. I like the idea of drinking the green tea. Is there a certain kind you drink or just anything will work?

I have been on induction for 8 days and have lost maybe a 1/2 lb. So, different than when i first did it in May. The lbs. came off and my keto sticks turned pink. NOthing happening now. I am confused. I am doing what i did then and maybe even better since I understand it better.

I haven't officially hit the pause yet. I haven't had a period since Sep 4th so maybe I am on the way. I guess I have to wait 1 year before it's official.

I am thinking of switching to Protein Power at the first of the year. I have ordered the books.

Good for you and your continuing success. Germany is a great place to be for good cheese and meat. Also, great bread, sigh.

Thanks for writing. I will check out your fit day diary. THank you for sharing.

Bye,
Sherrill
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi sherril u sound like me im 53 still have tom but also the sweats etc im also on day 4 and havent lost if u stay at it so will i ok
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:41
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Sherri

I'm 53 and perimenopausal so my doctor says, I may or may not get another period, haven't since February and I can't say I mind too much, 40 years of it is plenty for me.

She asked me if I had hot flashes and I answered only when I go shopping, honest to goodness I go to a store and I immediately get all hot and sweaty, she said, no that isn't a hot flash, maybe I'm just allergic to shopping, it isn't one of my favouritist things to do, if it were up to me I'd do my grocery shopping online and have it delivered.

I'm also on meds for high BP, a diuretic and potassium, also an anti-infammatory med for the osteo-arthritis in my knees. These are all meds that have been reported to stall weight loss.

So far the only stalls I've suffered have been because of buying deli meats and having them for lunch every day and the Advantage bars, I stopped using both and dropped several pounds rather quickly.

I figure the reason I'm losing so rapidly is because I have so much to lose, which is a good incentive to stick to this WOE without knowingly "cheating". I wouldn't be good at allowing myself cheat days, they'd likely turn into cheat months so I just don't go there.

Hope it turns around for you soon, that you start dropping lots of lllllbbbb's, it's really encouraging watching the downward trend on the scales instead of the alternative.

Take care
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 11:47
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

LOL!!!! Nikotyme, I just happened to read your post and I laughed so hard, because I'm going through a very bad hot flash time right now and it's always provoked when I go to the public library! The second I set foot in the lobby I start sweating, and by the time I'm at the check out I'm totally red in the face and dripping wet.

What on earth is the trigger that these specific places set off?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:35
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

No idea Rose, but I've noticed it's whenever I go to a store, doesn't matter whether its the mall or a boutique, its always the same reaction.

I've wondered if it's the air conditioning system or maybe it's a form of claustrophobia, but it is embarrassing to be sure, to be standing at the counter waiting to pay and like you say, your face is red and your hair drenched, people look at you strangely wondering if they should dial 911.

I just put a stern look on my face and mutter "these F*in hot flashes", then they relax.

So I reckon I have selective hot flashes eh!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 13:50
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Actually I think it might be the sudden change in temperature. It happens to me in other places, too, although the library is the most pronounced. And I do feel like that cliche--"Is it hot in here or is it me?"

I'm also noticing that I'm far less tolerant of heat than I used to be. It's very hot where I live right now, but it's been hotter than this many times, and when I was younger it didn't bother me. But now, if I set one foot outside, I begin to perspire.

I wish I had some advice for you--I guess I can only hope it passes soon.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:09

Plan: Atkin's then South Beach
Stats: 188/168/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

Hi I seen you post and was wondering if you are on hormone treatment? I am 54 and I started going through the change at about 40 very early but the nice thing was I was through at about 44 and I never really had symptoms until I was put on hormone theropy at 45 so I stopped it and have not had any since.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 12:36

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

lukylady aeveral of my friends went through menopause and never had a hot flash . Now all of a sudden years later theyare experiencing hot flashes and night sweats. We are starting to think that he may have something to do with differnet medicines they are taking.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 20:22

Plan: Atkin's then South Beach
Stats: 188/168/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

Hi just saw your post. I think meds have a lot to do with it. I've been very lucky, since I quit using hormone treatment I no longer have any probs. I have thought about trying again since my Dr. suggested it but so far have resisted. Just don't like to take the chance.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 23:08
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I'm 53. Stopped my HRT late February and did great untill about a month ago, then the flashes started again. Couldn't stand it & started the hormones again. The hot flashes went away but then TOM came along, the first in like forever!!! What's the deal with that???????
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 15:55
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

I'm 52 and at the beginning of the end of menopause. Have you gone to your doctor and had your hormone levels checked? Everyone is different of course, but a whole lot of the temperature things I was blaming on menopause turned out to be related to my blood sugar. It turns out I was a "borderline" type 2 diabetic. When my blood levels improved, many of my symptoms disappeared.

After going years and years and years without going to a doctor unless it was absolutely necessary, I am now working closely both with my GP and an endocrinologist. THis was after trying to self-diagnose and dose myself with herbal and OTC drugs based on what I was reading on the net and from my friends.

I am lucky, I have a doc who is very much into a holistic approach and pro-non traditional medicine. He is the one who recommended Atkins to me. But he also does the lab work and exams necessary to make sure I am doing things that are actually improving my health and monitors my cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, liver and kidney finctioning etc.

I'm not trying to be preachy--just saying what seems to be helpful to me at this point in my life. YMMV.

I can't say much about Atkins because I just started it Sunday. So far so good though.

Last edited by taming : Tue, Sep-07-04 at 15:55. Reason: oops!