Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 10:35

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Nawchem, the taxes sound like a mess. Sorry about that. You haven't really said what's going on with your roommate other than she is continually taking advantage of your willingness to give her rides and not setting boundaries around that. Hopefully, it's early enough in the game to sort all that out and change the dynamic. You've gotten some really great advice about that in our other thread. Maybe re-reading some of that will give you a boost and help you feel like you are headed in the right direction.

Today I did a periodic fitness test that's built into my bodyweight strength training routine. (I'm writing all this down, because I really want to be able to look back when I'm in mediocre instead of terrible shape and see that I have really progressed.)

Sumo squats: The great news is that I did more than double the number of squats I did the first time (20 vs. 8), and I'm getting noticeably lower into them. This is huge for me because my knees and hips were in such bad shape I was having trouble getting off the sofa. This is definitely getting easier, and it's also easier getting up off the floor, though still challenging. Two months ago I would have to find something solid and puullll. Now I can brace myself with one hand on a chair or table and the other on one knee and just make it up. This might be better if I wasn't dealing with the stupid ankle injuries.

Forearm plank: I only added about 10 seconds to my forearm plank, which surprised me. I got to 42 seconds instead of 33. I thought I'd at least be able to do 1 minute, because of all the core work I've been doing with the Pilates. But it's progress and I'll take it.

Push-ups: I still can't do any push-ups (even on my knees). The book advised that if you can't do any push-ups to just hold a full plank to build muscle. I think this helps my core, but not my arm muscles, which are really the weak point. Going forward, I think I'll just do sort-of half push-ups (go down as far as a I can and back up). That will work work my arms more.

Break Dancer: I still can't do any. The modified exercise I've been doing (lifting from my knees onto my toes) has been improving, but as soon as I tried to flip over, my arm couldn't hold me up and I fell right on my butt. This reflects my total lack of arm strength that shows with the push-ups, too. I need to add a modification for this part of the exercise to help with this.

So, that's the state of my fitness. Still terrible, but slightly less terrible than it was. I'm supposed to go on to the next segment in the book, but I think I'll repeat the last two weeks of work outs at least once to really try to build some more arm muscle before going on.

Goal: Build some muscle, increase my flexibility, and become more capable.

Feb. - 24/28 days

Mar. 1 - Modified Beg. Pilates
Mar. 2 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D12
Mar. 3 - switched to the Beginner Pilates and added side kicks (there are a bunch more moves in the regular beginner plan and I plan to add maybe one a week until I'm doing the full beginner plan
Mar. 4 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D13
Mar. 5 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 6 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D15 (Switched to all upper body. Nearly got the better of me.)
Mar. 7 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 8 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D16 (all lower body; felt this some as I was going to sleep)
Mar. 9 - Beginner Pilates (feeling those side kicks--especially after the lower body workout yesterday)
Mar. 10 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D18 (figured out a modification for one of the exercises I was struggling with, more of a prep than a modification; even that was tricky)
Mar. 11 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 12 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D19
Mar. 13 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 14 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D20
Mar. 15 - Beginner Pilates (added Teaser Prep I)
Mar. 16 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D22 & gardening
Mar. 17 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 18 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D23
Mar. 19 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 20 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D25
Mar. 21 - 0
Mar. 22 - 1/2 mile walk
Mar. 23 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 24 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D26 & 1/2 mile stroll with dog
Mar. 25 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 26 - 0
Mar. 27 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D27
Mar. 28 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 29 - Bodyweight Strength Training Fitness test
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 12:39

Nawchem, sorry your new housemate has turned out to be such pain. Try to get into the gym and blow out a little bit of that stress and glucose if you can and get back on track with eating.

I was going to going walking yesterday as my workout, but then the day got away from me and I had to run an errand before somewhere closed, and so on. It's not part of my routine yet. I've also been thinking that while I don't mind walking, I don't really like walking for the sake of it. I'm perfectly fine walking to and from somewhere, just not in a pointless loop just to walk.

Today I walked up to the farmer's market and back. I thought I was going to buy some veggies and maybe some meat, but everything is like two to three times what it is at the grocery--even the organics at the grocery. I'm not exactly on a tight budget, but sheesh! So, I didn't buy anything at all. But the walk was good and I saw a couple of things I might buy next time (maybe some cheese, etc.)

Feb. - 24/28 days

Mar. 1 - Modified Beg. Pilates
Mar. 2 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D12
Mar. 3 - switched to the Beginner Pilates and added side kicks (there are a bunch more moves in the regular beginner plan and I plan to add maybe one a week until I'm doing the full beginner plan
Mar. 4 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D13
Mar. 5 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 6 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D15 (Switched to all upper body. Nearly got the better of me.)
Mar. 7 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 8 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D16 (all lower body; felt this some as I was going to sleep)
Mar. 9 - Beginner Pilates (feeling those side kicks--especially after the lower body workout yesterday)
Mar. 10 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D18 (figured out a modification for one of the exercises I was struggling with, more of a prep than a modification; even that was tricky)
Mar. 11 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 12 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D19
Mar. 13 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 14 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D20
Mar. 15 - Beginner Pilates (added Teaser Prep I)
Mar. 16 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D22 & gardening
Mar. 17 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 18 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D23
Mar. 19 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 20 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D25
Mar. 21 - 0
Mar. 22 - 1/2 mile walk
Mar. 23 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 24 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D26 & 1/2 mile stroll with dog
Mar. 25 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 26 - 0
Mar. 27 - Bodyweight Strength Training W2D27
Mar. 28 - Beginner Pilates
Mar. 29 - Bodyweight Strength Training Fitness test
Mar. 30 - 0
Mar. 31 - 2 mile walk
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 22:44
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

City the sunshine is so nice now. I love the feel of dirt under my feet and the sounds of twigs cracking. Too bad about the prices.

I tried to take your advice, I didn't really eat low carb but I ate natural, no gluten and a million times better than I have been. I bought beans, cheese, strawberries, peaches, and yogurt.

I notice more things missing but I am grateful for what shes left me. I lock my door every time I leave my room, I've started calling my room the vault.

Are we going to keep the challenge next month? I hope so...
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 10:11

I plan to keep going! It definitely helps me stay on track--this thread is great for accountability!

My legs are a little sore from my walk yesterday and my back aches. I'm disappointed in that. I used to take long walks all the time like it was no big deal, and this shows how out of shape I am. I'm trying to figure out a way I can work in more walking like that. It really fits with my goal of "become more capable."

On top of that, my elbows are aching, too. I've been battling tendonitis in both my elbows for a couple of years and every time I think they're finally better, I do something that sets them off again. Apparently trying to do push-ups a couple days ago was the latest.

I'm lounging around right now, but later I'm going to try to do some Pilates. The stretching will be good for my back and it will be easy on my arms.

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 13:30
Registered Member

I hurt my bottom part of my elbow over a year ago and it still flares. Do you have braces? Stretches? I've heard that helps.

Week 5
4/1 30 min hill mode treadmill-definite mood lifter
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 12:12

I don't have any braces for my elbows. I've had some ongoing issues with joints and last time I went in for a round of physical therapy, I was more focused on my hand, which was actually causing me functional impairments, so my elbows took a back seat. I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks, mainly to see about my ankles, but I'll talk to her about my elbows, too.

I ended up not doing anything yesterday. But I also realized that I hadn't taken my B vitamin for a couple of days, thinking that I probably didn't need it. I usually take it before bed. Then when I thought about how I felt (blah, lack of energy) when I woke up the last couple of mornings, I thought I should start taking it again. I did and I woke up this morning and easily went to to my workout. So, B-vitamins it is!

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
Apr. 2 - Beg. Pilates
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 12:44
Registered Member

My impression is that Pilates is challenging! You said it is therapeutic. Is it helping in that way?
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 11:25

Nawchem, I think it depends on what kind of Pilates you're doing. The man that created the Pilates exercise system originally created it as physical therapy for hospitalized patients during WWI in England. So, if you start at the beginning and go gently, it's great. The advanced exercises are quite challenging, but you're meant to work up to them with the other exercises over months and years.

However, Joseph Pilates' widow didn't protect the trademark on his name and they lost it, so now anyone can call anything Pilates. If you go to a "Pilates" class at a gym, it might be a lot harder, because people expect a "challenging" workout when they go to a gym. Also, it might not really be Pilates. I've never taken classes. I work out of a book that was written by a teacher trained and certified in the original method.

I've decided to go back and repeat the whole first series of my bodyweight strength training workouts. Because they're based on time (do what you can in 30 seconds, then rest 30 seconds) rather than a certain number of reps, I can keep improving. I just don't feel ready for the more advanced series yet. There are two exercises that I can't do any of yet. I feel like I ought to be able to do at least one before moving on!

Goal: Build some muscle, increase my flexibility, and become more capable. Be able to get up off the floor easily and without needing an assist from a stationary object.

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
Apr. 2 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 3 - Bodyweight Strength Training W1D1
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-19, 10:33

I spent some time considering my goals yesterday. I wanted to re-work them into things that are a little more measurable. I'm not sure I have them all down exactly, yet, but I've made some changes. In part, this is also motivated by having achieved the first part of my goal ("build some muscle"), but knowing that what I've done isn't nearly sufficient for where I want to be. Also, what do I mean by "capable"?

I also looked at Mark Sisson's (Mark's Daily Apple, Primal Blueprint) work-out program that offers some progressions for doing push-ups, longer planks, better squats, and pull-ups. Pull-ups are a loooong way in my future and I'm doing okay on improving squats. But I'm going to incorporate the progressions for push-ups and planks into my bodyweight strength training routine.

The push-ups starts with two sets of 40 wall push-ups, resting as needed during the set as you build up. I tried yesterday and did one set with a rest break after the first 30. (He says take up to 3 minutes to do the set, if you need.) When you can do that, you go to knee push-ups. The planks start at 90 seconds, which is full arms and knees and then 45 seconds on each side, also two sets. I might be able to do that, so I'd go to the next progression, which is forearms and knees. I think this will go a long way toward helping me build some arm and upper body strength.

Also, after my Pilates this morning, I got up without having to find a desk or table to push up with! Yes, I still had to use both my hands (one on a knee, the other on the floor), and it was hard, but this is progress!

Goals: To be more capable, able to take part in active travel, and participate in new activities.
  • Sit on the ground and stand up using just my feet
  • Walk for two hours without feeling it
  • Climb 4 flights of stairs without getting winded
  • Run 1 mile
Interim goals: Stand up from seated position easily using just my feet, walk 2 miles without feeling it, climb 2 flights of stairs without getting winded, do a push-up (knees)

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
Apr. 2 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 3 - Bodyweight Strength Training W1D1 & 40 wall push-ups (one set; rest after 30)
Apr. 4 - Beg. Pilates
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-19, 22:27
Registered Member

Very interesting about pilates, I did it with a gym trainer, ending up hurting my back.

I got a freaking sinus infection - turns out it's an asthma trigger. The cool news is my blood pressure was 116/79 and that's taking pseudoephedrine which raises bp.

I like your goal about standing up, didn't we do that all the time as kids?
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 11:40

That sucks about the sinus infection. Take it easy and let your body use all the energy it needs to fight it off and heal up.

I don't really remember being able to stand up just using my feet, but maybe I could. Three of those goals come from Mark Sisson, who thinks they're good indicators of fitness--that's the standing up, walking for 2 hours, the running. The climbing stairs is mine. Right now I get winded walking up two flights of stairs in my apartment building. I'd like to be able to run a mile, but I don't ever want to take up running. It's a decent measure of cardiovascular capacity and nice to be able to do in an emergency, but I'll probably use other types of exercise to get there. Maybe HIIT on the hills around my house or swimming, if I can join a gym with a pool.

Goals: To be more capable, able to take part in active travel, and participate in new activities.
  • Run 1 mile
Interim goals: Stand up from seated position easily using just my feet, walk 2 miles without feeling it, climb 2 flights of stairs without getting winded, do a push-up (knees)

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
Apr. 2 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 3 - Bodyweight Strength Training W1D1 & 40 wall push-ups (one set; rest after 30)
Apr. 4 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 5 - Bodywt. Strength Trng. W1D2, wall push-ups & planks
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 20:04
Registered Member

City I saw on Livestong.com a squat challenge. There's a facebook group challenge. One of the exercises is going up and down from the ground.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-19, 10:23

I don't think I'm ready for a squat challenge. I can't even do one full, proper squat and I can't get up from sitting without putting my hand on something for leverage. Part of it is that my ankles don't bend, part is my bad knees, and part is really weak hip muscles. I think I can improve all of those things over time, but it's going to be a long time.

• Run 1 mile

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
Apr. 2 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 4 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 6 - Beg. Pilates
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 10:16

• Run 1 mile

Feb. - 24/28 days
Mar. - 28/31 days

Apr. 1 -
Apr. 2 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 4 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 6 - Beg. Pilates
Apr. 5 - Bodywt. Strength Trng. W1D4
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 19:56
Registered Member

City I can see your point about the squats and injuries and weaknesses.

I did something!!!

Week 5 (another darn asthma week)
4/1 30 min hill mode treadmill-definite mood lifter
4/6 walked 0.6miles
4/7 walked 0.6 miles

Week 6 goals
1. start ab work, restart my love of squats
2. continue stretches and ease into cardio again