Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 07:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Funny story. I was in the local book store once long ago and somehow got talking to the owner about the Black Plague. Since I have so many books on it, I mentioned that I had the largest collection of books on the Black Plague in Maine. Her eyes got really big and she said, "We had the Black Plague here in Maine?"

That is funny! I've been luckier with our librarians, some of whom seem to share my odd interests. One time the librarian called me to the desk & showed me a black widow spider she found in the parking in the back of the library. She said she saved it for me because she knew I'd be interested. And I was! I took it home to show the kids. Unfortunately, it died before I could let it loose. They're sort of rare around here, so it may not have lived long anyway.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 08:57

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Funny story. I was in the local book store once long ago and somehow got talking to the owner about the Black Plague. Since I have so many books on it, I mentioned that I had the largest collection of books on the Black Plague in Maine. Her eyes got really big and she said, "We had the Black Plague here in Maine?"

That made me think of my mom. She loved reading suspense novels, including those by the author Robin Cook. She walked up to the librarian one day and asked "where can I find the Robin Cook books?" And the horrified librarian replied "robin cookbooks???"
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 09:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's hilarious!!!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 09:54

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Those are both funny. I am fluent in English and French and can read Spanish, but in Spain nearly everything I heard sounded like "robin cookbooks" since I couldn't tell where the breaks between words were, like you can when reading. People were alarmed by the looks on my face. Curiously I don't have this problem with people from Puerto Rico, Central & South America; they must have different cadences of speaking Spanish.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 11:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 210/172/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm actually re-reading my Steven King book The Stand right now.
I'm on page 358. It's over 850 pages, but someone I know has the unabridged version and it's over 1000 pages.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 17:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Last summer I made the long trip to Bangor, and with a little help from local family , finally, found Stephen King 's home. Had my teens pose where hundreds of others had left worn down grass for a photo in front of a house that so fit King's writu
ings. This was my last attempt to encourage my boys to pick up a Stephen King novel.

I personally cannot watch or read his works. Scares the bejeeeses out of me.What a great writer.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 02:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Those are both funny. I am fluent in English and French and can read Spanish, but in Spain nearly everything I heard sounded like "robin cookbooks" since I couldn't tell where the breaks between words were, like you can when reading. People were alarmed by the looks on my face. Curiously I don't have this problem with people from Puerto Rico, Central & South America; they must have different cadences of speaking Spanish.

Cubans are the fastest I've met: there are no breaks between words

I have the full length The Stand and just finished reading it! Like a trilogy length, only in one book. Enjoyed it much.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 05:25

BF:

I thought "The Stand" was amazing, but he often goes just a bit too far in his writings. I maintain he's a great storyteller, but not a great writer.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 05:32

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Love the book stories. Bet librarians have many other tales to tell!

Reading is certainly a rewarding way to pass the time at home. Nothing scary for me though. DH just read The Plague by Camus and declared it dull. If I decide to read a pandemic horror story, I'll pick something really thrilling.

Our community is not a "horror story" at this time. Would I know?? I haven't been out the door since Friday the thirteenth. We'll need some groceries soon--eggs at least. So in a few days, I may find out how polite and compliant my neighbors are (or are not) in the grocery store. One friend estimated a 3-hour queue to get into Costco.

Whatever your situation, please keep in mind that NOTHING is the best thing we can do. I choose to believe the medical professionals who say it's too soon to relax our restrictions, voluntary or not.

Stay safe. Stay home. Stay well.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 05:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Maybe today my two Instacart orders will arrive as scheduled. Maybe not. Only time will tell.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 10:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

One book I read years ago and found 'unputdownable' is The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston. Non-fiction account of how the ebola virus nearly got loose in the US. Chilling and fascinating.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-20, 05:50

BF:

Another good "survival after disaster" book is "The Day After." Not sure of the author.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-20, 11:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Love the book stories. Bet librarians have many other tales to tell!

Reading is certainly a rewarding way to pass the time at home. Nothing scary for me though. DH just read The Plague by Camus and declared it dull. If I decide to read a pandemic horror story, I'll pick something really thrilling.

Indeed! To that end, it would be better if folks want to recommend their favorite fiction (horror or otherwise ) to start up a thread for that purpose in Everything Else off-topic section. Let's keep *this* thread dedicated to low-carb related support and daily concerns

Stay safe and stay well, everyone

Doreen