Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 10:38

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ohamy.....one thing you could consider is to haveyour dress altered to fit you now....my husband lost 100lbs several years ago and had all of his suits altered to fit his new shape. It makes more sense I guess to alter men's suits since they are so expensive than it does ladies' clothes, but if I really liked something I might considered taking it to a good tailor to see if it could be altered.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 21:20

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Well done on shrinking everyone
I have not very many big clothes -- you know - the big woman that wears the same dress everywhere - that was me
Thus donating isn't on the cards for me
I am very excited for xmas this year because I fit into a beautiful dress that I already have had and it's 6 sizes smaller
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 09:23
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

With me, it depends upon the cost of what I give away or keep. The important thing (to me) was throwing away my big underpants. Don't know why, but there you have it.

In the 80s, I paid $300 for a beautiful black linen job interview pant suit. I still have it. Even though I took out the shoulder pads, it still looks strange, and the pants are a bit too large. I still have it.

Guess I'm weird about getting rid of clothes that don't fit.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 13:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THAT sounds like a suit worth altering.......
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-18, 22:38

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/178/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 62%

I finally did it! I got rid of (or have bagged up at least) quite a few pants. I had some pants that will not stay on and I am tired of rolling the waistband. I finally bought some cute tight leggings to wear with my really big shirts (I don't like tight shirts anyway, being a first grade teacher I just don't think they are too appropriate, for me anyway). For the first time in a very long time I bought a size L, with no X (or XX or XXX LOL). I'm very slowly updating my wardrobe

Thanks ladies! And congrats on all those pounds lost!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-18, 07:30
Doing My Best

I realize this conversation is about clothes, but have to admit that in my case there's a lot about body shame attached to my clothes. So much of this attitude is attached to my religious upbringing that I don't know which part of it, if any, is really my OWN.

There's another thread here on the forum https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481737 where I posted yesterday, "I really like my body.."

So, even though I have no sleeveless clothing because I HATE my upper arms, as whole, I've overcome some of the brainwashing. Instead of oversized shirts (which I've been wearing for the past 30 years) I now own and wear form-fitting tops and skinny jeans. Although it's a bit late at 73, I'm now flaunting the body I worked so hard to lose the protective fat from.

So giving away the big clothes is cathartic for me.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-18, 09:23

BF:

73 is as good an age as any to live life, and make changes!! Life is about growth at ALL ages.

As I have a pot belly that just grew since summer, I too have seen my body differently. At a party yesterday I felt inadequate as I choice the wrong shirt which oddly made my belly protrude obviously and several people were looking at my belly when talking to me. Maybe it was the wrong choice of jeans with a tight waist that contributed...... but ya, we are judged at every turn for our clothes and appearance......
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 08:44

BF:

I went through an amoire yesterday that was full of sweaters, shirts, pants and shorts that I haven't worn in probably 10 or more years. Most were in excellent shape and some might actually fit me, but I decided that if it hadn't worn any of it in that many years then I didn't need any of it. I bagged all of it up (9 tall kitchen bags) and loaded it into the back of my car to take to the local charity. I found that now that I am retired I dress differently anyway, and I am going to get rid of any clothes that I can't or don't wear. Its time to purge! Once I get my furniture cleaned out I am going to attack my closet. All will be donated to our local small town charity, which is kind of like a good will store. Once I finish with clothes, I am going to tackle the shoes!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 10:06
Doing My Best

I have a plan to de-clothe as a gift to myself for 2019.
Good for you, all who will be brave.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 15:04

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

FINALLY took a whole stack of nicer clothing that hasn't fit me in years to GoodWill on Dec 31st (in order to make the donation in time for this year's tax write off.)

These were all high quality, fully-lined pant-suits and skirt-suits in sizes 18W to 24W that I'd purchased while practicing law. Classic stuff that, in theory, should never really goes out of style. But, even the smallest of these suits are now several sizes too big, so much so that altering it to fit would probably cost more than the suits did to begin with. Plus, I just don't wear this kind of stuff anymore.

I hung onto it all because I was planning to take it to a consignment shop rather than just giving it away. Somehow never got around to doing that and finally realized that, at this point, probably none of the consignment shops would take any of it anyway as it is now all 4 to 8 years out of date.

It's so nice to have that portion of my closet back! For Christmas I gifted myself with 2 pairs of lovely black 100% cotton denim jeans (I HATE stretchy jeans), a pair of form fitting leggings (something I've never before worn), plus a half dozen pretty form-fitting sweaters and fitted tops. I am so DONE with "big shirts."
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 09:44

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/178/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 62%

Congrats on your progress!

Pants I can get rid of. Shirts are harder. The shirts that were tight are now loose and long enough to wear with leggings. My tshirt collection (I am a teacher, it's a big one) are now gym shirts, sleep shirts, and weekend lounge wears. My goal is to wait until summer to buy new shirts.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-19, 13:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is a good thread. About 2 months ago I posted a NSV about saggy baggy underwear. But I haven’t been able to get rid of them...

Different brands fit so differently (jockey xl or sz 8 is way bigger than Victoria’s Secret cotton sz xl) I’m almost afraid to buy new ones...I hate underwear where I can feel the elastic gripping...

tmi?

However, i have started wearing each pair and at the end of the day if they are baggy I’m throwing them out instead of putting them in the hamper...getting rid of them one pair at a time. It seems to make it easier although I also feel like a bit of a weirdo.

#28   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/255.4/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Ht. 5'11"
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
This is a good thread. About 2 months ago I posted a NSV about saggy baggy underwear. But I haven’t been able to get rid of them...

Different brands fit so differently (jockey xl or sz 8 is way bigger than Victoria’s Secret cotton sz xl) I’m almost afraid to buy new ones...I hate underwear where I can feel the elastic gripping...

tmi?

However, i have started wearing each pair and at the end of the day if they are baggy I’m throwing them out instead of putting them in the hamper...getting rid of them one pair at a time. It seems to make it easier although I also feel like a bit of a weirdo.

I have been doing the same thing! I bought some new underwear last year and while I'm not sure if it's the same size or not (Jockey) it fits tighter than my old stretched out ones. When I come across a really loose pair or if it has a hole I will throw it out after wearing it. I'm going to need to buy new underwear at this rate!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 17:27

BF:

Re my clothing purge progress.......I am now going through a dresser that contains underwear, socks and nightgowns. It also had some long underwear and turtlenecks in there. I found a lot of underwear to through out that the elastic was shot, and also threw out the ones I would never wear. The ones I wear are now taking their place.

I also threw out all the long underwear and turtlenecks.....I just can't abide turtlenecks anymore even if they fit! Socks were easier. Since I am retired, I threw out all work type knee highs and hose and leggings.

I found that lots of stuff I had not worn in years that had elastic had ruined....even things like knee highs.....

This is getting fun. Can't wait to get to my closet!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 18:28

BF:

ROFL and I am hoping with the "spring cleaning" that all my turtle necks will show up!!

Have cut a number of items into dishcloths to repurpose. One item in the give away pile so far. Baby steps...